Question about Sync

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
Am I blind, or is there REALLY no way to put your mp3s on the system hard drive? All I see is the ability to take a standard CD audio format and have the jukebox pull the tracks off and store them???

I've tried a USB stick and a CD with my mp3s and find no way to load them. I did hit 'install' under the USB menu and a notice said it could not find files to install, yet I was playing the music files.

Last edited:

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
wondering the same thing. Have a stick full of goodies, but no joy on loading.

F
OK, glad I am not the only one. Both my Jeep SRT8s have a NAV/HDD setup, which although has had software upgrades, is still a few years old in technology. But, you can upload pics, mp3s right from a CD/DVD/USB/iPod/etc. by simply plugging it in and going to the appropriate button set on the HDD function. They go right on the hard drive.

Now, don't go all crazy on me when I say this, but if this isn't possible with the Ford Sync system...then what I initially thought was a great unit, takes away half of my use for the unit. I don't use an iPod, and if I did, I'm not carrying it around constantly for my car. Nor do I want to put all my mp3s on my smartphone just so I can bluetooth them to the Sync.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
There is no mention of a procedure that will allow you to copy from a USB device to the internal hard drive in the owners manual. Maybe someone will have a work around solution for your problem.

Check this post out, you may find it helpful.

Adding a hard drive to Sync!

2k3Mach

Established Member
I have a usb laptop hdd in my glovebox hooked up to the usb2 port! That leaves my original usb port in the console free for my phone. The portable hdd option makes it easy to plug the drive into my laptop and manipulate the songs I do/don't want on there!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

trolls56

Established Member
What do you need to load it to the hard drive for just plug in the stick and listen to them from there.

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
What do you need to load it to the hard drive for just plug in the stick and listen to them from there.
I love it when people turn questions around like this. Here are a few replies:

-It's my car, I want songs in my car where I want to listen to them, not required to be on a mobile USB stick I can use for other things.....than just my car.
-Why should I buy a new USB stick/HDD just so I can keep it plugged into my car all the time .....when I paid $2k for a system with NAV, touch screen, HDD, etc. etc.?
-It's the year 2013....where mobile USB HDDs the size of TBs are offered to the public, voice recognition and AI are ever increasing, yadda yadda.....but I can't have a head unit with an HDD that knows how to store my mp3s on its software yet it knows how to play them and display their file information???

2k3Mach

Established Member
I love it when people turn questions around like this. Here are a few replies:

-It's my car, I want songs in my car where I want to listen to them, not required to be on a mobile USB stick I can use for other things.....than just my car.
-Why should I buy a new USB stick/HDD just so I can keep it plugged into my car all the time .....when I paid $2k for a system with NAV, touch screen, HDD, etc. etc.?
-It's the year 2013....where mobile USB HDDs the size of TBs are offered to the public, voice recognition and AI are ever increasing, yadda yadda.....but I can't have a head unit with an HDD that knows how to store my mp3s on its software yet it knows how to play them and display their file information???

Maybe ford is more worried about performance than the prettiness of being able to upload pictures? There is an options to buy a $10 or so cable off amazon which allows you to plug a secondary device in and listen from that device. The device is removable, allows you to do pretty much most of what you're complaining about, and is very cheap (you can buy portable usb powered hdd's for next to nothing now). Point is nothing is perfect for everyone! I'd just as well be able to decide my music when I want to in the comfort of my air conditioned house, so I do not want to have to place a cd in to "upload" the songs - much easier to do on laptop with mp3's from my server!!!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
So I'm the one complaining because my $60k car with a $2300 option can't upload songs to an already available HDD, whereas other cars have been doing it for 5+ years. :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

My apologies for being concerned with anything other than how fast the car goes and how it handles.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ford Sync / Jukebox / MP3 / USB / CD / DVD - SHOForum

There's the answer to my own question. Only 10GB HDD space for "Jukebox", and it can only hold songs ripped from real CDs. Pointless feature. Well, at least it looks prettier with the touch screen and NAV map.
. Don't really understand your complaint. I have SOME 4000 songs on a USB stick that just stays plugged in the car. Better than a hard drive because if I get tired of them I can swap them out with minimal fuss. And with voice command I can play what I want when I want.

VaporDude

Established Member
Ford Sync / Jukebox / MP3 / USB / CD / DVD - SHOForum

There's the answer to my own question. Only 10GB HDD space for "Jukebox", and it can only hold songs ripped from real CDs. Pointless feature. Well, at least it looks prettier with the touch screen and NAV map.

I think this has to do with the copyright laws. I guess Ford figures that if you have the original CD that you have purchased it thus no copyright law infringments. This is just a guess so don't flame me.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Concerning the add-on hard drive in or above the glove box, I wonder how they handle the lack of or limited airflow. Has anyone heard of any heat related failures?

Is the second USB port even on the Sync units with the NAV?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I understand the complaint but its not a big deal....i prefer a nice size ipod with tons of music, plug it and leave it...control it from the steering or screen....I have not bought a CD in years!

NAV units have a hidden second USB port behind the glove box...I saw a how to somewhere, pretty simple to put an adapter and leave a large capacity HD in the glove

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
NAV units have a hidden second USB port behind the glove box...I saw a how to somewhere, pretty simple to put an adapter and leave a large capacity HD in the glove

I referenced the source in one of my posts above, but I wasn't sure it would apply to cars with NAV, I was hoping someone would confirm.
Thanks

Colleton

Established Member
So I'm the one complaining because my $60k car with a $2300 option can't upload songs to an already available HDD, whereas other cars have been doing it for 5+ years. :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

My apologies for being concerned with anything other than how fast the car goes and how it handles.

I'd love to know which other cars have allowed users to upload digital content to the car's built-in HD for 5+ years? AFAIK, no mfg allows this due to security risks and copyright issues.

Buy a 500GB USB HD for ~$75 at BB, load it with your music, and plug it into the USB port. This is what I did with my '11 and it works like a champ. The HD is currently plugged into my wife's Fusion while I'm waiting on my '13.

Paul1138

Established Member
I understand the complaint but its not a big deal....i prefer a nice size ipod with tons of music, plug it and leave it...control it from the steering or screen....I have not bought a CD in years!

So, to connect an Ipod, you just use the USB/proprietary cable that comes with an Ipod or does the car come with a cable?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So, to connect an Ipod, you just use the USB/proprietary cable that comes with an Ipod or does the car come with a cable?

the port is in the center console behind the cup holders. Use the cable that came with your ipod, car does not come with one

Users who are viewing this thread