Putting something down on seat for grip?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Need to make my factory leather seat more grippy!

What can I throw down on it so my butt doesn't slide around? (For OT)

9746C

David Hester

Established Member
Maybe take it easy on the Armor All? ;-)
Are you using stock belts? I reach down and pull the shoulder belt tight just about every straight street car or race car. I got in the habit years ago in a formula car. pull on belts, check gauges. You really need to rely on belts to hold you, not the fabric on your butt or seat.
Years ago we did a SCCA Pro Rally in Chattanooga. Press day, drivers were giving press rides. Cars would go by with passenger hanging for dear life.
I got in car with Seamus Burke. Really nice guy. He kept looking over at me sitting there with my hands in my lap, even when we were a couple of feet in the air.
I told him I raced and if belts didn't hold us in, my arms weren't going to do squat.
Kinda like this.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0ITsYL1Jw"]YouTube - Seamus Burke[/ame]

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Need to make my factory leather seat more grippy!

What can I throw down on it so my butt doesn't slide around? (For OT)

9746C

P3090003.jpg
:beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
I have seen a rubber type of material that a student used in his gt500. It worked really well. He was supposed to e-mail me the site where he purchased it at but he never did. Sorry i couldn't be more help.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Anti-skid matting works wonders. You know, the soft rubbery waffle shaped stuff you use to line tool box drawers with.

I use it in the flying pig and it's great!

YMMV,

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

shlbygt

Established Member
Anti-skid matting works wonders. You know, the soft rubbery waffle shaped stuff you use to line tool box drawers with.

I use it in the flying pig and it's great!

YMMV,

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:
That is what I use to make rental car race seats. Combine the mat with a CG Lock and you'd be amazed how much easier it is to drive on track with factory seats.
I often have an extra mat for my students to use. By the second day when they start to get it and get faster you can really tell when they are clinging to the steering wheel to keep themselves in place and not just using a death grip out of fear. There is a fair amount of smoothness that is lost by holding the wheel to stay in the seat.

Pur Juic

track ho
Established Member
http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

CG-Lock replaces or attaches to your existing stock 3pt harness to lock your a$$ to lower seat while still allowing the shoulder strap to work normally. I put these in my wife's SVO when she ran it on the track and it worked great. :thumbsup: I had to take the stock slide apart to make it work but no big deal.

While your legs (knees) will still move, your a$$ is planted firmly in the seat. It definitely makes going around the track easier when you are not shifting around in the seat and it is a low-cost option for the start-up track junkie.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I thought about picking those up Darwin, but thought they were just a gimmick like the Tornado. Thanks for the recommendation!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The tornado is a gimmick? Dammit....I had one on order...thought it would make more power than a Metco 6lb lower.. :)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The tornado is a gimmick? Dammit....I had one on order...thought it would make more power than a Metco 6lb lower.. :)
Nah, same amount of power...just better fuel mileage! Better atomization yo!:banana:

David Hester

Established Member
Something about the beltclamp to watch.
It will wear the belt in the area where it clamps. Not sure I'd use it every day.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
When I am not at the track, I remove the slide clamp on the CG and put it in the console. That way, it acts like a normal seat belt.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm very partial to my Corbeau A4 seats. They may be fading like crazy, but they hold my butt in place during hard corners. I did an autocross on the stock GT seats and hated it because I was either bracing myself on the door or holding on to the steering wheel for dear life. After the Corbeaus, even with stock belts I didn't move at all. It was amazing and I could actually focus on driving.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

CG-Lock replaces or attaches to your existing stock 3pt harness to lock your a$$ to lower seat while still allowing the shoulder strap to work normally. I put these in my wife's SVO when she ran it on the track and it worked great. :thumbsup: I had to take the stock slide apart to make it work but no big deal.

While your legs (knees) will still move, your a$$ is planted firmly in the seat. It definitely makes going around the track easier when you are not shifting around in the seat and it is a low-cost option for the start-up track junkie.
What I found to be much cheaper was to use my kid's child seat locking clip. Sit in the seat with the belt on. Clamp it down tight on your belt while buckeled in. Then release and it will be ready to go every session you strap in.

Users who are viewing this thread