Question for Engineers!

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
How many of you have taken the FE? I took it once last year on a whim without studying (I had many setbacks and it was too late to back out) and that was by far the hardest test I've ever taken. Needless to say, I didn't pass.

So its that time again and I need to decide today whether or not I want to take the exam again in October.

Would you consider the exam necessary if I'm not sure about continuing on to the PE?

Would not having passed the FE effect any potential job opportunities? I just feel like I'd be throwing away another $150 if I don't pass again......

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm Mechanical Engineering

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
I assume you're referring to the EIT exam. Yes, taking and passing it was a requirement for graduation where I went to school.

If you're not seriously considering pursuing your PE, I wouldn't bother.

96dreamer

Established Member
I graduated in june and have been working since june after failing my FE miserably, drinking the night before probably didn't help. I was required to take it to graduate but wasn't required to pass. Unless you're civil or arche i dont think its as big of a deal as most make it out to be. I got over not passing it after my first paycheck.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Depends on which engineering you are in and what you expect to do during your career on whether it is important. In most cases I would say no.

I took it just for the challenge, but it has never been important to my career. I suppose it is just another thing to have on your resume but I've never been asked nor comments made about it during interviews... experience is much more important.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I've passed the FE/EIT exam in Maryland. I took it during my last semester at UMD.

Biggest suggestion I can make is to know where stuff is (and/or how to find it) in the study guide they provide you, the giant equation book. Other than that, know your basic math and how to interpolate data from charts (thermo, etc). Also, the second part where you have to choose if you want to take, say, Mechanical or Electrical engineering, the General one is much easier and it doesn't matter.

Other note: my good friend didn't pass it because he was highly distracted by his new girlfriend at the time.

Remember, unless your job has you working with a PE, the only thing passing this exam will do is maybe help you land a job. I'm DoD, so where I am I get no credit towards being able to take the PE exam. :(

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
I assume you're referring to the EIT exam. Yes, taking and passing it was a requirement for graduation where I went to school.

If you're not seriously considering pursuing your PE, I wouldn't bother.

I know it's not a requirement so that's good news for me. And at this point I'm not really considering going after the PE.

I graduated in june and have been working since june after failing my FE miserably, drinking the night before probably didn't help. I was required to take it to graduate but wasn't required to pass. Unless you're civil or arche i dont think its as big of a deal as most make it out to be. I got over not passing it after my first paycheck.

Haha! I can see myself doing the exact same thing!

Depends on which engineering you are in and what you expect to do during your career on whether it is important. In most cases I would say no.

I took it just for the challenge, but it has never been important to my career. I suppose it is just another thing to have on your resume but I've never been asked nor comments made about it during interviews... experience is much more important.

Ya, I just don't think it's worth an extra $150 for another bullet point on the resume

What career path and industry are you in?

Sorry, should of mentioned that. I'm Mechanical

I've passed the FE/EIT exam in Maryland. I took it during my last semester at UMD.

Biggest suggestion I can make is to know where stuff is (and/or how to find it) in the study guide they provide you, the giant equation book. Other than that, know your basic math and how to interpolate data from charts (thermo, etc). Also, the second part where you have to choose if you want to take, say, Mechanical or Electrical engineering, the General one is much easier and it doesn't matter.

Other note: my good friend didn't pass it because he was highly distracted by his new girlfriend at the time.

Remember, unless your job has you working with a PE, the only thing passing this exam will do is maybe help you land a job. I'm DoD, so where I am I get no credit towards being able to take the PE exam. :(

This is def a big one for me. Some of the charts, especially thermo, killed me along with not being able to locate stuff fast enough.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm an ME in Oil&Gas and I never needed it. Doing pretty well. Some industries favor it more than others.

jblood37

Established Member
Unless you are a civil engineer, which you aren't, I don't think that it matters much. May make you slightly more valuable on a resume.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Took and passed the FE. I've heard the PE is 100 times harder. Haven't taken the PE yet, and probably never will. My field doesn't require it.

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
After talking to friends at work and school it seems that it's just a nice cushion for the resume if I don't plan on taking the PE.

Thanks for all the replies!

03Steve

Established Member
I'm electrical/controls in the industrial manufacturing equipment end. No one cares about a PE/FE cert when production stops or a deadline is approaching.

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Took and passed the FE. I've heard the PE is 100 times harder. Haven't taken the PE yet, and probably never will. My field doesn't require it.

When I took the FE last year there were people walking past me with red wagons stacked 6 feet high with reference material! I can't imagine taking a test where even half of that might be needed!

Coiled03

Established Member

It's harder because you haven't been studying and using the material the last 4 years. You have to wait until you're out of school I believe it's 7 years before you can take the exam.

That's why, if you want to take the PE, you NEED to take the refresher courses that are offered.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
If you want to take it, here's what I used to help study: FE/EIT Exam Cafe | Online FE/EIT Practice Problems and Exams It's like 25$ for a ton of test questions to practice on.

Spread studying out over a few weeks, refresh yourself on two or three topics a day.

You are not pigeon holed into taking the Mechanical Engineering Afternoon session, take General Engineering, unless you want the challenge.

MTBSully

Established Member
I am a mechanical engineer that graduated May of this year. I had a job in March and to be honest hadn't even heard of the test until my buddy who is a civil told me about it. Some industries don't need it (mechanical) as much as others (civil).

At least in my experience.

99cobradave

Established Member
Take it now while you are fresh. FE exams are designed for the fresh out of school, and PE exams are designed for seasoned engineers.

My advice is take it again and pass that baby. You'll never know if you'll need it in your career or not, so just do it.

Think of it another way. On an interview, say the hiring manager asks you if you took the FE. I always ask that question. Always. Whether the career requires the FE/PE or not, taking it shows dedication to the field and all things being equal, I'll choose the engineer who passed this test over one who didn't.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Never bothered with it after graduation b/c I knew I was heading straight into the construction side of the business. The few people I know that did follow through and get their PE don't need and/or use it.

If you plan on taking the EIT or whatever it's call now, take it sooner rather than later.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I'm an ME in Oil&Gas and I never needed it. Doing pretty well. Some industries favor it more than others.

Same here. As far as I know I'm the only ME in my department and only EIT. None of the Chem or petroleum engineers took theirs.

I only took it because it was pretty much part of the curriculum at my school, every ME took it and pass rate was like 98%. My studying consisted of flipping through the equations book for about 15 minutes the night before and then going out to the bars. I passed but I'm sure it was just barely. Took the mechanical afternoon test.

Users who are viewing this thread