Pulley upgrade

gotjack

Established Member
This might be a stupid question. But the guys who upgraded there blowers to whipple etc what pulleys did you upgrade besides the supercharger pulley and idler for slippage? Did you guys upgrade any other pulleys?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tporter67

Established Member
Absolutely get the full billet idler set. Metco is the best in the business. I prefer to support them, but there are cheaper options. You can also wait until you see some used pop up, the bearings aren't super expensive. 6203-2rs

olympic

Established Member
The double bearing Metcos are the best. All the single bearing idlers are a flawed design that expose the bearing to forces it wasn't designed to handle.

Whipple has a nice snub idler pulley. It puts the extra belt wrap on the proper side of the supercharger pulley and it's adjustable to get your belt tension just right.

There's a few options for the tensioner. Thump Racing is a quality piece but pretty spendy. Roush and Steeda are more budget friendly.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like @tporter67 said, the double-bearing Metcos are the best, and I highly recommend them. Actually, you really do not want to continue to use the factory stamped steel idlers, as they're prone to exploding due to their overall design. Billet idlers are a common-sense upgrade.

03' White Snake

Established Member
And I second the Roush tensioner. Swap the 8 rib pulley, install with 2-3 M8 washers to space it out and good to go. Much better than OEM and 1/3 the price of the Thumper.

gotjack

Established Member
The double bearing Metcos are the best. All the single bearing idlers are a flawed design that expose the bearing to forces it wasn't designed to handle.

Whipple has a nice snub idler pulley. It puts the extra belt wrap on the proper side of the supercharger pulley and it's adjustable to get your belt tension just right.

There's a few options for the tensioner. Thump Racing is a quality piece but pretty spendy. Roush and Steeda are more budget friendly.

I have the whipple snub idler was looking to replace the other stock idlers or pulleys I’ll attach a pic

gotjack

Established Member
I have the whipple snub idler was looking to replace the other stock idlers or pulleys I’ll attach a pic

Image1712499890.337459.jpg

03' White Snake

Established Member
Roush tensioner?

Yep. Look up 05-09 Roush tensioner. I believe Summit had the best price on it before. It’s meant for a 6 rib setup, hence why you need to swap your stock 8 rib pulley onto it. Also the reason it needs to be spaced out slightly.

Made a huge difference on my car to stop throwing belts at high rpm. Once I got it spaced out correctly, no more belt issues.

Old pic but here it is
IMG_1670.jpeg

gotjack

Established Member
Yep. Look up 05-09 Roush tensioner. I believe Summit had the best price on it before. It’s meant for a 6 rib setup, hence why you need to swap your stock 8 rib pulley onto it. Also the reason it needs to be spaced out slightly.

Made a huge difference on my car to stop throwing belts at high rpm. Once I got it spaced out correctly, no more belt issues.

Old pic but here it is
View attachment 1835804

I don’t have any belt issues so far. Installed 2.3 and whipple last year with snub idler and and so far so good. Mainly wanted to upgrade stock idlers for better quality and looks

PC03GT

Established Member
I don’t have any belt issues so far. Installed 2.3 and whipple last year with snub idler and and so far so good. Mainly wanted to upgrade stock idlers for better quality and looks

Metco double bearing, just be sure to order directly from them. I waited 5 or 6 months when I ordered them from another company

03' White Snake

Established Member

Well book mark it for future reference. Your stock tensioner is now 20-21 years old. The spring tension wears out.

Mine looked fine, normal driving was fine, but banging gears at redline would rip a rib or 2 off the pulley. After going through about 10 belts it needed to be addressed.

gotjack

Established Member
Well book mark it for future reference. Your stock tensioner is now 20-21 years old. The spring tension wears out.

Mine looked fine, normal driving was fine, but banging gears at redline would rip a rib or 2 off the pulley. After going through about 10 belts it needed to be addressed.

Is there another tensioner I can’t swap out directly?

gotjack

Established Member

Can I get the stock motor craft replacent from LMR? Is that one ok to use?

gotjack

Established Member

Actually can I just get the metco tensioner pulley and use with the stock setup? Or do I need the whole part and pulley?

tporter67

Established Member
The pulley most likely fine, you can replace the bearing if you want. Or you can just buy a new one so you have a fresh spring.

Metco also makes a brace to support the stock style tensioner

stangfreak

Established Member
Like they all said, double bearing metco pullies. I also have a griptec pully on my whipple. zero belt slippage.

Users who are viewing this thread