Question about overdrive when racing from a roll...

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
So...lets say your in overdrive and cruising on the highway...and all of the sudden a car wants to race you...

Do you just turn overdrive off and let it downshift then go?
Or just punch the pedal even when it is in overdrive?

ez112

Established Member
umm...punch.

But I never race on the highway. 70+mph isn't the best point to race with these hogs.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Roll racing is very hard on an auto trans. I would turn off OD or manually select proper gear depending on speed so it doesn't downshift. Second gear downshifts at about 60-75mph with 500+hp are especially hard on these trans'. FFS

Here is a very old (2005 iirc) video I took with a 60-130mph blast when I was at 445/490 with a downshift and OD off: [ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=1685421"]MySpaceTV Videos: 60-135mph blast, at 442hp/490tq by FordFanStan[/ame]

Last edited:

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
I think this was what took out my tranny... lol

Was cruising doing 45 in o/d then punched it a few times while playing with a stang.

Who would have thought. Took my o/d out. lol.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Always take OD off.

These were from 70mph roll, and a 80mph roll. OD Off without a doubt. Not only is it bad for the tranny its even worse for your Rods.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4YZCZq5ww"]YouTube - Cobra vs Lightning - Street[/ame]

hillman

Established Member
do you get worse gas mileage with it off? i thought if you were just cruising around it keeps it from being in high rpms saving gas.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yes you will get much worse gas mileage, if your just cruising keep O/D on, but if you're going to be playing with the go-pedal, turn O/D off.

Blah...the only time I have the OD on is if I'm on the highway :banana: Then again I drive a blazer on a day to day basis and maybe 2k miles on the truck per year so I'm always on the go pedal :beer:

ez112

Established Member
Welp ya learn something new everyday. Didn't know it was that bad on it. I don't feel like putting in transmission number 3. So I'll just do the shut off from now on.

But again. I don't roll race.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I hadn't heard anything about O/D either, so whenever I have passed someone on the highway, I've always just punched it. So are the O/Ds prone to blowing out?

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
As everyone knows, the rods are the weak link in stock block Lightnings. The violent tranny kickdown, huge rush of incoming air (which the MAF cannot accurately measure thereby creating a lean condition) and engine load that occurs when doing an OD WOT blast can be too much for the rods to handle, particularly as you approach the 450-500 RWHP mark which is generally cited as the breaking point for the stock powdered rods. If you are entering a roll race turn the OD off. Once the tranny has downshifted you are in a much more safe place.

Personally I don't even go straight to WOT once my truck has shifted down into 3rd... I prefer to roll into the throttle to minimize engine load thereby reducing the risk of catastrophic failure. Doing this usually means I have to play catch-up in a roll race since the other car is able to put a length or so on me, but I'd rather play it safe and lose the race knowing I most likely could walk them if I were to got immediately to WOT. Fortunately "Belle" has enough nut to usually come out on top.

Also, don't go into OD while making a WOT blast. The shift to OD creates a 1 to 1 ratio (IIRC) which is a huge load on the rods as well. You'll find that many people have joined the VBC doing OD WOT runs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread