Purchasing Cyclinder heads - CNC ported?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I am STILL saving money to fix my cobra with the drivers side head tick.

It has lost major compression on that side and has a leak in cyl #7.

As I have been saving, I have have also been looking into having the current heads rebuilt vs. buying new ones, but I ran across something that intrigued me and I was wondering in some of you could help me out.

Basically, since i am needing something done with my heads, I was thinking about buying new ones (better cooling, 9 thread plug receptacles, etc.) and I found these for $300 more than the standard heads from tousley.

Are they worth it? what kind of power gains do you see with CNC porting?

FORD RACING COATED DOHC CAM COVERS for the 2003, 2004 Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra

Any info is greatly appreciated.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
hey man ! i got a 03 cobra my #6 has 135 psi, all other have 150/155psi. yes i got the head tick now with 31K on the clock. what was your compression?

i.am building a boss50 block now in the works! see my post below roll the dice. most people here don't know what do to like me just wanted to get some other people opinon like you .

has for heads, i see what your saying i priced it all out too.

stock head with cams 2200.00 cam specs are 190/[email protected] with .394 lift
stock heads flow @.400 lift> 259 intake / 171 exhast.
.......................@ .500 lift >266........... 175

look here at the livernois heads stage 2 and 3 flow #s even with .400 lift stock cams look at the #s.. and with aftermarket cams not even big one .just one with at least .450 lift or .500 at most will give you excellect hp increase! i been reading all my books out .

here's the proof its in the #s

CNC Stage 2 Ford 4.6L 4-Valve Cylinder Heads

5 axis CNC machined
Fully assembled w/o camshafts
Intake flow rate 310 CFM
Exhaust flow rate 255 CFM
Custom valve job
Custom ground factory 36mm intake valves
Custom ground factory 29mm exhaust valves... $2799.99

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/prod_imgs/img-1532-large3.jpg

stage 3 5 axis CNC machined
Fully assembled w/o camshafts
Intake flow rate 330 CFM
Exhaust flow rate 275 CFM
Custom valve job
Custom ground stainless oversize intake valves
Custom ground stainless oversize exhaust valves
Bronze guides
Ford valve seals, retainers, and locks
Livernois exclusive single coil valve springs
No core required

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/prod_imgs/img-1533-large3.jpg

for the extra cost of the stage3 heads is worth it to me. s/steel valves that is check out the flow #s at stock .400 lift and see how much more air the flow.
but with a cam with .500 lift o yes

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Nope those are FR500 heads that are great for NA but your stock is better for blown. Forget the porting and get a valve job.

GodStang

Established Member
Nope those are FR500 heads that are great for NA but your stock is better for blown. Forget the porting and get a valve job.

Are they FR500 or Cobra? I had a big guy at Ford Racing tell me that its the Cobra heads. I swore they were FR500 also but he said otherwise.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
fr500 or cobra .don't the flow#s tell the truth ?

so what your'e saying is do a valve job ? on the stock heads?

03 cam specs are 190/[email protected] with .394 lift
stock heads flow @.400 lift> 259cfm intake / 171cfm exhast.
[ thats the flow #s on 03 heads]

the stage 3 heads > flow 314cfm intake/ 222cfm exhast at .400 lift.

the graph they show here must be the n/a heads i guess due to the difference in #s on the stock spec's.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/prod_imgs/img-1533-large3.jpg

please correct me if i'am wrong. but i think anyway you look at it.more flow the better correct? i just want to ''know'' how the stock heads are better than the stage 3 heads or even the stage 2 heads.. even if they are n/a or fr500 castings ? ....wait............

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
The heads in the link I gave are the FR500 heads, but ported.

I guess that is not as good as the stock Cobra SC heads?

I don't have money to burn, but for $600 for both with improved flow over stock I would swing it.

However, if it is not suitable for my car, I won't. thanks for sharing everyone.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i just clicked on your link 1529 pr. pair ? thats a rip off .plus i would order anything from RPM oulet. i had bad customer support on trying to return a part , it took over 100 days to get my credit back from them with lots of e mails & phone calls . never again.
plus the heads dont show you want they flow ?

get the livernois stage 2 heads flow #s dont lie!

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
what i dont get is ...says

Custom ground factory 36mm intake valves
Custom ground factory 29mm exhaust valves...

at livernois theres no way those specs are right ? it cant posibly have that big of valves not 2 each at 36mm and 29 mm thats bigger than the bore

cobracide

Established Member
EDIT - They are supposed to be some new castings. Not much info on these or what they are based on.

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I would buy heads from Livernois but are they complete or no?

and I don't want the psycho lope of the Stage 3 cams.

Plus, I am in SoCal and need to pass emissions.

cobracide

Established Member
Why would you buy something that you know nothing about? The stock '03 heads are a known quantity and produce +1000 hp. Are they dry or wet divider? Information like this can be important. I would want a LOT of specific info on these before spending $3k.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
When paired with the Aluminator block..

Ford Racing recommends the M-6004-A464 Camshaft Drive/Timing Kit as well as M-6049-464P and M-6050-464P cylinder heads for 1999-2001 Cobra and 2003-2004 Mach 1 applications

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I would buy heads from Livernois but are they complete or no?

and I don't want the psycho lope of the Stage 3 cams.

Plus, I am in SoCal and need to pass emissions.
the stage 2 heads are good for you .and probly me ,complete but with now cams lifter or followers same has ford head but they got cams

with the stage 2 heads with a stock cams even, would be a good idle more air in and out or flow is better.

sure your stock head can flow 1000 hp but it will need to be ported for that hp.
yes stock 03 heads ''ported to the max'' will flow more but not that much more 20 cfm at most .i got a book i need to scan and post here ,when time permits good book on heads .

if you got 3 threads on the spark plugs like me its not worth it ! i'am not even sure if anyone will touch installing longer serts in them ? if so i might do my heads but porting alone is 1800 bucks plus v/job etc. and time serts

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Why would you buy something that you know nothing about? The stock '03 heads are a known quantity and produce +1000 hp. Are they dry or wet divider? Information like this can be important. I would want a LOT of specific info on these before spending $3k.

HEllO... that is the whole reason I started this thread - to.. you know... LEARN stuff.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
man my head is splitting....lol. the flow #s look good weather its a wet or dry exhast divider on the livernois heads even the 2s.

are you going stock cams ?
and are youre head 3 threads or 9 ?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
You should buy them and let us know how it turns out. Then you could "TEACH stuff".

wow. sort of defeats the purpose of asking folks like yourself who purport to know something about these things. thanks for nothing i guess. i started this thread so that people with knowledge could steer me in the right direction. not to be criticized for what i obviously don't already know.

good luck with that.

GodStang

Established Member
Talk to steve at Tousley ford he should be able to get the same heads and shed some light on them. Also not all stage III cams have heavy lope. Stage III is just a name and nothing more. My stage III crower have a very light lope almost can't tell its cammed. Also getting improved flowing heads won't do as much with the crappy lift on the stock cams.

Also some cars are running 30+psi on boost on the dry exhaust FR500 heads so they could work in our application.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
god stang if the stock cam lift is .394
and the stage 2 and 3 head flow more at that same lift ,isn't it gettng more air in it?
p/s not trying to start anything

i pm ed this guy he has the head tick like me. but our heads have only 3 plug threads?
so either we get new revised heads with cams for 2200
or get some differant heads

i haven't talked to my machine shop to see weather or not they could but serts in it . to make it 9 threads ? do you know if this can be done?

if so i could get my heads ported if i dont bring them to meaux's racing head service and spend 1800 bucks plus about 6 months waiting time

Users who are viewing this thread