Purchasing a new TV, options?

bone stock

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a new LCD television for my basement and need some input. Should I go with a larger 37-40" with 720p or go with a smaller 32" with 1080p? I've been shopping around online but haven't found any outstanding deals. I'm looking to spend around $500. Any input for what brands and where to buy an LCD tv would be greatly appreciated.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
buy a 42" Panasonic Plasma for the same money and have a better TV

Plasma is not always the best option depending on what it will be used for.
If it will be used for gaming or be used as a computer monitor LCD is superior since there is no worries of burn in.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Plasma is not always the best option depending on what it will be used for.
If it will be used for gaming or be used as a computer monitor LCD is superior since there is no worries of burn in.

This is possibly the most ignorant post I've ever seen on here....wow!:nonono::dw:

Unless he's looking for a LARGE computer monitor where he just so happened to forget to mention thats what he's looking for...I doubt that's the case here. Gaming can be had on either a Plasma or LCD w/o worry of "Burn-in" and has been that way for at least 5 years. "Image Retention" has been a little more recent but has gone away in the past 2 years as most nicer displays handle this very well now. I'm a pro-plasma guy and will be until and LCD proves that its better than the KURO but until that time comes...for the $....you can't top a Plasma.

OP, you can pick up the 42" Panny C2 for a tiny tad over your budget and be done with it. Actually, if you get it at Sears and use a Sears card...you'll get 10% off your purchase. YOUR WELCOME lol. If you have any questions just lemme know...I promise I know my stuff in this area and there are people on here that can vouch for that. Also, visit AVS Forum in the mean time and brush up on your knowledge! This is the best forum out there for Home Entertainment:beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would wait. 3D TVs are coming out. LCD and Plasma will see a drop. I have to replace my 60" sony LCD and will probably do it with a 3D unit depending on how well they perform in the reviews.

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
3d tv's suck ass why anyone would want to wear glasses to watch TV is beyond me
i just bought a led lcd lg from best buy with blue ray player 42" tv and its hooked up to my desktop

awesome tv!

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
This is possibly the most ignorant post I've ever seen on here....wow!:nonono::dw:

Unless he's looking for a LARGE computer monitor where he just so happened to forget to mention thats what he's looking for...I doubt that's the case here. Gaming can be had on either a Plasma or LCD w/o worry of "Burn-in" and has been that way for at least 5 years. "Image Retention" has been a little more recent but has gone away in the past 2 years as most nicer displays handle this very well now. I'm a pro-plasma guy and will be until and LCD proves that its better than the KURO but until that time comes...for the $....you can't top a Plasma.

OP, you can pick up the 42" Panny C2 for a tiny tad over your budget and be done with it. Actually, if you get it at Sears and use a Sears card...you'll get 10% off your purchase. YOUR WELCOME lol. If you have any questions just lemme know...I promise I know my stuff in this area and there are people on here that can vouch for that. Also, visit AVS Forum in the mean time and brush up on your knowledge! This is the best forum out there for Home Entertainment:beer:

I'm also pro-plasma, but the only situation where I would not recommend one is if it's being used in a smaller area, because they do tend to generate alot of heat. I had a 50 inch in a dorm-room sized room and I had to have fans blasting 24/7 to stay alive. LCD's generate a bit of heat, and LED's are possibly the best of both worlds, but I would wait for the technology to develop a little more.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
i just bought a led lcd lg from best buy with blue ray player 42" tv and its hooked up to my desktop

awesome tv!

reading comprehension failing you today? where did I recommend buying a 3d TV?

They are coming out. some need glasses and some don't. yes it is new technology that is still being developed, but those that want to stay on the bleeding edge will be buying them, and those with kids and others who don't mind wearing the glasses will be buying them.

When new tech is released the old tech drops in price 90% of the time and sometimes by a large amount.

So as I said, I would recommend waiting for a bit to let the tech and the prices sort themselves out more before buying.

Thump_rrr

Established Member

It is actually more ignorant to ignore the possibility of "burn in" or "image retention".

The average person who purchases a plasma tv is as informed about its proper operation as the average person is about auto mechanics or nuclear physics for that matter.

Some people don't think ahead about using their TV as a full sized computer monitor untill they bring the TV home then they do.

There are people who will purchase a tv and leave it on 1 channel for hours and hours at at time and this can and will cause the station ID logo to become burned into the screen in the long run.

It is also recommended when purchasing a plasma not to watch it in 4:3 for the first 100 hours to prevent the black side bars from becoming burnt in.

For someone who will be using it to watch regular TV or movies a few hours a night there is no issue but if someone will be leaving it on all day in the background on 1 channel or will be using it for gaming it is not the best option.

