Put on my CCW Classics! Question regarding wheel studs.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I finally got a set of my favorite wheels, CCW classics. I absolutely love how they look on the car, and I have attached a photo! B ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408580349.475702.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408580362.725715.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408580374.825939.jpgut I do have a question. When I bought the car, the previous owner had 5/16" spacers in the rear, and extended wheel studs.

I mounted the wheels today and left the spacers in to clear the IRS bolt (it's stock, ungrinded for the time being). That said, I'm not crazy about how much the rear studs protrude, and the fact that I can't fit a closed lug nut on the end of them. I'm trying to decide what my options are moving forward, and was looking for some input.

I have heard of some people cutting their extended studs, but I'm not exactly sure of the best way to do this. (Angle grinder? Sawzall?)

I know I could get some shorter studs, but I'm not sure if that would be more work (and $) than cutting the ones I have. Also, then I wouldn't be able to run my spacers.

Lastly, I guess I could just leave it alone if that's the way a lot of people run them, but I think it could look a lot better.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Don't change the studs. It's going to be time consuming and labor intensive.

Using a pizza cut-off wheel shorten the studs to the length you think they should be. Leave the lug nut below the cut-off point. After the cut-off grind, sand or file a chamfer onto the end of the stud. When you remove the lug nut it will clean up any nicks or burrs you may have put on the stud. Check your new lug nut and if it fits, cut the rest of the studs the same way. If it's too long, cut it off a bit shorter. This may take a little time but I can assure you it's a hell of a lot easier than changing the studs.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mp23

Established Member
Use the open nuts and top them off with the closed end ones. Just a little blue Loctite will keep them on there. No problems with them staying on.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Don't change the studs. It's going to be time consuming and labor intensive.

Using a pizza cut-off wheel shorten the studs to the length you think they should be. Leave the lug nut below the cut-off point. After the cut-off grind, sand or file a chamfer onto the end of the stud. When you remove the lug nut it will clean up any nicks or burrs you may have put on the stud. Check your new lug nut and if it fits, cut the rest of the studs the same way. If it's too long, cut it off a bit shorter. This may take a little time but I can assure you it's a hell of a lot easier than changing the studs.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Thanks for the advice! That is definitely what I will do then. What exactly does it mean to "grind, sand, or file a chamfer onto the end of the stud" though? Does that mean to just grind off the first thread? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Lol

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

SBVERT03

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys! Got it done yesterday and am happy with it. Now I just have to figure out how what's going on with my rubbing up front!

Users who are viewing this thread