question about gears in machs

Charles236

Established Member
GrimlokTT said:
Thank you for the update. What brand gears did you go with? Is there any noise from your rear? Why did you go with the Truetrac? Did you do the install?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a newb at this.

I used Motive Gears, and I chose the Detroit Truetrac because it is, for want of a better way to describe it, a torque splitting differential more than a limited slip. It doesn't use clutches to transfer torque from side to side, it uses a combination of worm gears and conventional gears to split torque. Since a worm gear can turn a conventional gear, but a conventional gear cannot turn a worm gear, it functions by preventing the torque load on the wheel with less traction from trying to rotate backwards instead of forwards. A conventional limited slip does this with preloaded clutch packs in the differential, which can work well most of the time, but are subject to more wear and slippage. My Cobra differential had approximately 21,000 miles on it, but I could overpower it by jacking up one rear wheel and turning it by hand, so it was slipping a lot more than I like. The Truetrac, on the other hand, will last for the life of the rear end with minimal maintenance and care. No clutches to wear out, and it is plenty strong for the torque level that a Mach1 has. As for gear noise, I have a very minimal amount because of setting the backlash of the gears on the tight side. It only comes in around 42-45 mph, and when I set up the gears I knew that it would be there. I set it up this way because I wanted to eliminate as much of the drivetrain backlash as I could (the lash of different parts adds up to contribute to the "clunk" that many IRS systems have when shifting gears). It isn't possible to eliminate all of it, but it can be reduced a fair amount. As far as me doing the install, I have decided to do all my own work on my Mach1. It is out of warranty in a couple of weeks anyway, and I used to be an ASE Master Auto Technician and a Chrysler Gold Certified Master Technician, so I'm fairly qualified to do anything on this car that it might need done.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Mach1chuck, you are one of the few Mach1 owners I've seen mention the value of a clutchless carrier such as the Detroit TrueTrac. Obviously, carriers like this are much more pricey, but the advantages are worth it.

I went with a Zexel Torsen unit which is comparable to the TrueTrac. It is totally street-friendly and decent for both drag and road racing. And you don't have to worry about friction modifier in your rear end either, like you do with clutches.

The FRPP traction-lock (or whatever) carriers with upgraded clutches are probably less than half the price of a Torsen or TrueTrac, but when their lifespan is far shorter, I don't think the idea of saving money on the carrier is worth it in the end.

I'm all for clutchless differentials.

Last edited:

GrimlokTT

Established Member
You guys have just about sold me on clutchless differentials. Now I just need to find someone locally to hear what the wine (sp?) sounds like... Gotta make sure I can live with it.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Folks over at Mach1Registry.com are saying the Detroit TrueTrac isn't totally silent. I'm a bit suspicious of their claims however. Other people are saying the carrier is totally silent. And a Currie representative told me they are silent.

I know from experience the Zexel Torsen unit is totally silent.

Users who are viewing this thread