Pulley Swap

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a Metco 2.6 with a ported M122 Eaton Blower and TB.I am running long tube headers also . I would like to go with a 2.4 pulley after snout is milled down and VMP 67mm TB . My question is will I need to do any fuel upgrades and are the HP gains worth it . I understand there are better ways but the budget only goes so far.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I just miked the snout it looks like its 2.30 .Im not sure if a 2.40 will clear that

HKusp

Established Member
I have heard you have to mill them in order for the 2.40 to fit. You were leaning towards going that route, so I thought you had looked into having it done and new the cost. I would think going with a 10% lower would be easier and cheaper, but maybe not.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I see you upgraded your fuel system did you have to do that with the 2.5 and the headers .Also look at the 10% overdrive that piece is a grand alone at VMP now . The 2.4 is around a $150 and the TB $730 plus tune . The blower is ported by Steggy trying figure out if was milled at the snout all ready

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Humor & knowledge.
Never heard of or saw a " SNOUT MACHINING TOOL "....$104.99.

Pickup available at ZZPerformance
Usually ready in 5+ days

1633600870628.png

There was ( 1 ) product review:

Worked awesome!
I did cut the snout with the supercharger out of the car, but can be done in the car with some care, it would make a mess! Lots of shavings curl off this thing! Removed the oem pulley from my gen 5 supercharger and I pressed on my zzp modular hub. Used a digital caliper to scribe a line 5/8" from end of snout, but check your own distance to verify with a pulley. Set the drill speed slow and only tighten the tension nut with your fingers. Gave a great finish and didnt even wear the carbide! Now I'm ready when it comes time to pulley down. Awesome tool that works great! Thanks zzp!

HKusp

Established Member
I did not upgrade my fuel until I went to the Gen2R. When I just had the LT's, M122 and the Metco pulley, I had stock fueling. Once I went with the Gen2R, I did boost-a-pumps, FoMoco 52lb'ers, and eventually went with Dietschwerks twin 340's.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thanks for the info . I called Steggy and was suggested just to with the 10% overdrive and then send my fuel injectors down and have them tuned for the boost upgrade for a very fair price . My car runs great with the mods currently and the 3:73 gears .I wish I could leave it alone but the call of the ponies is just to much for me

HKusp

Established Member
I understand. Since I wrecked my Shelby I am driving a stock GT. It's nice, but comparatively slow. It needs upgrades, but I haven't sold much off the Shelby to finance it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thanks for the info . I called Steggy and was suggested just to with the 10% overdrive and then send my fuel injectors down and have them tuned for the boost upgrade for a very fair price . My car runs great with the mods currently and the 3:73 gears .I wish I could leave it alone but the call of the ponies is just to much for me

10% makes sense less slip and not grinding your blower down. Not that I (always) hate on Steggy but "upsizing" injectors is a BAD idea. Not to mention trying to get someone to tune them without verified injector data. IMHO 4.6/5.4 motors are expensive and I'd prefer a set of legit flow matched injectors.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I understand. Since I wrecked my Shelby I am driving a stock GT. It's nice, but comparatively slow. It needs upgrades, but I haven't sold much off the Shelby to finance it.
Sorry about your car . Do you have a parts list of what you have . I kind of feel like a jerk asking you.

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
10% makes sense less slip and not grinding your blower down. Not that I (always) hate on Steggy but "upsizing" injectors is a BAD idea. Not to mention trying to get someone to tune them without verified injector data. IMHO 4.6/5.4 motors are expensive and I'd prefer a set of legit flow matched injectors.
Thanks for the input . I have had some type hot rod all my life . But I am a newbie with the Shelby . Thanks again for the help

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I have heard you have to mill them in order for the 2.40 to fit. You were leaning towards going that route, so I thought you had looked into having it done and new the cost. I would think going with a 10% lower would be easier and cheaper, but maybe not.

....and the greater risk. Would always recommend a crank brace now.

You still have the stock blower? the m122? Who is tuning your car?

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not sure yet on the tune . A buddy told of a guy but he does LS motors most of the time . I want to get a dyno tune just because I am from the flip phone generation and have a hell of a time with the remote tune .

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Poison, you have three threads going at once on basically the same subject. Lol

There’s only a few of us running 2.40” upper pulleys. Easier ways to increase boost. I was the first to do it and basically wanted to see how I could maximize an upper pulley only Eaton setup.

Have not experienced any belt slip in the 8 years I have run this upper. But it a rare occurrence that a GT500 will experience belt slip with any smaller upper pullies. Much more common with 03/04’ Cobras. The 10 rib setup on the GT500 was a good change that Ford made. Terminators have 8 rib setups.

The 07’ dampener weighs 21.3 lbs. The IW 10% lower weighs 11.3 lbs and will add 2.5 to 3 lbs of boost. The factory 08/09’ dampers weigh about the same as the aftermarket IW’s, but obviously will not increase boost levels. They can usually be found for $100 or so on our market forum. Used aftermarket lower pulleys usually go for $400-$500 used on the market forum.

A pound of boost on an Eaton setup, whether from a smaller upper pulley or a larger lower pulley, will get you 8+/- horsepower.

If you want to go high boost with the Eaton, you’ll need to put a lot of effort into keeping the supercharger cool.

Last edited:

prison90

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

There’s only a few of us running 2.40” upper pulleys. Easier ways to increase boost. I was the first to do it and basically wanted to see how I could maximize an upper pulley only Eaton setup.

Have not experienced any belt slip in the 8 years I have run this upper. But it a rare occurrence that a GT500 will experience belt slip with any smaller upper pullies. Much more common with 03/04’ Cobras. The 10 rib setup on the GT500 was a good change that Ford made. Terminators have 8 rib setups.

The 07’ dampener weighs 21.3 lbs. The IW 10% lower weighs 11.3 lbs and will add 2.5 to 3 lbs of boost. The factory 08/09’ dampers weigh about the same as the aftermarket IW’s, but obviously will not increase boost levels. They can usually be found for $100 or so on our market forum. Used aftermarket lower pulleys usually go for $400-$500 used on the market forum.

A pound of boost on an Eaton setup, whether from a smaller upper pulley or a larger lower pulley, will get you 8+/- horsepower.

If you want to go high boost with the Eaton, you’ll need to put a lot of effort into keeping the supercharger cool.

Thanks for the help Ironterp

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread