Quality where it counts...

BluePastU

Established Member
Alright, so everyone knows that 03/04 Cobra's lack in some areas that separate "luxury" cars from pony cars. Ok, the body panels don't line up perfectly, there are a few squeaks and rattles, thin paint, cheap material...but what about where quality REALLY counts. The drivetrain, engine, chasis, etc. Of course there are problems out there, notably the tick, vibe, weak halfshafts....but what about the overall reliability of where it really counts to get you from point A to point B, being able to run spiritidly (not abusively of course), and be in one piece for years to come. Do you folks feel that it is a good investment to make for someone who want's a daily driver but when they put their foot down can be pushed deep into their seat?

Thanks.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
If well maintained, I don't see why it wouldn't last 200K miles w/o a problem.

ModsAway

Established Member
In stock form without any track time these cars would probably last quite some time....

I know that every mod I add and every lap around the track or shot down the quarter mile is taking time off the life of my car. Do I care? Nope, its all in fun and thats what I bought the car for.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a tough question. Left totally stock I would not be at all concerned. But once you start modding the motor the risk factor inches up ever so slowly. Objectively there are other much better reliability choices out there. But none with the bang-for-the-buck of the Cobra. I was never personally worried about a motor issue on the road. Even with my mods. It is not going to be at the top of any reliability ratings (in stock form), but it should be at least average IMO. Anyone ever check the Consumer Reports reliability rating?

Last edited:

BluePastU

Established Member
Just a question CobraBob...why did you sell your 03? Just not practical in CT? Personal issues? Problems with the vehicle?

I am going to buy used which I am somewhat apprehensive about. I know not everyone drives like an idiot, but especially with modded cars....there's always that feeling that this car was not taken care of as some other cars. Another option was going with a used C5/Z06. Their value has been dropping quite a bit as well because of overproduction and the new C6's coming out (aren't they starting delivery to those who pre-ordered already?). I know you can get a NEW Z06 right now for 8-10K off in some areas! At least this way I know that the car wasn't driven that hard cuz it was most likely driven by some middle aged man looking for some kicks and giggles (in my area anyways....seems the only ones that drive fast are the C5's!)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I sold mine for a few reasons.
1. I was putting too much time into it because I tend to do that with muscle cars. LOL! You know, attending cruises, shows, cleaning it for those things, etc.
2. I was putting too much money into mods. I was constantly trying something new to push the envelope.
3. I didn't want to buy a beater and needed something more practical for every day and year round use.

There are a lot of great used '03s out there. Mine was certainly one of them. You can find a lot of low mileage '03s since many don't necessarily drive them every day. The resale on these cars has plummetted due to over-production and the new '05 GT coming out, so it is a buyer's market. You'll get a much better deal on a used '03 Cobra than a Z-06, but if you do buy a used '03 Cobra be sure to check it out well. These are commonly raced (street and strip) so it might be hard to find a motor that hasn't been pushed. But.....on the plus side these motors are built to take it so I doubt you'll find any real issues in an average used '03.

In closing, except for some common drivetrain sloppiness and transmission noise, I had absolutely no issues with my Cobra. I felt it was well above average quality wise (at least I felt MINE was), the paint was great, the motor was never taken in for anything except for oil changes, and..........it was a blast to drive. Sure there are higher quality rides out there, but the Cobra has the best balance of power and price. So it boils down more to what you really want. If you want one, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on a good used '03.

Cobrizo

Established Member
Bluepastu,
I definitely recommend the Cobra, they're a blast to drive. It puts a smile on my face everytime I get in mine. I drive mine almost every day, it gets a lot of looks and a lot of thumbs up from other drivers. Very fun! Mine's black with Borla Stingers and very dark tinted windows, I think its really sharp. I've got a JLT CAI and a Steeda Triax shifter. Its stored during winter. I wouldn't give it up for anything! Life is too short not to have something fun to drive!

Pam

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Blue, if you don't plan to mod past exhaust and intake I would just get an extended warranty. I have one for 7yr/100k miles. I was going to go mod crazy but accepted the fact I can't pay AND play if things break. If you do plan to mod, I can't see ANY vehicle having decent longevity. Mine now is a daily driver w/25k miles and now issues other than drivetrain slop.

Users who are viewing this thread