Quality Concerns with GT500???

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Here's a question every one should be asking themselves. Based on the various issues with the 03/04 Cobra (engine tick....rear suspension and others), do you think Ford has learned from their mistakes and this car will be any different??? :shrug: Any one have concerns with buying the first year's production of the GT500??? :shrug: I already read that the 05 GT's have problems with their gas tanks and as being an owner of an 03 Cobra I can't help but wonder. Just some food for thought...............

95rcobra

03Terminator said:
Here's a question every one should be asking themselves. Based on the various issues with the 03/04 Cobra (engine tick....rear suspension and others), do you think Ford has learned from their mistakes and this car will be any different??? :shrug: Any one have concerns with buying the first year's production of the GT500??? :shrug: I already read that the 05 GT's have problems with their gas tanks and as being an owner of an 03 Cobra I can't help but wonder. Just some food for thought...............

Well from my experience with Ford and SVT I would always expect something to pop up as a concern. Although I did read last week that the 2004 Mustang overall had the fewest problems per 100 vehicles than any other sports or performance car. it was like 15 or 20 per 100 which is very low. I have never based my buying decisions on that in the past and will not do so in the future. 8 Mustangs and 2 Lightnings later I have been very fortunate to have very minor problems over the years. BTW my last Cobra was a 2003 Redfire coupe and it was a solid car. Now I have the Mystic and it is great. I will not be trading that in for the GT500. Probably will pick up one of those cheap 04's when the Shelby comes out and some are looking to ditch their Terminators. a nice 2004 Competition Orange with low miles will suit me just fine.

Later, 95rcobra.

-----------------------------------------------------
2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
This is the one thing that scares me about getting a first run GT-500.

Ford has really struggled lately to get thier new cars and trucks right the first time. Although they seem to have done better with the 05 V-6 and GT's.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Nothing could be worse then the old car, it was band aid after band aid for 25 years. I would be much more confident in any new car then its predecessor. EVERY SINGLE car ever built has some issues allong the way.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
This is the one thing that scares me about getting a first run GT-500.

Ford has really struggled lately to get thier new cars and trucks right the first time. Although they seem to have done better with the 05 V-6 and GT's.

the cars, yea i can agree to some extent but the trucks??? the superdutys have been and still are class leading for their toeing and im pretty sure hauling too. not to mention the recent addition of coilover fronts.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
the cars, yea i can agree to some extent but the trucks??? the superdutys have been and still are class leading for their toeing and im pretty sure hauling too. not to mention the recent addition of coilover fronts.

Yup 1100 new parts(just about everything except the body shell), and uses the 550-spec front suspension. Everything else from other makers is simply laughable. The 150 is the same against its competitors.

Last edited:

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:

I have a 03 F350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke. It is a great truck and I love it, but it spent some serious time in the shop, on several different occasions, when I first got it. Oil leaks, (3) bad injectors, ICP sensor and other misc. items. If your not familiar with the new 6.0 Powerstroke, Ford (International) had some SERIOUS problems with it when the motor first came out. This is what I am talking about. I am not making this stuff up.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
you should be scared of the quality on ANYTHING with the name "Shelby" on it.
I dont think Carrol Shelby is going to have anything to do with the quality of this car good or bad. This car was Engineered by SVT not Carrol Shelby. He may have added to the mix and given his blessing but that is about it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i know your not making stuff up but your saying that one engine causes all of their trucks to be bad??? and you also said "SERIOUS problems with it when the motor first came out". right there it is, when it first came out. so your implying they fixed the problems. so how are all the ford trucks(ranger, f-150, f-250, f-350) so bad just because the new powerstroke had problems at first. not to mention thats internationals falt, not fords. i do hope you have better luck with your truck though.

BTW, does anyone know what fords doing about the next big diesel? ive heard that their gonna switch to a CAT in 1-2 years so they own some of cat and ive heard that their gonna go for cummins when their contract with dodge is up. apperantly their not gonna be sticking with international in the future though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
ShelbyGuy said:
you should be scared of the quality on ANYTHING with the name "Shelby" on it.
How's YOUR quality SHELBYguy? I couldn't resist it. :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMHO Ford is going to do this one right. As much publicity as it is getting, along with their sagging sales, they need to hit a home run here. Kind of like the Ford GT but at the so-called working man's level. I think the quality is going to be top notch. I do not believe they want to see the quality issues like they had on the '03/'04 Cobras.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
CobraBob said:
IMHO Ford is going to do this one right. As much publicity as it is getting, along with their sagging sales, they need to hit a home run here. Kind of like the Ford GT but at the so-called working man's level. I think the quality is going to be top notch. I do not believe they want to see the quality issues like they had on the '03/'04 Cobras.
I'm hoping they do do it right. I don't know about using the GT as an example. It has had more problems than it should have. It even had a "Do not drive this car" warning and the dealerships picked them up at the owners homes to take it in for the fix.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
i know your not making stuff up but your saying that one engine causes all of their trucks to be bad??? and you also said "SERIOUS problems with it when the motor first came out". right there it is, when it first came out. so your implying they fixed the problems. so how are all the ford trucks(ranger, f-150, f-250, f-350) so bad just because the new powerstroke had problems at first. not to mention thats internationals falt, not fords. i do hope you have better luck with your truck though.

