Question: 2011 Nissan Xterra S 4X4

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Hello Guys,

I am in the process of moving to MA (from FL), and was thinking about buying a 4X4 capable vehicle to get me through the snow / ice. I don't know much about foreign cars as I have always had Fords / Chevys (and some Dodge), but tonight I saw a 2011 Nissan XTerra S 4X4 for a great deal. This SUV has a MSRP = $29,350, and it is on special (end of year + Nissan incentives) for $23,990. No high end options (leather, sat radio, nav, etc), but it is a 4X4, all terrain wheel/tire package, cargo cover, cargo organizer box, security option, and a couple of other little things. Dealer is also willing to add fog lights and running boards at cost (about $500). I drove it and it felt good - for a small truck / SUV. My question - Does anyone here have info and or experience with these vehicles? I am not looking to do any serious off-road trucking (otherwise I would get a Jeep Wrangler), but will use it for every day transportation, traveling on snow / ice, and general family fun. Seems like a great deal, good overall vehicle, and I believe Nissan makes good cars. Your comments / feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to offer a few other SUVs to consider until I saw that you intend to do some serious off-road trucking. That limits your choices. But I can definitely recommend the 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4. It gives you more interior/storage space, too. There is also the 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I would look at those two as well, and test drive them. Along with any other options. Then decide.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I think he actually said he didn't. They are good trucks. That seems to be a good price. The new Jeep Motor is supposed to be really good. I have heard the Nissans get really bad MPG. Not as good as what is posted. But they supposedly run for a while without any major issues.

Fuerza

Established Member
My friend has an xterra 4x4 and my wife drives a wrangler unlimited. The xterra is more road friendly than a wrangler. A wrangler is more of an off roader than the xterra. I would compare the too, they both can go offroading but IMO the xterra would be more comfortable day to day. The new Jeep motor is way ahead of the older mini van motor, I bought a 2011 and wish I had know about the 2012 engine. I don't think you'd have any problems with a xterra day to day.

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Thank you guys for your comments. Like I noted, I am not going to do any serious off road driving. This is intended for daily driving, and for me to be able to deal with some snow / ice. I really like the Jeep Wrangler, and initially started to look at those, but they can get a bit more expensive, specially 2012s which I would get due to the new engine, but again not going to do any serious off-road driving. I drove the XTerra, and it seems like a more comfortable day-in / day-out vehicle. I have also heard that the XTerras do not have the greatest MPG. The price on the one I am looking at seems to be a great deal which is another deciding factor. Thank you again for your comments / help. Much appreciated.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If you want to see what new 4x4 are selling for try truecar.com. It gives you everything from incentives, msrp, invoice, and even dealer cost after holdback. It also has info on other like sold cars in the area.....

Users who are viewing this thread