Question about Kooks shorties....

IGO 202

Established Member
Our car is the wife's daily driver but I like beating on it from time to time. After installing a Steeda x-pipe w/ hi-flow cats and using OEM mufflers the sound didn't change much so I put on a set of GT500's and bingo....perfect. She is fine with the sound/volume as is but I'm wanting to get a set of Kooks shorties.

Will the 1 & 7/8's shorties make much difference in the sound? I'm wanting more performance but don't want to increase the volume for her sake.

I was thinking if it did I could swap back my stock mufflers since the 500's are basically for sound. Just don't want the car louder but need a little more hp.

Thanks,
Dan

pufferfish

Established Member
I have the shorties with the gt500 mufflers and the rest is stock. I didn't gain any noticeable noise after installing the headers. its a nice little jump in power though. taking out the cats is where you see a lot of noise increase...and another 15rwhp!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
It will growl more but there's not much increase over the stock headers! I have an offroad x and its much louder without the cats! Kept the stock resonators to cancel out the rasp, i have no rasp!

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i have this X pipe, its great! How about a tune for more power? im going kooks shorties also here soon

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
I have them, no cats. Sounds really good. If you don't want it too loud, look into getting the new kooks green cats.

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
The exhaust tone sound "healthier" as I would describe it. The biggest difference is when you drive next the a wall or tall center divider and give it some gas. It definitely making more throaty or long tube header like. I love mine as well. : )

Let me know if anyone needs a set. I have a good deal on these brewin.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You'll get a slight increase, you'll notice it more with the window down , as the cabins are pretty tight in these cars as far as NVH

Great deals on the shorties right now

Beef
513-478-1965

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
The exhaust tone sound "healthier" as I would describe it. The biggest difference is when you drive next the a wall or tall center divider and give it some gas. It definitely making more throaty or long tube header like. I love mine as well. : )

Let me know if anyone needs a set. I have a good deal on these brewin.

Been thinking about switching from my roush mufflers to the GT500 ones. The gt500 mufflers are so heavy like the stock ones though...

NickSezz

Established Member
Been thinking about switching from my roush mufflers to the GT500 ones. The gt500 mufflers are so heavy like the stock ones though...

I love the way mine set-up sounds. I am not sure how you are not deaf yet with your setup!

If I had to pick a second choice I would go with the Kooks Axle backs. They sound great as well and weigh much less than the stock and GT500 mufflers.

They will be quieter then the Roush ABs but louder than the GT500 cans.

IGO 202

Established Member
I have them, no cats. Sounds really good. If you don't want it too loud, look into getting the new kooks green cats.

When I bought the Steeda x-pipe I was surprised to see the cats had Kooks stamped on them......don't know if they are the new green ones or not.

Not getting rid of the cats due to the noise increase & I was a little concerned of any gasoline fume smell if I did an off-road pipe.
Gotta keep momma happy.

Thanks for all the replies folks and also to you Beef for the quick price quote that is very reasonable.

Dan

IGO 202

Established Member
i have this X pipe, its great! How about a tune for more power? im going kooks shorties also here soon

Forgot to mention that I have been running a Bama tune. After data-logging twice with them I am very pleased with the power and drivability.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread