Question About Wiring Pigtails?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Does Ford or any auto part store sell just the pigtails for wiring? Has anyone ever heard of an IC pump burning up (I know they are prone to failing, but usually they done go up in a cloud of smoke, right)? Any ideas where I can get a new pigtail for the IC pump?

I was running an few errands tonight and as I sat at a red light I could smell burning plastic coming in through the vents. A few seconds later I noticed smoke coming from under the hood and I checked my passenger side mirror and saw more smoke. I immediately pulled of on the side street. I assumed my FAL controller crapped out, but it checked out good. Unable to find the problem I began to ease her home to check it out more thoroughly. As I drove I noticed the charge temp was climbing rapidly, so I knew I had a problem with the IC pump or IC pump wiring.

Once I was able to get underneath the truck I found the pigtail for the IC pump charred, so I need a new pigtail and most likely a new pump as well. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did the pump burn up causing damage to the pigtail, or did the pigtail fail damaging the connection on the pump? Any input is greatly appreciated.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I found a new pig tail but unlike the original, both wires on the new one are black in color so I have no idea which one to wire up to the white (power) wire coming from the wiring harness :shrug:. I'm guessing if its wired up backwards the motor will flow in reverse. I've been searching to find a pic but haven't found one yet.

Can anybody post a pic of their IC pump electrical connector so I can see which wire is which? You may have to slide the wire loom back slightly so I can see the color of the wire sheaths.

TIA

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Black wire goes towards the front of the truck and the white goes to the rear. It will only fit on the pump one way so you can't mess it up.

Users who are viewing this thread