BTW, does anyone know what fords doing about the next big diesel? ive heard that their gonna switch to a CAT in 1-2 years so they own some of cat and ive heard that their gonna go for cummins when their contract with dodge is up. apperantly their not gonna be sticking with international in the future though.
I NEVER said Ford trucks were bad! I am a huge Ford truck fan. I believe that they are the best trucks on the road.
What I said, and anyone who really follows Ford knows this, that they have had thier share of problems with new models, both cars and trucks. I am not saying ALL the new cars or trucks have had these problems. But early problems have happened enough to make me nervous about buying an initial offering, and that is the point I am trying to make.

The next Powerstoke is supposed to be a 6.4 liter twin turbo derivative of the International 6.0 that is in the truck now. While it will be a much different engine, it will still be based on the 6.0 we currently have. This is what I am hearing. I havent heard anything about Ford leaving International although I wish they would!

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
I have a 03 F350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke. It is a great truck and I love it, but it spent some serious time in the shop, on several different occasions, when I first got it. Oil leaks, (3) bad injectors, ICP sensor and other misc. items. If your not familiar with the new 6.0 Powerstroke, Ford (International) had some SERIOUS problems with it when the motor first came out. This is what I am talking about. I am not making this stuff up.

we only had about 6 total that were subject to the fuel rail problem. nothing ever else since. 7.3 and Duramax junkies blow it out of proportion. They had everything straight after about 2 months of production. The entire bucket of shit bolted to a duramax(the chevy part) or a cummins is a major problem. A couple things fixed under warranty is not a MAJOR problem. My g/f's honda hybrid is in for its 15th or so 'recall' or warranty issue, but consumer reports does not acknowledge anything at all wrong with the car, go figure.

Last edited:

Terminator

Established Member
KevinB120 said:
My g/f's honda hybrid is in for its 15th or so 'recall' or warranty issue, but consumer reports does not acknowledge anything at all wrong with the car, go figure.

If that Honda was a Ford it would be plastered all over the news. Whats up with that?
Benz have a huge recall and I heard it once, go figure.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Terminator said:
If that Honda was a Ford it would be plastered all over the news. Whats up with that?
Benz have a huge recall and I heard it once, go figure.

I think Honda gives everyone at CR rimjobs and free cars every year. I can not believe people do not realize the construction of their new models is exactly the same as the 80's models, they just dont rust. Everything else 'new' is computers and plastics, just like everyone else does. There is nothing special about an asian import. They make car lines out of 3 platforms and 3 motors and just put them in other thin-metal spot-welded cans.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
KevinB120 said:
we only had about 6 total that were subject to the fuel rail problem. nothing ever else since. 7.3 and Duramax junkies blow it out of proportion. They had everything straight after about 2 months of production. The entire bucket of shit bolted to a duramax(the chevy part) or a cummins is a major problem. A couple things fixed under warranty is not a MAJOR problem. My g/f's honda hybrid is in for its 15th or so 'recall' or warranty issue, but consumer reports does not acknowledge anything at all wrong with the car, go figure.
I am not here to bash Ford Trucks. I am a Ford Truck man as Toby Kieth would say. I like my Powerstoke and will probably get another one when I replace this truck in a few years. But the problems with the 6.0 were not the result of anyones imagination. There were also alot of issues besides the "fuel rail problem".

The point is that ANY new car or drivetrain makes me nervous. Didnt the 03 Cobra have some issues? My head (big head) tells me... "The smart thing to do would be to sit back and wait for a car till the spring of 07. The dealer markup should have settled down by then and Ford will have fixed any bugs that the new car may have." My heart says... "What are you nuts?! You have waited your whole life for a car like this!! Get it as soon as possible!!!"

R1Lello

Established Member
blueovalkid said:
I am not here to bash Ford Trucks. I am a Ford Truck man as Toby Kieth would say. I like my Powerstoke and will probably get another one when I replace this truck in a few years. But the problems with the 6.0 were not the result of anyones imagination. There were also alot of issues besides the "fuel rail problem".

The point is that ANY new car or drivetrain makes me nervous. Didnt the 03 Cobra have some issues? My head (big head) tells me... "The smart thing to do would be to sit back and wait for a car till the spring of 07. The dealer markup should have settled down by then and Ford will have fixed any bugs that the new car may have." My heart says... "What are you nuts?! You have waited your whole life for a car like this!! Get it as soon as possible!!!"

:read:

My feeling exactly.........my buddy and I waiting 'til after the Jan show in Detroit, then we will visit the dealers if we like what we see. That way we will read some tests, know about a few issues(hopefully minor ones) and if none around, oh well, we'll hope the 08 is only better.

Users who are viewing this thread