Question about storing a car for 3 years

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree that 3 years is a long time to basically store a car, when the car is going to depreciate during those 3 years. Not to mention the risk of damage from mice, the elements, thieves, other drivers, etc. He might really regret storing it that long if he finds out the new Mustang is a home run and he's stuck with a Mustang that is worth less than he had hoped. A lot of things to consider. I just would find it very hard to keep this one for that long. JMO.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Use Seafoam instead of stabil. Other than that good storage advice in this thread already.

01GTB

Established Member
If he's going to keep it you should be able to get a 10x20 storage building for $100 a month or so. Depending on your location. $3600 to keep it inside would be money well spent. Keep some non-ethanol fuel in it and go get it out once a month and drive it for a couple days. Keep the battery disconnected when it's stored and change the oil every year or so.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A good friend of mine in the navy is leaving for Australia for 3 years, he wants me to take care of his car (2011 gt/cs vert) while he is away. Unfortunately there is no garage to put the car in, so it will be outside under a cover. He doesn't want a lot of mileage put on the car while he is away but knows it needs to be driven some so that it is ready to go when he gets back.

What would you suggest as far as how often and for how long the car needs to be driven, how often to change the oil, and anything else that needs attention while it is sitting.

Thanks for the help guys
I just got back from the mid east the last 3 years. Left car with my brother in law. He followed my instructions. Once a week not more than two weeks drive the car to operating temp and do a push into 8-11 psi boost.to keep the method injection honest. Car runs great and probably had 500 or so extra.miles. I am happy.

Users who are viewing this thread