question about gears in machs

Got Boost?

Established Member
any of you guys that have bumped it up to 4:10's, just wondering how much top end you've lost in terms of top speed? about what speed does the car start to fall on its ass?

redocmach1

Established Member
i have 4:10's and i must say that they are amazing...completely changed my car... my car riiips hard in the 1/4 mile now...my car does not fall on its ass at any speed... in 4th it still pulls like a train...i have had it to 155mph with the 4:10's easily 3 times and only turning 6000 rpm's...

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
If you aren't planning on any power adders or engine work, then I don't see why you wouldn't go with 4.30's. I've had 4.30's for a long time now and absolutely love them. But all of my races are over at 120 MPH roughly, which is the top of 4th gear. I doubt 4.10's are much different, so you might as well go with the 4.30's and a wee bit more acceleration. Hell, if you are going to get serious with suspension and tires, you could even go with 4.56's.

But if you are planning on making some power, then I wouldn't go over 4.10's. And you'll definitely need some suspension work and soft and wide fatties in the rear.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
wurd2 said:
If you aren't planning on any power adders or engine work, then I don't see why you wouldn't go with 4.30's. I've had 4.30's for a long time now and absolutely love them. But all of my races are over at 120 MPH roughly, which is the top of 4th gear. I doubt 4.10's are much different, so you might as well go with the 4.30's and a wee bit more acceleration. Hell, if you are going to get serious with suspension and tires, you could even go with 4.56's.

But if you are planning on making some power, then I wouldn't go over 4.10's. And you'll definitely need some suspension work and soft and wide fatties in the rear.

Off topic, but I love your sig. Just one thing.......an apostrophy in "it's" is also used in a possesive form. So technically, your statment is incorrect. ;-)

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Off topic, but I love your sig. Just one thing.......an apostrophy in "it's" is also used in a possesive form. So technically, your statment is incorrect. ;-)

I'm glad somebody likes it!

And while I appreciate criticism, you better check the books on grammar! Possessive pronouns such as its, ours, hers, and yours never include apostrophes! However, if the possessive pronoun ends in -one or -body then apostrophes are used. Don't you just love the English language? The rules were all decided at whim it would seem!

Do a search on Google, you will see that I am correct.

:beer:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
cobradude said:
4.30's,w/ 4.10's in the 1/4 you will need to shift before the line.

I have 4.30's and I highly doubt I could tap 4th gear in the 1/4 mile.
If I'm wrong, and I can trap 120 MPH+ in the 1/4 mile, then that's awesome.

:thumbsup:

SFMach1

EAT ME!
Established Member
Hey wurd2, I'm from the other two mach sites haha... anyways what is your setup for your gears? You have 4.30, but what diff. and axles are you using? Did you get the install kit? Where did you go to order all your parts? I've been looking into 4.30 gears for awhile now.

Thanks

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
SFMach1 said:
Hey wurd2, I'm from the other two mach sites haha... anyways what is your setup for your gears? You have 4.30, but what diff. and axles are you using? Did you get the install kit? Where did you go to order all your parts? I've been looking into 4.30 gears for awhile now.

Thanks

Differential:
I bought a 31-spline Torsen unit from Currie Enterprises (their page appears to be down right now) for $550 or so.
It's expensive, but it's a kick ass clutchless unit that won't degrade in effectiveness over time.
It's also quiet and street-friendly, and it's decent for drag and road racing.

Axles:
I called Moser up to order some 31-spline axles.
They only needed three pieces of information:
1. 2003 Mach1
2. Torsen Carrier
3. I want to keep my ABS
$250 and a week or so later, I had axles that fit perfectly.
I did not have to shim or grind anything for them to fit.

Gears:
I bought my gears from Currie also.
They are FRPP 4.30's and I forget how much they cost.
You can check their website when it's back up, or call them.

Other:
This is quite a long list of smaller things.
I bought a LPW aluminum cap cover with girdle supports from Summit.
And I bought all the miscellaneous setup stuff from Currie:
carrier shims, pinion shims, a few pinion crush sleeves, pinion bearings/races, carrier bearings/races, gear oil
axle seals, pinion seal, pinion nuts, extra ring gear bolts, a few cap cover gaskets
white grease (zinc oxide) for pattern checks

I also bought an extra pair of ABS exciter rings from some company, I forget.
You can probably Google for them.
You can use your stock rings if you can get them off your stock axles.
Since the rings are usually $20 a piece, it's easier to buy new ones than to fight your stock rings off your stock axles.

If you do a seach over at www.Mach1Mustang.org, you'll find a bunch of old posts when I was doing my rear end.
My Eleventeen pages are all down, but if you really want to check them out, I can re-host them.

Last edited:

BM1

Established Member
The car pulls harder all the way to its top speed with 4.10s over 3.55s. I redline 4th gear at around 125MPH.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
:bash:
wurd2 said:
I'm glad somebody likes it!

And while I appreciate criticism, you better check the books on grammar! Possessive pronouns such as its, ours, hers, and yours never include apostrophes! However, if the possessive pronoun ends in -one or -body then apostrophes are used. Don't you just love the English language? The rules were all decided at whim it would seem!

Do a search on Google, you will see that I am correct.

:beer:
\

I realized that today.....not sure what I was thinking when I posted that. :poke:

Charles236

Established Member
I have just finished setting up a set of 3.90s for my Mach1. I'm using a Detroit Truetrac differential, which works on the same principle as a Torsen, and is pretty close in cost. I have run 4.10s and 4.30s in the past in this Mach1, and didn't really care for the 4.10s. The 4.10s were a bit too low for me to use 4th gear in my normal driving, but not low enough to comfortably use 5th. I kept the 4.10s for only six days before swapping in a set of 4.30s, which I felt gave me the best performance overall. I now am using a Cobra IRS, with 3.55s, but as soon as I get a set of stub axle bearings and seals, my freshly rebuilt and set up pumpkin (spare pumpkin) with 3.90s will go in.

Charles236

Established Member
At 70 mph with 4.30s, my tachometer showed approximately 2,450 to 2,500 rpms. It wasn't too bad on gas, either, I got 24 to 25 mpg on the interstate at those speeds.

GrimlokTT

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
I have just finished setting up a set of 3.90s for my Mach1. I'm using a Detroit Truetrac differential, which works on the same principle as a Torsen, and is pretty close in cost. I have run 4.10s and 4.30s in the past in this Mach1, and didn't really care for the 4.10s. The 4.10s were a bit too low for me to use 4th gear in my normal driving, but not low enough to comfortably use 5th. I kept the 4.10s for only six days before swapping in a set of 4.30s, which I felt gave me the best performance overall. I now am using a Cobra IRS, with 3.55s, but as soon as I get a set of stub axle bearings and seals, my freshly rebuilt and set up pumpkin (spare pumpkin) with 3.90s will go in.

What all would I need to upgrade gears in my IRS to 3.90's as you did?

Got Boost?

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
At 70 mph with 4.30s, my tachometer showed approximately 2,450 to 2,500 rpms. It wasn't too bad on gas, either, I got 24 to 25 mpg on the interstate at those speeds.

well that seals my decision

Users who are viewing this thread