Q weak engine rods?

kahukub

Established Member
Hi everyone

Well I've been doing lots of research on the subject rods and pistons on our engine, but it still bugs me that even with a safe tune it seems like its walking on thin ice. Have you guys had any problems pushing your stock engine? The reason I ask is because I'm jumping straight into a stage 6 port, 6# pulley, SCT MAF 2600, and hopefully a dead on tune. Wish me luck I would hate to blow a 30,000 mile motor.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Hey gents

So ive been doing lots of research and i figured id ask this question because i couldnt find a direct answer. is it worth spending the money to max out your stock engine with bolt on mods or should i let my truck suffer for a very long time while i build the engine. i know its a better bang for the buck, Porting, MAF, Tunned, Etc etc but im more worried about the long run. have you guys had any problems? My baby is still a virgin with 30,000 miles on it and i would hate to send a rod through the block

Which is exactly why my motor is still stock. I did power mods to my Terminator as I wasn't worried about venting a block with it. With my L I can't afford to have my DD go down for an extended period of time.

I guess your question kind of depends on the person. IMO a smartly modded stock motor L with a "GOOD TUNE" should be able to handle 430-450 whp if you don't constantly beat it to death. A 430-450 whp L(which I don't obviously don't have but I have ridden in them) is a very entertaining truck. Obviously they aren't the fastest thing on the road, but a L is never going to be the fastest thing on the road regardless, and if you do all the typical stock longblock mods you will have a very strong pulling truck capable of low 12's and maybe less if you start getting into weight reduction, slicks/skinnies, etc.

Still if you want peace of mind, and you can afford it, and you want to make some real power with a L then built is the way to go. I would love to go with a high compression,(when talking boosted apps) all aluminum 5.4 using ported TFS heads, custom ground cams, a 2013 GT500 TVS 2300, etc, etc, but these things cost moneys.

Last edited:

kahukub

Established Member
Jroc, whitltng

You make a good point, I guess I kinda lost the view of having fun verses stressing on the engine ;-)

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
You'll find that if you do any research you won't find any particular problems with the rods on a "stock" Lightning engine as you also won't on most "stock" engines

But once you start modifying any engine and adjusting it's "tune" - all bets are off and you're on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread