put a bbk-x-pipe on 03 cobra today care to comment?

allens-03

Established Member
installed it on my 03 cobra with 300 miles on the car.it is a off-road x-pipe no cats,also installed those mil things on the o2 sencers.the car has the stock cat back on it and it sounds really wierd,kind sounds ricey.here is my question when i got done with the install i started the car.started fine ideals great but for the first 30 minutes it smoked like a freight train then cleared up no smoke no more.do you think the car had to learn how to run again with out the cats?or was it just cooking off the coating of my bbk x-pipe?i will say this the bbk x-pipe fits like a dream and hangs tight to the floor of the car

03DOHC

Established Member
Both. I prefer the x-pipe sound, after all this is a small 32 valve V-8, but to each his own. Welcome to the site.

stangin

Established Member
Yeah, I like this board.. a lot of nice helpfull folk and a lot of activity. I installed my UPR off road X about six months ago, flange was dented up in shipping and lots of oil and metal shavings inside.. I had to massage the flanges back into shape and used lots o laquer thinner and compressed air to get the oil and metal shavings out. I have the stock cat back as well and it sounds a little tinny now, no noise level increase at all. You get used to it, sounds funny to me now with the cats back on the Cobra.

Last edited:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Glad your BBK x-pipe fit well. I had one on my '99 with cats, and it was a beeatch to put on. Finally had to take it into a shop. I think it had been bent in shipping. Mine also rode very low and scraped easily. Looks like they have either improved their quality or maybe mine was a POS, which happens.

Once on, I had somewhat mixed feelings about the way it sounded. It was very raspy and with my FRPP 3" exhaust, it was way loud. I grew to love it and received almost uniform thumbs up from men and the opposite from my wife and the old ladies in my neighborhood.

I also had the smoke and smell for about a day. No biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread