Question about weapons in a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogmush

Established Member
This came up in conversation at work today, and I relized I didn't know the answer. So I thought I'd ask here.

I carry a pistol (legaly) on a regular basis. When I get in my car, for both comfort's sake and for access I take it out of my holster and put it in the center console. I've been through a couple traffic stops like this, notifying the officer of the weapon, so far so good. My employer is OK with the weapon in my car, but draws the line with me carrying at work, so I leave the weapon in my locked car while am at work, (and sometimes my driveway at home). Car is always locked, and the alarm is always armed.

I have always said, and continue to think, if the car was to be stolen, when I informed law enforcment of the stolen car, I'd tell them that there was a loaded gun in the center console. (Hate to see a LEO shot with my gun after some tool stole my car). In that situation (Car stolen with gun in it) am I responsable for the firearm. I know there are laws about giving firearms to felons or minors (either of which could be car theives) but is locked in a car with an alarm considered doing my part to secure it. I'm in Florda as well.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
im all about the right to bare arms, but why the heck do u need to carry around a loaded weapon around with u. I've been in Tampa, its not that bad! and to bring it in a car and have it loaded, is a huge red flag in MA, I dont kno about FL. You need a whole classification and set of permits for that i believe. but asside from all this, if I was you I'd leave that gun locked up in a safe somewhere, and just take it out only when u intend to use it. And youre right about some tool ending up using it. Thats the first place car thieves look besides the trunk. they may just break just for ure goods in the trunk and glove compartment.

edit: unless ure a cop or Govt worker or something?

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I legally carry as well. My gun sits in my car 24/7. If my gun gets stolen its my fault. I Know this but take chances. I think its called negligence if someone steals it and shoots somebody. You can also prolly get sued big time by the victims family.

jshen

Established Member
First of all, the number one source of firearm thefts are from cars & trucks. Every thug out there knows law abiding people will lock guns in cars and not take them into businesses. Please do not keep a firearm in a parked car when you can legally take it with you and of course, in your house.

The fact that you keep one in locked car and it was stolen would not subject you criminal liability in this state.....

At this moment my carry firearm and backup are in locked box in this courthouse...

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
well imagine u caught this guy half way through stealing ure car, but wham, hes got ure loaded gun and u cant just deck the guy and steal his wallet. Granted the chances of this exact event happening are small, id still rather be able to duke it out with this terminator robbing scum bag! I have one of the best weapons in my car in my trunk at all times, its an old school tire iron. Whos gona mess with a pissed off italian with a tire iron... who needs guns

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In the State of Florida with your CCW you can leave your handgun in your car if you so desire. As Jeff stated, that is just laziness. There is no reason to leave a firearm in a car while parked at your home. Tampa has a high rate of auto burglaries. They dont take the car, they take the contents, and guns are high on their list.

I would agree with 03silversvt that a good attorney could make a case against you for negligence if that happened.

I am a Fed L.E.O. out of the Tampa field office and I have been to just about every shit hole in this area, I dont know why you feel the need to carry.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Never was a street LEO, but when I was a Corrections Officer, members of teams that required real world response times, such as TSU (Tactical Support Unit - prison version of SWAT) that can respond to complexes all around the state, and permanent escapee tracking team members, etc. get secure lockboxes with their weapons in their private vehicles, so they don't have to worry about checking them out of the armory everytime they're needed.

I assume that such a lockbox is available in your state. It gets bolted on to the frame of the car, and requires real work to break into if you don't have the key, so that your weapon cannot be used during the theft. The thief will have to get away first, find the box, and put in time to get the gun out.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I am a Fed L.E.O. out of the Tampa field office and I have been to just about every shit hole in this area, I dont know why you feel the need to carry.

If I am given the chance to protect my family and not be a victim, then ill take that chance.
Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it...

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Never was a street LEO, but when I was a Corrections Officer, members of teams that required real world response times, such as TSU (Tactical Support Unit - prison version of SWAT) that can respond to complexes all around the state, and permanent escapee tracking team members, etc. get secure lockboxes with their weapons in their private vehicles, so they don't have to worry about checking them out of the armory everytime they're needed.

I assume that such a lockbox is available in your state. It gets bolted on to the frame of the car, and requires real work to break into if you don't have the key, so that your weapon cannot be used during the theft. The thief will have to get away first, find the box, and put in time to get the gun out.

+1 a lock box welded to the frame sounds awesome... thats a perfect fix for the guys that need guns in their car.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

because he has the right too, I hope that's enough reason in these United States....

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
because he has the right too, I hope that's enough reason in these United States....

:rolleyes: I was asking if there was a specific reason, but thank you for your qualified answer.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
FordSVTFan said:
:rolleyes: I was asking if there was a specific reason, but thank you for your qualified answer.
One reason here!

Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it? I have never heard too many murders stopped by LEOs presence. Carry is the law, why would you have to question his right to obey the law? Isn't that what we want?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
DaleM said:
One reason here!

Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it? I have never heard too many murders stopped by LEOs presence. Carry is the law, why would you have to question his right to obey the law? Isn't that what we want?

Again, I was asking if there was a specific reason? There is no law mandating that anyone carry a firearm.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
FordSVTFan said:
Again, I was asking if there was a specific reason? There is no law mandating that anyone carry a firearm.
Right on red is not mandated either, try that during traffic. There is a law allowing to carry. I think the answer to carry would be self-evident. I was wrong.
The lack of responsibilty securing it would seem a bigger concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
DaleM said:
Right on red is not mandated either, try that during traffic.

No it isnt, and there are people who choose not to turn right on red even though it is permitted.

When a person turns 18 he/she can legally purchase cigarettes and smoke. Does that mean that every 18 year old wants to do that? No, it doesnt. Therefore, there is usually a specific reason.

The same thing goes for alcohol at age 21. Most people will immediately go out an get a drink, but they dont drink all the time. It is a right they choose to take advantage of based on their specific reasons, not simply because they can.

Typically most people who get a CCW as soon as they are allowed to, is because they want to experience it and show that they can. Yet, most people who carry every day, do so for a specific reason usually related to some negative experience they have had.

DaleM said:
There is a law allowing to carry. I think the answer to carry would be self-evident. I was wrong.

It isnt self-evident, because most people have specific reasons for carrying. Before I was a L.E.O., I had a CCW because I collected rent in cash in a crappy neighborhood and was threatened. But other than that, I rarely carried.

DaleM said:
The lack of responsibilty securing it would seem a bigger concern.

Indeed it would. More of a problem is lack of training and firearm education. In most states you can get a CCW by taking a 3 hour course, that includes shooting two paper targets adequately.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
FordSVTFan said:
No it isnt, and there are people who choose not to turn right on red even though it is permitted. .
Is that the norm? Yes, it is a rhetorical question.
FordSVTFan said:
When a person turns 18 he/she can legally purchase cigarettes and smoke. Does that mean that every 18 year old wants to do that? No, it doesnt. Therefore, there is usually a specific reason. .
And what training is required to smoke? I mean this is of course not (NOT) guaranteed in the Constitution. Do you question everyone that decides to smoke on SVTP? (undisputedly kills much more thann guns).
FordSVTFan said:
The same thing goes for alcohol at age 21. Most people will immediately go out an get a drink, but they dont drink all the time. It is a right they choose to take advantage of based on their specific reasons, not simply because they can. .
And what training is required to drink? I mean this is of course not (NOT) guaranteed in the Constitution. Do you question everyone that decides to drink on SVTP? (kills way more than guns).
FordSVTFan said:
Typically most people who get a CCW as soon as they are allowed to, is because they want to experience it and show that they can. Yet, most people who carry every day, do so for a specific reason usually related to some negative experience they have had..
A Constitutional right is questioned? That reason is self evident (to me), for personal protection. Is that not reason enough? If he was just showing off I suspect he'd have quit carrying by now. Self protection is a logical reason to carry is't it?
FordSVTFan said:
It isnt self-evident, because most people have specific reasons for carrying. Before I was a L.E.O., I had a CCW because I collected rent in cash in a crappy neighborhood and was threatened. But other than that, I rarely carried..
That reason is self evident (to me), for personal protection. Is that not reason enough?
FordSVTFan said:
Indeed it would. More of a problem is lack of training and firearm education. In most states you can get a CCW by taking a 3 hour course, that includes shooting two paper targets adequately.
Is there another reason for your concern Adam? As an LEO do you can carry 24/7? I think you have an altruistic view of LEO's ability to protect our citizenry and see us as irresponsible? Or do you see every citizen carrying a gu as the threat to your security? That is a bit selfish and I hope that is not the real reason behind your angst. I see you arguing this till you are blue in the face. Much like religion we will have to part ways on this one and I am taking my gun off my hip now because I am drinking Chechloslovakian beer (pivo).

Last edited by a moderator:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
DaleM said:
Is that the norm? Yes, it is a rhetorical question.

I dont know, havent studied that :D
DaleM said:
And what training is required to smoke? I mean this is of course not (NOT) guaranteed in the Constitution. Do you question everyone that decides to smoke on SVTP? (undisputedly kills much more thann guns).
And what training is required to drink? I mean this is of course not (NOT) guaranteed in the Constitution. Do you question everyone that decides to drink on SVTP? (kills way more than guns).

To some extent it is guaranteed by the United States Constitution under the right to Liberty. Regardless of that, someone smoking or drinking will not lead to the immediate death of another.

DaleM said:
A Constitutional right is questioned? That reason is self evident (to me), for personal protection. Is that not reason enough? If he was just showing off I suspect he'd have quit carrying by now. Self protection is a logical reason to carry is't it?
That reason is self evident (to me), for personal protection. Is that not reason enough?

First off, the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment does not afford a right to carry a firearm for personal protection. That right is left to each state to grant through the 10th amendment. The current interpretation of the 2nd amendment by the United States Supreme Court is that the Second Amendment does not establish an individual right to own or possess firearms for personal or other use (SILVEIRA V. LOCKYER 2002) Second, nowhere in the 2nd amendment does it mention personal protection.

DaleM said:
Is there another reason for your concern Adam?

Indeed, untrained people carrying a firearm are a danger to the public.

DaleM said:
As an LEO do you can carry 24/7?

I am required to, whenever possible. I often choose not to.

DaleM said:
I think you have an altruistic view of LEO's ability to protect our citizenry and see us as irresponsible? Or do you see every citizen carrying a gu as the threat to your security?

No not at all. I would prefer those who decide to carry a concealed weapon, do so lawfully and being fully trained to do such. The same way I prefer those who decide to drive a tractor trailer, do so lawfully and being fully trained to do such. In the same vein that I do not think every person can successfully drive a tractor trailer, I hold that same view that not everyone can responsibly carry a concealed weapon.

DaleM said:
That is a bit selfish and I hope that is not the real reason behind your angst. I see you arguing this till you are blue in the face. Much like religion we will have to part ways on this one and I am taking my gun off my hip now because I am drinking Chechloslovakian beer (pivo).

Oh there is no argument, I was simply asking the person who posted what his specific reason for carrying in Tampa was. I live here and work here and was wondering what his specific reason was. Was there a threat on his life. Does he deal with large sums of cash in bad neighborhoods. It was as simple as that.

txyaloo

Established Member
Common said:
Adam is wrong, you need to be 19 to buy cigarettes.

In most states you can buy cigarettes at 18. You in Alabama, Alaska, New Jersey, Utah, and or parts of New York?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Common said:
Adam is wrong, you need to be 19 to buy cigarettes.

I was referencing Florida, as that is where is the CCW poster is located. The age in Florida is 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread