• I like My Stock Pulley But Will Change It Soon

Votes: 109 16.6%

• Total voters

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
Re: JKD COBRA

Originally posted by ghostrydyr
How or where do you base this on? I'm not questioning you on this I actually really want to believe since I am about to put a 2.8. :)

Thanx:beer:

good question

Im ordering billow flows 2.76 today

yay!!1:D

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
ghost - there is nothing wrong with questioning. Especially on forums where false info can be posted all the time.

I am basing my opinion on dyno results AND track results from owners of 2.93 pulleys and 2.80 pulleys. And I am also basing my opinion from my own experience with a 2.93 pulley and 2.80 pulley.

If you look at everyones track times, you will see that the 2.80 pulley will almost always perform better at the track. You may only gain 5-15hp, but you will gain 20-40 more rwtq. Because our cars are so heavy, torque is very important. I have PM'ed a few people on this board that run low 11's, and they have used the 2.93/2.80 pulley. So far, everyone has said they definately run faster with the 2.80 and would never switch back to the 2.93.

I don't have a true back to back dyno comparison, but I did go from a 2.93 pulley with an aftermarket throttle body to a 2.80 pulley and back to the stock throttle body. With the 2.93/TB I put down 440rwhp and 422rwtq. . . then with the 2.80 pulley and stock TB I put down 452rwhp and 470rwtq. (these dyno's were not on the same exact day). I could also feel a good SOTP difference from the extra torque down low. The car felt much better with the 2.80. Unfortunately, I did not run the car at the track with the 2.93 before I took it off. But just from the SOTP feel and dyno numbers alone, I will not switch back to a 2.93.

Now there are a few people that say there car runs better with the 2.93, this could be true. Every car is different. But assuming all else is equal, and both cars have good tunes, the 2.80 will be faster.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
grandestang - don't forget about the lightning. They have been around for a while, and they are all using the eaton blowers. They have been doing all of this stuff long before we have.

If your running 18psi or more then who knows, there have been a couple eaton that seized. But if your just running a 2.93/2.80/2.76 pulley, from what I have seen you will blow your motor before the eaton fails :shrug:

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
I was thinking 2.93 to keep from using the idler and more likely to be able to use the predator. I've only heard of 1 or 2 Eatons ever failing. I think longevity is why Eatons are used. There are still some old SC T-birds running around with a zillion miles on them.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Going throught these same questions because I want to change my pulley soon.

ghostrydyr

Established Member
ghost - there is nothing wrong with questioning. Especially on forums where false info can be posted all the time.

I am basing my opinion on dyno results AND track results from owners of 2.93 pulleys and 2.80 pulleys. And I am also basing my opinion from my own experience with a 2.93 pulley and 2.80 pulley.

If you look at everyones track times, you will see that the 2.80 pulley will almost always perform better at the track. You may only gain 5-15hp, but you will gain 20-40 more rwtq. Because our cars are so heavy, torque is very important. I have PM'ed a few people on this board that run low 11's, and they have used the 2.93/2.80 pulley. So far, everyone has said they definately run faster with the 2.80 and would never switch back to the 2.93.

I don't have a true back to back dyno comparison, but I did go from a 2.93 pulley with an aftermarket throttle body to a 2.80 pulley and back to the stock throttle body. With the 2.93/TB I put down 440rwhp and 422rwtq. . . then with the 2.80 pulley and stock TB I put down 452rwhp and 470rwtq. (these dyno's were not on the same exact day). I could also feel a good SOTP difference from the extra torque down low. The car felt much better with the 2.80. Unfortunately, I did not run the car at the track with the 2.93 before I took it off. But just from the SOTP feel and dyno numbers alone, I will not switch back to a 2.93.

Now there are a few people that say there car runs better with the 2.93, this could be true. Every car is different. But assuming all else is equal, and both cars have good tunes, the 2.80 will be faster.

Good enough for me. Thanks a lot JKD COBRA

:burnout: :burnout:

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Early Winner Declared

Since this is my thread I feel it's time to declare an
early winner in this election. 2.80 Wins!

Other Items Worth Noting That "MIGHT"
Be Derived From This Poll:

If you have 4.10+ gears go with a 2.93.
If you don't want an idler go with a 2.93.
If you want max HP & TRQ go with the 2.80 but use idler(s).
Most don't use a 2.80 without idlers possible slip without.
A DUB would be good for those undecided on a pulley.
:bowdown:

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
ya know what is wierd...

only 20 votes for the "Lower Than a 2.80 With Idler(s)"

I have sold many.... MANY times that amount:shrug:

BTW: what does the 2.8 win?:??:

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
JKD,
Agree with you totally about the superior performance that can be derived from the 2.80. But, I question the degree of difference. Of course the TB switch is the unknown variable here, but you gained 48 ft lbs of torque with the pulley change? That's a significant improvement, to say the least. I recently went from a 3.10 to a 2.90 and gained 7.5 ft lbs. I know that there will be improved performance with the 2.80, but don't feel it's normally as dramatic as some potray.

BTW, really enjoy reading your posts on this Forum....been great teaching tool for me.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Iron - thanks man, I really appreciate it. I always try to help out whenever I can.

And your right, the TB being on for the 2.93 and not for the 2.80 does skew the results some. It was not a 'true' back to back comparison, but it was the closest first hand experience I have had with both pullies.

But from what I have seen, you can gain anywhere from 15-45rwtq with a 2.80 pulley swap assuming that the tune is good. It is really hard to compare dyno numbers from the forum, because some people make 440rwtq with a 2.93 and other people say they put down 460-470rwtq with a 2.93. So all I have to go by is dyno's in my area. 'Generally', people put down around 440-450rwtq with a 2.93, and the people running the 2.80 pulley are pushing 470-490rwtq with a 2.80.

But like I mentioned before, I have a friend who dyno's on a mustang dyno and he didnt really gain anything when he went from a 2.93 to a 2.80, but he said the car felt better. But I think that was a rare case. For the most part, everyone who has swapped to a 2.80 will never go back to a 2.93.

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
I purchased the snout with the 2.93 pulley and very happy so far. For now I am happy with my combo making 434 HP and 455 torq on a very moddest tune with 11.8 A/F and 20 WOT timing. Maybe in the future with a 2.8 but I doubt it. Thats my 2-cents at least.
:burnout:

71stang99

Established Member
currently have the 2.9, bought the 2.76 plus idlers so thats where my vote went

nothing

nothing
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
ya know what is wierd...

only 20 votes for the "Lower Than a 2.80 With Idler(s)"

I have sold many.... MANY times that amount

i was wondering this also....a poll was also done that asked what brand was recommended and billet flow, amazon, rr and sfph were the most used, most of these guys all make a 2.76 instead of a 2.80

but that poll may be newer than this one, so this may have changed if done today

Hy_Dro

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Just voted - Patiently waiting for my Billetflow 2.76 and idlers to arrive.:)

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I was just curious. Bear with me, I'm new to the Cobra. What is the big difference between a 2.93 w/ idlers and a 2.80 w/ idlers, besides the extra 2 or so psi of boost. Is it just a better deal to go with the 2.80 setup? How much driveablility/reliability is lost if I go with the 2.80 setup instead of the 2.93, if any? Sorry for the stupid question. I'll eventually catch on :bash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread