Question for avid runners

Last

Established Member
My best advice? Don't run on concrete, when you run your footsteps should be damn near silent, stretch before and after, and hydrate.

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Yea that's true. I have 2 pairs of running shoes to alternate with and one pair for the gym.

Which I also recommend. If you buy a shoe to run in, only use it for running.

That's what I do, I rotate three pairs for training and two for racing, and they're only for running. I use my worn out running shoes for walking around, cutting the grass, etc.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Ehh, in my opinion this will turn into the eventual waste of $200-300. The only reason a running store offers this service is to con you into buying overpriced shoes. You dont need $150+ shoes to run in an effective and safe manner. Go to the a normal shoe store and try on a few pair of different shoes. Pick the most lightest, most comfortable ones that seem to work and go for a few runs. If they work well, you've identified the type of shoe that works for you. If they dont, some stores have a return/exchange policy that will let you switch out shoes.

Im your size 5'10 220lbs (Im in a rest phase and have ballooned in weight - but will be ramping up distance to train for a marathon in October) and have run 1 marathon, numerous 1/2 marathons, a bunch of 15Ks, 10 milers, and countless 5ks. normally, I put in 100-125 miles a month and even more if Im training. Occasional pains are part of the price you pay for putting in decent distance. But good rest and sleep, heavy hydration, good intake of nutrients and knowing when to take a break for a few days goes a long way in preventing longterm injury. Knock on wood, so far all my major compnonents are in one piece.

There are many types of stores and many types of shoes out there. I was fitted for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes that were priced the same as anywhere else -- $100.

Worst case scenario you can get fitted and then order online if you think you can save a few bucks.

Couldn't agree more on the 2nd half of that post. Nurition, rest and water are a runner's best friend.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Get a pair of running shoes. I would recommend NB Minimus. Sounds like you have shin splints, and they can potentially be very painful.

Stretch your calves before and after a run. Get in pushup position, cross your legs behind you (for each calf), and A-frame until you get a good stretch in both calves. Helps tremendously for the shin splints.

+! i have used the mimimus for a while now and i prolly won't get any other shoes, they feel so great while running.

also you can go to sealswcc.com website, there are some videos on how to properly stretch for your runs to prevent ITB and other running injuries. i know you're not trying for specwar but still lot of good info on different stretches in case you get bored. best of luck:coolman:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Avid runner here...I agree it sounds like shin splints. Suggest ice them each night and get off the concrete when you are running.
as for the shoes, the NB minimums are what I wear and they are a fantastic shoe. I think all this technology in shoes is what is causing most running injuries today. If you ever want to see a true natural running form, watch a wrong child running barefoot through the grass. Slowly work your way to a minimal style shoe. You will begin to feel better and pain will go away if you have good form...this is just my opionion, I am not a Dr. Just want I have experienced over my 20+ years of competative running.

Another main factor in running injuries is the too much, too fast, too soon! Follow the 10%, this means to only increase your weekly mileage by around 10% each week. It takes time to get up to longer distances but it will keep you from getting "overuse" injuries. The Internet is full of information but two books that are great are "Run Less, Run Faster" and "Born To Run"

Users who are viewing this thread