Push Down or Pull Up for Reverse - Which Do You Prefer?

Which Method Do You Prefer

• Push-Down - Like the 2011-2014 Mustang

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Pull-Up - Like the 2015 Mustang

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Neither - Give me an Automatic

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The MT-82 in the 2011-2014 Mustangs require you to push the shift ball down in order to be able to engage reverse. For 2015 Ford included a ring under the shift ball that must be pulled up before you can engage reverse. The 2015 system is essentially the same one that has been used on a lot of import cars for years. My question is, which method do you prefer.

assasyn

Established Member
I have no experience with either but it would seem to me that pulling up seems more intentional.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I'm saying like the 11-14 MT-82. I just think sometimes I need to hurry with reverse and that's one more step what could cause a wreck due to taking more time buts that's me.

nicksender

Established Member
I prefer the push down method to pulling any ring up. I guess I"m used to it from past Mustangs.

I hope Ford isn't considering this change as one of their fixes to make this trans better than that used on the previous generation! :-D

mavisky

Established Member
I've used the pull up before. Worked great in the old 6 speed Hyundai Tiburon's we used to sell. You absolutely knew what was going on and the lift up paired with reverse being down and to the right was very intuitive.

The Chrysler Crossfires has the push down for reverse and I could never tell if I had done it correctly until you let the clutch out, so it sometimes caused you to have to sit there and be very deliberate that you pushed down before putting any direction into it or you'd just grab whatever gear was nearest reverse instead.

I never owned or lived with either of these cars day to day so I'm sure you'd adapt, but he pull up seemed more intuitive.

acrbill

Established Member
Pull up for sure. My corolla has a pull up ring and there is no question what gear you are in. I have accidentally gone into reverse in my manual 2011.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Interesting, never used the pull up method. Sounds like it would be pretty nice. I know I've accidentally been in first many times when I thought I was in reverse in my old 99 Jetta 5 speed. (It has the push down method.)

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Given the option of just those two, I'd prefer the pull up ring. Good luck MGW :)

That being said, I think my BMW had the best option. 6 speed manual, but reverse was up and to the left of first gear. All you had to do was pull the shifter towards you like you were going into first, but pull just a bit harder and it would go past a detent, then up. No special up or down motion. Made a lot more sense and since it was by first gear, no way you were going to accidentally shift into reverse.

boss#301

Established Member
It doesn't look sporty with that ugly ring around the shifter. It might be practical, but doesn't look good at all!!

10splaya22

Established Member
I have had all three types mentioned. The push down on my 06 G35, the pull up ring on my 06 STi and the push to the side like my Terminators/135i I had (those were on different sides though). I prefer the pull up method the best due to it having to be intentional to get into reverse and its a very positive feeling pulling the ring up. The push down is my least favorite.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Neither...

m5lp_0207_22_z+2003_mustang_cobra+shift_knob.jpg
:poke::D

I'll show myself out.

Users who are viewing this thread