question about clutch firewall adjuster

Karibian

Established Member
I installed a Steeda quadrant and firewall adj. Now my clutch is grabbing almost all the way at the end. I have the fire adjustment screwed almost all the way in (towards the firewall). When I bring it out its seems to engage further from out. The car has 7,000 miles on it. What can I do to improve where the clutch engages.

With the stock quadrant it engaged in the middle which was perfect.

Jon

grnenvy

Established Member
One other thing My clutch lets out at the top and that is what I wanted for those fast and easy pwr shifts. Just make sure that the clutch is engaging and disengaging ok.

Karibian

Established Member
It engages and disengages fine. Where is your adjuster set at on the thraeds (how far out is it)? Like I said mine is all the way in

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Did you use the stock clutch cable? What hook did you put the clutch cable in on the quadrant? Is there any slack on the clutch cable what the clutch is let all the way out?

Karibian

Established Member
I have the stock cabel. The is only one hook the quadrant, that is what the cable is hooked to. There is no slack in the cable when the clutch is all the way out. Its tight all the time and its a bitch to turn the adjustment.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Oh - you got the speed clutch quadrant - not the double hook. There is no adjustment on the stock clutch cable, and you don't want a lot of pressure on the clutch cable when the pedal is released, because it is keeping your clutch from fully disengaging. If you can't adjust it enough to release some of that pressure with the firewall adjuster, you will need to do one of two things - get an adjustable clutch cable from Steeda, or get a double hook clutch quadrant.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Oh - you got the speed clutch quadrant - not the double hook. There is no adjustment on the stock clutch cable, and you don't want a lot of pressure on the clutch cable when the pedal is released, because it is keeping your clutch from fully disengaging. If you can't adjust it enough to release some of that pressure with the firewall adjuster, you will need to do one of two things - get an adjustable clutch cable from Steeda, or get a double hook clutch quadrant.
Great, timely advice! :)

KDog

Established Member
Ok, time for some technical discussion for the newbie. :p

What's the difference between the single hook, double hook, and now I've seen triple hook clutch quadrants?

:read:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
More options for the slack/length of cable. In this case, if he had a second hook further back on the quadrant, closer to the firewall, he could move the cable end to that hook to get some slack in the cable.

I'd get UPR's pieces if I was buying now. They have an even newer design than the Exteme one they brought out not too long ago..

Old style, what I have.., 3 hook quadrant and locking firewall adjuster
3004_T_LRG.gif

"Extreme" adjuster
Blue_Extreme_Adjuster_LRG.gif

"Extreme" quadrant, looks the same to me, just blue?
Triple_Blue_Quad_LRG.gif

New Double Lock Adjuster, in parts & assembeled
Adjuster_DBL_LRG.gif

Users who are viewing this thread