I agree that the contrast ratio and motion blur is superior on plasmas but LCD's have the upper edge when it comes to reducing judder in 24fps movies.

I have both a Samsung PN50B650 Plasma and an LN52B750 240hz LCD at home and each one has its pros and cons. Then again neither one of them is in the size or price range we are discussing.

Bringing up the KURO is as relevant to this conversation as comparing a Ford Fusion to a Lamborghini.

As for the 42" Panasonic C2 it's not a bad TV for the price.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
I went with a 46' Samsung with 100K:1 1080P and 120Hz and its LCD. Works and looks great and doesnt eat up my power bill like my brother in-laws plasma.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I would wait. 3D TVs are coming out. LCD and Plasma will see a drop. I have to replace my 60" sony LCD and will probably do it with a 3D unit depending on how well they perform in the reviews.

Did you try that fix I posted from AVS forum?

It is actually more ignorant to ignore the possibility of "burn in" or "image retention".

The average person who purchases a plasma tv is as informed about its proper operation as the average person is about auto mechanics or nuclear physics for that matter.

Some people don't think ahead about using their TV as a full sized computer monitor untill they bring the TV home then they do.

There are people who will purchase a tv and leave it on 1 channel for hours and hours at at time and this can and will cause the station ID logo to become burned into the screen in the long run.

It is also recommended when purchasing a plasma not to watch it in 4:3 for the first 100 hours to prevent the black side bars from becoming burnt in.

For someone who will be using it to watch regular TV or movies a few hours a night there is no issue but if someone will be leaving it on all day in the background on 1 channel or will be using it for gaming it is not the best option.

I agree that the contrast ratio and motion blur is superior on plasmas but LCD's have the upper edge when it comes to reducing judder in 24fps movies.

I have both a Samsung PN50B650 Plasma and an LN52B750 240hz LCD at home and each one has its pros and cons. Then again neither one of them is in the size or price range we are discussing.

Bringing up the KURO is as relevant to this conversation as comparing a Ford Fusion to a Lamborghini.

As for the 42" Panasonic C2 it's not a bad TV for the price.

Burn in is mostly a thing of the past with scrolling white bars, pixel shifting, and other technology used by the manufacturers now. I leave my Panasonic on one channel for hours at a time, often falling asleep with the tv on, and don't have any burn in or even IR. I agree that not everyone is taught the ins and outs of owning a plasma though.

Like you said the plasma is unmatched with handling movement. Current Panasonic plasmas on the 96hz setting handle 1080p/24 material quite well however.

While the KURO might not be relevant in this particular case because of the price point we're talking about, Panasonic did buy Pioneer's KURO technology and will be using it in future models. I think it was more a reference to show what plasmas are ultimately capable of however.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
lol at post 2 4 and 5.

i knew you three would be the first ones in here. with all your plasma love..

:beer:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
If it will be used for gaming...LCD is superior since there is no worries of burn in.

wrong

the LCD 3d's look like crap, the Panasonic 3d's are pure AWESOME.

LCD 3D only does 540p for each eye and only does 30hz for each eye (3D bluray is 60hz). Lots of image shutter and lag.

Plasma 3D does 1080p for each eye and does 60hz for each eye, its a much smoother picture.

!

because the 3D tv's are the BEST 2D TV's....they just happen to have a 3D feature.

I'm also pro-plasma, but the only situation where I would not recommend one is if it's being used in a smaller area, because they do tend to generate alot of heat. I had a 50 inch in a dorm-room sized room and I had to have fans blasting 24/7 to stay alive. LCD's generate a bit of heat, and LED's are possibly the best of both worlds, but I would wait for the technology to develop a little more.

wrong, previous generation plasmas only run about 3-6 degrees warmer than an LCD.

current generation Panasonic plasmas dont even have cooling fans lol

VERY wrong. LCD's INCREASE image shutter because they dont have a processor that displays the TRUE image. They use ME/MC processors which input fake frames that it guesses to make which converts everything to a video look.

Go look up Motion Estimation and Motion Compensation....plasma doesnt use an ME/MC processor, so it displays the correct, actual picture

lol at post 2 4 and 5.

i knew you three would be the first ones in here. with all your plasma love..

:beer:

someone has to be the educated smart friend =)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Did you try that fix I posted from AVS forum?

not yet. I am still in Iraq and my girl sux at doing technical shit, so I have to wait till I get back on vacation to try it. I am not too hopeful however and am planning for the worst.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Go 42'' plasma if you're looking for the better picture. Only downside is the glass screen with plasmas love to reflect light, so if you have the sun shining in or a big lamp in the room in front of the TV it will reflect it. You can't beat a plasma picture though. I have 2 42" ones and a 55" samsung and LOVE them. They play ps3 and xbox360 games GREAT!

Users who are viewing this thread