Pulled on an E55 AMG this morning

REPCobra10

Established Member
Patisi, your point is well noted. You are correct in that suspension is very important for how well a car puts its power to the ground. I'll also say that I don't know a whole Hell of a lot about suspension set-ups and this and that. Quite simply put, my point is that I havn't even began to think about upgrading suspension for better weight transfer and such because I am simply having no problems launching on the street or the track with the way the cars sets on the stock suspension. Maybe when I get my Whipple soon, the need for some suspension upgrades will arise, but until then, I feel as if I will be fine without any upgrades. In regards to the racing scene in South Florida, YES, there are many fast cars with their drivers ready to throw down on the street or on the track. The scene is huge down here! I don't know where you get the idea that Cobra's never race other Cobra's either, as there have been many videos floating around on this forum of such racing. I've raced a few Cobra's as well but the outcome was just so close, a tie for the most part, so I felt no need to post the event. Anyways, you seem like a knowledgeable guy and I can see where you are coming from with your comments. Take it easy man.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Patisi said:
Correction, Yes, I am the guy that believes a modded Cobra will NOT walk an '06 C6 Z51 Vette. Why because I have seen them at the Track specifically at the Streets of Willow and on the 58 FWY East from Mojave to Boron.

Here is the primary reason why, you will need a considerable improvement to your suspension to begin to put all the power to the pavement which over 90% of hte guys that mod their Snakes don't do. As a matter of fact, I will venture as far as to say that suspension mods do not cross the minds of most guys in their quest for more HP.

I am not impressed with sigs that make all that power, yet do not also tell us what they have done to bring it to the pavement. It is hard enough with the tire spin we get with the stock power to the pavement, yet, now we see Cobras with power numbers north of 400 RWHP without suspension mods. Go figure how they are gettting an extra 100 HP to the pavement when the stock HP is a challenge, and we all talk launch skills?

with my current mods, i have trouble hooking up at all in first and sometimes in second, but from a roll (how ricer does that sound??) my car beat a c6 vert with only a FIPK and catback. true, suspension mods are not tops on most people's list of mods, but sticky tires do go a long way. i might have difficulty from a dig right now without drag radials, but a pulleyed cobra with drag radials WILL beat a non z-06 c6 from a dig. from a roll, it would be ugly.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
it had a badge on the back that said s4 clearly and then had a red stripe on the badge immediately to the left of the "s" that looked like an "r" blended into the 's'. anyways, it was pretty quick from a roll, and it would have gotten ugly if i ran out 4th gear, but there were other cars on the road--way in front of me though. this was before my port. definately a blast.

well the S4 has that red stripe next to it..... the RS4 was just released 2 and a half weeks ago to dealers, so if you're saying the car you ran wasn't a brand new one then there's no way it was an RS.... they also have a governor set on the tach to where you can't bring the car past 7000rpm (redlines at 8250)for a certain amount of miles, i think 1500...

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
s4 it was then. it looked new but that was a couple of weeks ago, and the badge is exactly as you mentioned it. bring on the RS4 then, i'll give em 1500 miles to get used to their car or whatever. i saw the article in motor trend or whatever comparing the m3 to the rs4 and amg mercedes--all three looked great.

Patisi

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
Patisi, your point is well noted. You are correct in that suspension is very important for how well a car puts its power to the ground. I'll also say that I don't know a whole Hell of a lot about suspension set-ups and this and that. Quite simply put, my point is that I havn't even began to think about upgrading suspension for better weight transfer and such because I am simply having no problems launching on the street or the track with the way the cars sets on the stock suspension. Maybe when I get my Whipple soon, the need for some suspension upgrades will arise, but until then, I feel as if I will be fine without any upgrades. In regards to the racing scene in South Florida, YES, there are many fast cars with their drivers ready to throw down on the street or on the track. The scene is huge down here! I don't know where you get the idea that Cobra's never race other Cobra's either, as there have been many videos floating around on this forum of such racing. I've raced a few Cobra's as well but the outcome was just so close, a tie for the most part, so I felt no need to post the event. Anyways, you seem like a knowledgeable guy and I can see where you are coming from with your comments. Take it easy man.

One Terminator guy to another, we are cool. I have a healthly respect for the E55 AMG because I have done a more than my fair share of runs with the car, in stock form. I am not sure how many of the owners mod these cars, but there are mods for them out there doing the same things we do to our Snakes.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
s4 it was then. it looked new but that was a couple of weeks ago, and the badge is exactly as you mentioned it. bring on the RS4 then, i'll give em 1500 miles to get used to their car or whatever. i saw the article in motor trend or whatever comparing the m3 to the rs4 and amg mercedes--all three looked great.

yeah i'm familiar with that article, it was C&D..... i've seen 0-60 times as low as 4.2 seconds for the RS4.... and the top end is where the car really shines.... it's pretty ****in fast from a roll

REPCobra10

Established Member
Patisi said:
One Terminator guy to another, we are cool. I have a healthly respect for the E55 AMG because I have done a more than my fair share of runs with the car, in stock form. I am not sure how many of the owners mod these cars, but there are mods for them out there doing the same things we do to our Snakes.

