Pulley Boy Style Pulley Puller Help

rotorwing70

Established Member
I am in the process of building a homemade pulley puller and was wandering if anyone could give me the measurements for the front and back plates. I have all the information I need for the hardware I just need the basic dimensions for the plates. Any help would be appreciated.

dougwg

Established Member
back=1/2" CRS
front=1/2" CRS

This should be ok but with out seeing your design it's hard to tell.
Remember you can always go thicker.

I like "creativity" but you may find that in the long run, your better off going with a purposely built Pulley Puller from Amazon Racing.

rotorwing70

Established Member
Thanks but !!

Maybe my wife is right, I don't explain things well. Not concerned with the thickness of the plates, as I will be using an alloy with much less deflection than cold roll steel. What I need are the physical dimensions of the front and back plates, not the holes or taps, just the general dimensions ie. width, length, radius of cut out for back plate, etc. I can "engineer" a setup but my lazy streak makes me try the easy way out first. I'm also a cheap SOB so the 150.00 + for a "Purpose Built" puller is obscene. I have access to the largest machine shop in the Southeast and I can assemble one as good or better than the commercially available ones for 5.00 in materials. Any help would be appreciated.

dougwg

Established Member
:shrug: Ah well ....I tried to help :shrug:

Let me know where you buy your materials from... cuz I pay a lot more then $5 for grade 8 nuts and hardened threaded shafting and that don't include the steel for the puller or the thrust bearing.

Seems to me if you have the largest machine shop in the Southeast at your disposal they should be able to figure out what the "physical dimensions" should be. :rolleyes:

I wish you well in your endeavors

Last edited:

rotorwing70

Established Member
sore toes

Now see, I just knew you could not be a nice guy about this. I don't know where you get off dogging me about what I can or cannot do. I'm not trying to go into competition with anyone, just save myself a few bucks and have some fun making a new tool for my toolbox. As if it were any of your business most of the materials I will use are over run scrap and the graded bolts, hardened washer, M8 studs etc. I buy at $1.50 a pound in Guntersville, Al, from Mike's Surplus. One thing you are correct about is I will have no problem determining a proper design for a simple toolbox item like this puller. I don't know what you perceive your qualifications to be in regards to being an authority on the matter of my abilities, but let me assure you, you will fall short of your goal in a pissing match with me.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Re: sore toes

Originally posted by rotorwing70
I don't know what you perceive your qualifications to be in regards to being an authority on the matter of my abilities, but let me assure you, you will fall short of your goal in a pissing match with me.

maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see anything in Doug's post that could be construed as a comment (unfavorable or otherwise) on your abilities.... :shrug:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator

Now see, I just knew you could not be a nice guy about this. I don't know where you get off dogging me about what I can or cannot do. I'm not trying to go into competition with anyone, just save myself a few bucks and have some fun making a new tool for my toolbox. As if it were any of your business most of the materials I will use are over run scrap and the graded bolts, hardened washer, M8 studs etc. I buy at $1.50 a pound in Guntersville, Al, from Mike's Surplus. One thing you are correct about is I will have no problem determining a proper design for a simple toolbox item like this puller. I don't know what you perceive your qualifications to be in regards to being an authority on the matter of my abilities, but let me assure you, you will fall short of your goal in a pissing match with me.

Take a chill pill. OK?:beer:

rotorwing70

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
:shrug: Ah well ....I tried to help :shrug:

Seems to me if you have the largest machine shop in the Southeast at your disposal they should be able to figure out what the "physical dimensions" should be. :rolleyes:

I am part of the "they" in the above quote!!! The inflection is obvious, (rolleyes) Doug wonders if I have access to a large machine shop why can’t we figure out the dimensions ourselves. I can, we can, but thought it might be a nice exercise to try and involve some of the forum and possibly exchange some useful information. Rest assured in the future I will not try to consult or involve the “fraternity” in my projects. Not trying to be ugly, just won't stick my finger in a light socket twice.

Have a nice day!

Jaysvt

Ready for Summer
Established Member
it is only 125 dollors "JUST BUY IT" If you waste the blower it will cost you 20 times more then that. Besides you do own a 36,000 dollor car!!!!!!!! BUY IT AND SAVE YOURSELF ANY PROBLEMS

jtfx6552

Established Member

Copying someone elses design, however simple it may be, is still ripping them off. If you want to design your own puller, have at it.

Otherwise, buy one.

JT

BOOOOST

Established Member
Not trying to be ugly, just won't stick my finger in a light socket twice.

At least you admit that your crude ass has done it once! ;-)

dougwg

Established Member
Last time I try to help someone!:cryying: J/K

Geez dude calm down a bit.... when I said "Seems to me if you have the largest machine shop in the Southeast at your disposal they should be able to figure out what the "physical dimensions" should be.:rolleyes:"

I ment

If you have the ability to make a simple tool such as a pulley puller you should be able to design it(get physical dimensions).

That was all I was tying to say. I, in no way, meant to sound like I was belittling you.

If you took it that way .... I'm Sorry.

Can we still be friends even though I'm no match for you in a pi$$ing match.

dougwg

Established Member
And I was being a nice guy as evident in my closing statement.

I wish you well in your endeavors

Ever notice how your BUDDIE can call you an a$$hole and it’s ok!

But if a STRANGER calls you an a$$hole it’s time to fight.

Were all friends here (except for a select few) :)

I think there would be less people getting their feelings hurt if we try to take what people say on the boards with a grain of salt and at least ACT like we’re all friends.

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
And I was being a nice guy as evident in my closing statement.

Ever notice how your BUDDIE can call you an a$$hole and it’s ok!

But if a STRANGER calls you an a$$hole it’s time to fight.

Were all friends here (except for a select few) :)

I think there would be less people getting their feelings hurt if we try to take what people say on the boards with a grain of salt and at least ACT like we’re all friends.

Good call Doug. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread