Quality control issues

imslow

Established Member
I bought a black gt 350 about a month ago in Phoenix Az. The past month I have been very busy with work and have not driven the car all that much. Today while washing it for the first time I noticed what looked like clear coat over spray over the entire car. It's everywhere, it's on the windows tires and even the rubber trim. So while looking the entire car over, I noticed that the driver side front fender looked like it sat lower than the passenger side. I then opened the driver side door and saw that the door rubs against the front vendor and scratched the paint off from the door :fm: Needless to say I have having a bad day and very disappointed. A 60k car should not have these issues.

20160624_151239.jpg

myshelby3425

Established Member
U think that's bad??? The top corner edges of my front and rear bumper is chipping paint, they melted my side skirt with hot glue, weather stripping on driver door damaged from incorrect installation, driver door not aligned, driver side skirt sticks out from improper installation, driver door not aligned correctly, driver fender not aligned correctly, rear bumper not aligned correctly, a small speck on rear bumper missing paint but it was cleared over.. I wish I only had that small black chipped paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Five-O

Established Member
End of the month cars!

Show the dealership and have them fix it. I work in a vehicle manufacturing plant, it happens unfortunately where a couple now and then squeak by with some defects that got overlooked at some point.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Sucks. The problem is that they are put on the same line as $20k cars.

I would talk to your dealer and work With ford on a fix

BlownAway03

Established Member
These issues are occurring way too often on the GT350. I wonder what the deal is? Paint issues and panel alignment seem most common, but I've seen wrong seats installed, wrong spoilers installed, rear window install issues, etc.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Sucks. The problem is that they are put on the same line as $20k cars.

I would talk to your dealer and work With ford on a fix

So were all the GT500's. Something has changed at the plant and it doesn't appear to be a good thing.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
End of the month cars!

Show the dealership and have them fix it. I work in a vehicle manufacturing plant, it happens unfortunately where a couple now and then squeak by with some defects that got overlooked at some point.

Tundra plant?

So were all the GT500's. Something has changed at the plant and it doesn't appear to be a good thing.

Sad to say that I have to agree. The S-197 cars did not seem to suffer from as many quality control issues as the S-550.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I wonder if they use any 3rd party workers at that plant. That's a big thing down south, and quality definitely isn't the same when you have 2 people working side by side, but one makes 50% less than the other. I hate when people try to make excuses for quality issues on cars. In today's world with all the automation and technology, there simply is no reason for the stuff we're seeing to leave the plant. Someone simply isn't doing their job.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You don't have to be a 3rd party worker to make less money. Manufacturers have had multi-tier wage systems for years. It is not uncommon for a new hire to make half of what a long time worker makes and have the same job description and title. Another disparaging thing is the new hire has a completely different savings structure, medical coverage and lesser benefits. This results in a lot of problems on the floor, one of which is a lackadaisical attitude towards workmanship and quality control.

BlownAway03

Established Member
You don't have to be a 3rd party worker to make less money. Manufacturers have had multi-tier wage systems for years. It is not uncommon for a new hire to make half of what a long time worker makes and have the same job description and title. Another disparaging thing is the new hire has a completely different savings structure, medical coverage and lesser benefits. This results in a lot of problems on the floor, one of which is a lackadaisical attitude towards workmanship and quality control.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that scenario too. Several of the plants near me have began that business practice. Third party workers are more common here though. You get what I'm saying though.

Kevin P

Established Member
The clear coat is applied to the body before its all assembled. I strongly suspect that the overspray you reference is something that happened post-production. The body panel fitment is clearly a problem though.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
These issues are occurring way too often on the GT350. I wonder what the deal is? Paint issues and panel alignment seem most common, but I've seen wrong seats installed, wrong spoilers installed, rear window install issues, etc.

Wow, did not know about the wrong spoilers/seats being installed.
Imagine waiting months for a car only to go see it and it doesn't have the right equipment as ordered? That sucks. I bet it happens to all the manufacturers, but still sucks.

1stShelby

Established Member
My rear bumper is chipping paint along the seam, but Ford is fixing it under warranty. Just waiting on the new bumper to be painted and striped so we will see if we have any more fitment issues when they put the new one on.

chuckstang

Established Member
This car is treated no differently than any other Ford that goes down the assembly line. I have seen issues on every single mustang I have owned and I think my Shelby was probably the worst but I recommend leaving it, dealers tend to cause more pain and suffering.

bknapp

Established Member
Didn't you get this at Earnahrdt Ford?

I did get mine there. I was shocked at how nice the paint is. I just detailed it and it was spotless. I have never seen a Ford with such nice paint. I didn't get a good look at my dads car but I didn't see any glaring issues when I picked it up. Guess we lucked out.

Homer Jay

Established Member
I did get mine there. I was shocked at how nice the paint is. I just detailed it and it was spotless. I have never seen a Ford with such nice paint. I didn't get a good look at my dads car but I didn't see any glaring issues when I picked it up. Guess we lucked out.

I'd say you did!

Didn't the OP buy from Earnhardt also?

PTYHRD

Established Member
Mine has the same, haven't addressed the issues with Ford yet but....

Just started up the car tonight for a friend tonight and did a little rev. definitely a loud screeching sound coming from the driver side under the hood. Shut the car off and turned it back on and no noise. Car has 2300 miles now. I guess ill make an appointment and take it in.

Users who are viewing this thread