Alright man, it's good were cool after a couple of minor disagreements in a couple of threads :beer: . I have great respect for all AMG cars as well because they are just simply brutal in acceleration. I've raced an E55 once in my old '03 Lightning (12.22 @ 111.76 mph BEST) on the street as well, once from a dig and once from a roll-on and let me just say that it wasn't pretty...FOR ME ANYWAYS! That thing ate me alive out of the hole and pulled like a train from the roll-on. I don't know if he was modded but the car was loud and sounded like an angry SOB! Also, there are plenty of guys modding the E55 and other AMG vehicles as well. Check out DragTimes.com and look up the E55 AMG and you should find a video of a modded one running 10.90's on slicks. It is truly a bad-ass video! Anyways, take it easy man.

REPCobra10

Established Member
2001BlackSVT said:
yeah i'm familiar with that article, it was C&D..... i've seen 0-60 times as low as 4.2 seconds for the RS4.... and the top end is where the car really shines.... it's pretty ****in fast from a roll

Ya, I have that article too! That RS4 is hands down one of the most gorgeous cars ever made, in my opinion of course. Wasn't the RS4 up against the M3 and the C55 AMG in that comparison? Hell, I'd like to pimp the boulevard in any one of those three cars! Anyways, its all-wheel drive along with its 414 bhp motor definitely gives it a huge advantage over the other 2 cars in the comparison tests. I can't wait to see one driving around on the street so I can drool over it some more :lol: Take it easy guys.

SL65.KILLA

Just loving life
Established Member
A few of those guys (E55) modify, and they are running around 10.9 with the spray. My belief is that the AMG's are vunerable at the start because of the weight disadvantage and tougher from a roll. Although the ESP system helps control tire spin, it also cuts the engine momentarily and causes a lull. I have very little fear that a car would compete with me from a roll, and more fear that it will get me from a dig, although maintaining the lead for more than a quarter will be hard as hell. :beer:

Patisi

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
Alright man, it's good were cool after a couple of minor disagreements in a couple of threads :beer: . I have great respect for all AMG cars as well because they are just simply brutal in acceleration. I've raced an E55 once in my old '03 Lightning (12.22 @ 111.76 mph BEST) on the street as well, once from a dig and once from a roll-on and let me just say that it wasn't pretty...FOR ME ANYWAYS! That thing ate me alive out of the hole and pulled like a train from the roll-on. I don't know if he was modded but the car was loud and sounded like an angry SOB! Also, there are plenty of guys modding the E55 and other AMG vehicles as well. Check out DragTimes.com and look up the E55 AMG and you should find a video of a modded one running 10.90's on slicks. It is truly a bad-ass video! Anyways, take it easy man.

I have a neighbor that has a 2005 E55 AMG and we have tested the car against my stock '04 Cobra and '05 GTO M6 on the track and the 58 FWY and we have done runs to Vegas as well at pretty good speeds. Here is the deal on that car. It is what we would call a "Road Car" in the States. The GTO is closer to the type of character than the Snake is.

I have written on this in some threads before. People ask me which car do prefer the Snake of the Goat? simply put the Snake is a sprinter, the Goat is a mid distance runner, and the E55 is a long distance runner.

You begin to understand and appreciate the E55 car on road trips where feel the tune of the suspension, the suspension begins to shows its stuff, for example how it squats where you feather the throttle, and the tires angle out, and the springs stiffen on the fwy.

Plus, It simply never runs out of breath. The Goat has teh stamina too mainly because it has such a large motor to go with it, it does not squat as much but does have these charateristics.

The Snake is simply nasty not of all that refinement, she is just that a King Cobra that is poised to strike at a any moment, just dont ask her to do too many times or for long periods of time, that 4.6 soon begins to slowly run out of breath. I'd be willing to pay 10 more grand for the Cobra today with a heavly tuned suspension that will put all that power to the pavement and take me around the twisties as well. I can see it in my mind's eye a Cobra that is carvign upi the canyons in and around LA.

silversti

Established Member
REPCobra10 said:
2.93"/4# Combo through a Ported Eaton (~16.5 psi boost) with supporting mods of course. You're the same guy that believes a modified Cobra can't pull on a stock C6 aren't you?

ahh...now it makes sense...you're modded......my dad has a e55 and with the button shifting on the steering wheel not many cars can hang.....think it does something like a 12.4 STOCK so a non-modded cobra would get spanked easily

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
silversti said:
ahh...now it makes sense...you're modded......my dad has a e55 and with the button shifting on the steering wheel not many cars can hang.....think it does something like a 12.4 STOCK so a non-modded cobra would get spanked easily

not many non-modded cobras around, and with a good driver, 12.4 can be had in an e-55. with a good driver, many stock cobras were seeing 12.7, some even better. stock for stock e-55 is definately faster, but not 'spanking' faster--not a big deal really, but stock cobras are pretty rare.

Users who are viewing this thread