Pulley question

Lycosa

Established Member
Should I go with a 2.76 upper or stick with the 2.93 and get a 2lb lower? I'm on an unported eaton. Would a 4lb be okay?

Woody6799

Established Member
This all depends on opinion. Many people say the 2.93/4# set up is the sweet spot for an eaton. It is what I was going to do until I talked to some guys about the crank pulleys. Some guys don't like it because of the added stress on the lower which could cause problems for you if something goes wrong. So I sold my lower kit and I went with the 2.76 upper only and put down 485 on my Steg 4 and I was happy with it. For me, the safety of the upper only outweighed the possible risk of messing up the crank.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
^ Like Woody said, if your running an uncaged lower - which all aftermarket currently are, you are adding stress to the crank. Some say no big deal if your on a smaller blower, but other say it's a bad idea no matter what. With the stock unported eaton you're really maxing it out with a 2.76 upper only anyway, so just go with that, or even better just stay with the 2.93 and add a Whipple or TVS down the road. You're only going to pick up 10-20hp going from a 2.93 down to a 2.76

Lycosa

Established Member
^ Like Woody said, if your running an uncaged lower - which all aftermarket currently are, you are adding stress to the crank. Some say no big deal if your on a smaller blower, but other say it's a bad idea no matter what. With the stock unported eaton you're really maxing it out with a 2.76 upper only anyway, so just go with that, or even better just stay with the 2.93 and add a Whipple or TVS down the road. You're only going to pick up 10-20hp going from a 2.93 down to a 2.76
I plan to do a whipple or tvs down the road anyway. I'm in college so the odds of it happening in the next 5 years is slim to none. I'm looking at getting the most out of what I have.

This all depends on opinion. Many people say the 2.93/4# set up is the sweet spot for an eaton. It is what I was going to do until I talked to some guys about the crank pulleys. Some guys don't like it because of the added stress on the lower which could cause problems for you if something goes wrong. So I sold my lower kit and I went with the 2.76 upper only and put down 485 on my Steg 4 and I was happy with it. For me, the safety of the upper only outweighed the possible risk of messing up the crank.

I'm not even going to bother porting it so I will just stick with the upper then.

04cobruh

Established Member
Just stay with the upper.
If you decide to go with the 2.76 just make sure you get it returned to get the max out of your eaton. I just dyno'd mine with a 2.8" upper and made 466/485

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Changing to a 2.76 will require an idler and retune. I don't feel it is worth the change for what would be a driver mod difference in performance.

Lycosa

Established Member
Changing to a 2.76 will require an idler and retune. I don't feel it is worth the change for what would be a driver mod difference in performance.

I already have the idler. I have a dyno tune on the car currently so I would just get the tune updated. I have a driver mod but at the same time I don't. I shift pretty fast but not as fast as some.

Users who are viewing this thread