Purchasing a used '17 GT350 what should I watch out for? ie Oil, etc.?

Established Member
I loved that flex fuel tune (it does feel stronger down low) and i also had a motor replaced due to consumption and not a word said about it.

Ahhh, I forgot you tuned your car too... Many (most) of the Oil Consumption issues I am aware of seem to correlate to tuned cars. I wanted to flex fuel mine but I no longer have confidence it would not destroy the engine.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Ahhh, I forgot you tuned your car too... Many (most) of the Oil Consumption issues I am aware of seem to correlate to tuned cars. I wanted to flex fuel mine but I no longer have confidence it would not destroy the engine.
i feel like i was seeing a majority of stock ones having issues, unless they just weren't telling the whole story(very possible). i was upfront and honest about it, they knew it was tuned and somehow didn't think it was the cause(how would they know if they didn't open it up).

that tune/fuel change makes the car totally different, it's a shame it's a 20k roll of the dice to play with it. would i do it again? nope.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks ok, but has been in the shop 3 times because the AC doesn't blow cold.

Established Member
Even opening the engine, you won't be able to say if the tune caused the issue... It's just that the plasma lining is so thin and if the tune causes the engine to misfire or run too lean or too rich then these conditions can cause ring/cylinder damage very easily. Even bad gas or too low octane could do it and all engines are susceptible to this stuff, but I think the plasma lined high compression really makes it more important (to me anyway) to avoid tunes and use the best gas I can find.

ANGREY

Established Member
Even opening the engine, you won't be able to say if the tune caused the issue... It's just that the plasma lining is so thin and if the tune causes the engine to misfire or run too lean or too rich then these conditions can cause ring/cylinder damage very easily. Even bad gas or too low octane could do it and all engines are susceptible to this stuff, but I think the plasma lined high compression really makes it more important (to me anyway) to avoid tunes and use the best gas I can find.

I think you guys are mixing a bunch of different issues with nothing but anecdotal evidence to support it.

The oil consumption issue is pretty much down to 3 most likely candidates. Suspended oil through the PCV (which is small, but noticeable), oil bypass across the rings or what a lot of people think are valve seats and guides that leak.

in any case, "tune" isn't going to move the needle on any of those very much. If it's leaking valve seats, your tune has very little to do with it. If it's suspended oil going through the CPV return, tune isn't going to matter. And blow by the rings (especially if it's because the cylinders aren't warm and expanded fully) isn't going to be affected by tune.

My car has been "tuned" for nearly 20k miles and I don't get excessive consumption. There are cars that consume oil straight off the lot with nothing but OEM conditions. It's a hit or miss crap shoot and if Ford knows, they ain't saying. But the notion that aftermarket tunes are causing this doesn't reconcile all the cars that have had problems that haven't been touched by anything aftermarket.

As far as compromised plasma, I've seen vids of people online who again, had their car tuned and those who fried the cylinder coating and hadn't done anything to the car.

In fact, I'd offer a counterargument. By running E-85, my motor is probably "safer" than the factory tune on 93, especially under hot IAT conditions, particularly against knock and preignition or conditions that create excessive pressure on the rings. Furthermore, I test my E-85 every time I fill. There's virtually no way to test 93 and determine it's qualitative or chemical properties at the pump. Buying 93 at the pump is WAY more of a crap shoot and roll of the dice than those of us that can test the ethanol content (and therefore quality) of E-85. One bad batch of 93 on a hot day and the tune isn't going to matter, it'll overwhelm the knock retard and beat up on components.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Thank you. Now a decision to make. Sell the 500 and buy a 350 or keep what I have. Thinking of going E85 and LTH on the 500.

I have seen that vin number GT350 online down in Georgia and its a beauty in that color combo. The price is great too. I still think it would be tough to get rid of your beautiful GT500 and I would only do it if it was a GT350R. If I can't swing a used GT350R later this year will be getting into another GT500. Either way its a choice I will be happy with. Once I start hitting the car cruise circuit next year in Ocean City it will not matter which ride I have. Good luck on your choice.

fearthesnake

Established Member
I have seen that vin number GT350 online down in Georgia and its a beauty in that color combo. The price is great too. I still think it would be tough to get rid of your beautiful GT500 and I would only do it if it was a GT350R. If I can't swing a used GT350R later this year will be getting into another GT500. Either way its a choice I will be happy with. Once I start hitting the car cruise circuit next year in Ocean City it will not matter which ride I have. Good luck on your choice.
You are correct, its located in Marietta Ga currently.

Was hoping to take a road cruise over there this morning but still some spotty rain.

darksrt

Established Member
Can someone assist with a oasis report on my 17’ 350 please? The vin is 1FA6P8JZ9H5521787

Users who are viewing this thread