Quarter Panel Dents - S197 Defect

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Does anyone remember a thread about rear quarter panel dents that just show up on their own? The dents appear under the rearward part of the quarter panel window and appear as small dents or creases in the metal.

I searched this forum and couldn't find anything, I suppose it could have been on the Team Shelby forum, but I thought I read it here maybe two years ago.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
I remember the thread I believe it was on TS. I think those guys got it fixed under warranty but I can't be sure.

SicShelby09

Banned
Does anyone remember a thread about rear quarter panel dents that just show up on their own? The dents appear under the rearward part of the quarter panel window and appear as small dents or creases in the metal.

I searched this forum and couldn't find anything, I suppose it could have been on the Team Shelby forum, but I thought I read it here maybe two years ago.

I have those on both sides. My friend who owns a dent pulling company said that most likely it is where they stopped or started spraying some sort of insulator in the inside of the panel. He pulled a very small dent out of the rear of one of my rear quarter panels, and thats when he noticed it. He said it would be very hard to correct because it was in the middle of the panel. I have it too, and I have noticed it on other S197 cars at various car shows.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in..._661774__hl__dents__fromsearch__1#entry661774

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
i remember something about this...i thought they were from stress/strain from dragstrip digs? maybe something completely different..idk.

breoland

Established Member
very interested in finding out more. please post pics and what ford has done to correct it

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Yea, I have this too. I went to go get a tiny dent out of my door and the body shop guy said I have waves in my rear quarter panel on both sides. I looked hard and noticed it, but you can hardly notice it unless you really look for it and the light catches it right. Mine was like that when I first got it and never abused it or launched it.

chuckstang

Established Member
Every car has it, you just have to look very hard on some where others it is very noticeable.

you really need good lighting to see

SVT_Jay

Established Member
Sometimes in the plant....

I remember on a tour at AAI, we asked and this is a common area for dents if you are talking on top of the quarter panel near the rear quarter window to decklid. Apparently, the metal is very weak because of stamping stresses and easily dented if you even lean on the metal. It will crease with almost no pressure. The plant said they inspect each Mustang just for that damage, but my guess would be that it is really hard to see, easy to miss and can happen even after you take delivery. I was so paranoid, I even waxed the quarters carefully...

Jay

6-Speed

Established Member
Every car has it, you just have to look very hard on some where others it is very noticeable.

you really need good lighting to see
Not true ... my rear quarter panels are dimple-free. But I have seen them on a neighbor's Roush 427R.

Users who are viewing this thread