Question about cars geting taken away for speeding.

ZeroFear

Banned
I saw a video in roadside pub about how the police in some town took away a bunch of peoples expensive cars and used them as police cars. Saw a few other vids where the cars where simply destroyed.

I'm curious as to what crimes you have to commit / be found guilty of to get your car taken from you. Under what law do the police have the right to repossess your personal property. The only thing I know of hand is if you have alot of drugs in said possession.

Please no "I guess" answers. I tried searching google but didn't really know what law to lookup.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
There are a host of reasons that your cars can be taken. specifics vary by state and then on top of that you have federal law to worry about.

1. Product of criminal conduct. i.e. if the feds can prove that your car(s) were purchased with the gain from criminal conduct they can seize them. i.e. drug sales,
2. Tax liens. Don't pay your taxes .. IRS on your ass .. car is subject to seizure and sale to satisfy taxes owed
3. it is becomming more and more common for street racers to give up their cars when caught.

it is too bad there is not a Dumbshit driver seizure law.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I saw a video in roadside pub about how the police in some town took away a bunch of peoples expensive cars and used them as police cars. Saw a few other vids where the cars where simply destroyed.

I'm curious as to what crimes you have to commit / be found guilty of to get your car taken from you. Under what law do the police have the right to repossess your personal property. The only thing I know of hand is if you have alot of drugs in said possession.

Please no "I guess" answers. I tried searching google but didn't really know what law to lookup.

THE POLICE DONT TAKE AWAY ANYONE'S CARS!!!! The court system, led by a judge, makes that determination.

Nothing is repossessed, the vehicles are usually part of a forfeiture arrangement.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
THE POLICE DONT TAKE AWAY ANYONE'S CARS!!!! The court system, led by a judge, makes that determination.

Nothing is repossessed, the vehicles are usually part of a forfeiture arrangement.

:lol::lol: :lol: a VERY good point ...

ZeroFear

Banned

I was just going off what I saw in the news videos, like when one LEO in a blue cobra brags about taking away cars so he can drive them.

The news makes it out like the police stop you, say "hey give me your car mmmk" and the owner is left with his thumb up someplace.

Thanks for the correct info.

jshen

Established Member

Georgia does have statutes for "condemnation" of personal property used in the commission of crimes. For your purposes, unless there are drug crimes, RICO acts- read racketeering- and gang related activities. Property is OK..That does NOT address fed's condemnation statutes.

I can see how a group of cars could be taken under a RICO/gang scenaro..where they are collectively racing and making a business out of it..But it would not be just the cars...ANY asset that comes from illegal activity under those statutes can be condemned- houses, cars, bank accts...everything..Remember Fast and Furious 1 & 2? That would be RICO example ...

Users who are viewing this thread