Question about my connection

MarshallJenkins

I made you buckwild
Established Member
Ok, before you ask, my 360 is already port forwarded to the router, and my NAT is Open. Now, when I'm playing MW2, sometimes, usually when I start, my connection is good. Then all of a sudden, it just starts sucking and lagging hard. Also, my computer is connected to the same connection, and when the 360 lags, my computer starts acting slow as well.

However, when I reset my router, both my computer and 360 will be faster. Is it my router? I'm starting to think so.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
What router do you have? I would start out by running a speedtest on your connection: Speakeasy Speed Test

I would guess either you don't have the bandwidth to support the game, or your router can't handle the number of connections required.

CaMera_On

TingTangDingDang
Established Member
I would run a speed test like SweetSVT99 said.

Do you know what speed you are paying for?

I know in Halo 2 and 3 people on live would use bots to flood your connection so that it would slow down tremendously, but I doubt that it is happening in MW2.

MarshallJenkins

I made you buckwild
Established Member
My router is a Linksys WRT54G

Also, I ran that test, I connected to Chicago

7.1mbps DL, 2.6mbps UL.

Is that good?

Last edited:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I'd run a continuous ping test on you computer....go play and when it starts laggin really bad see if your losing packets.
We have a linksys router and for no reason it'll just start dropping packets ever once in a while. Reset normally fixes it.

For a continuous ping
start>run>type "cmd"> enter
Type "ping google.com -t"

crtl+C to stop the ping test.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
My router is a Linksys WRT54G

Also, I ran that test, I connected to Chicago

7.1mbps DL, 2.6mbps UL.

Is that good?

That should be more than enough to run your game and then some, assuming your connection isn't fluctuating.

Your next step should be to check the version of your router's firmware and upgrade it if there is a newer version. If that doesn't take care of it, I would look into swapping the router out and see what happens.

For the record, even though it is a good router, I have heard of Xbox360 users having some problems with the WRT54G.

MarshallJenkins

I made you buckwild
Established Member
i did that test... when the connection was working fine, ping was under 100ms. when it started lagging, it would go north of 350ms.

it sent 134 packets and 3 were lost

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Have you tried running the XBOX with your PC off?

You said that when it happens, you check your PC and it seems slow too then you bounce your equipment so it could very well be something on the PC (malicious software) sucking up the resources.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

You said that when it happens, you check your PC and it seems slow too then you bounce your equipment so it could very well be something on the PC (malicious software) sucking up the resources.

Though I'm not going to say he doesn't have malicious software on his PC, it is unlikely that is the cause of his problem. If that were the case, he would have problems with the PC when he isn't using the xbox. Since he didn't report that to be the case, I'm going to ASSume the connection runs fine most other times.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
i did that test... when the connection was working fine, ping was under 100ms. when it started lagging, it would go north of 350ms.

it sent 134 packets and 3 were lost

Ping test was really a waste of time. All that's been proven is what you already knew...it gets slow when you use the xbox.

MarshallJenkins

I made you buckwild
Established Member

hmm, i'll give this a try

Users who are viewing this thread