Question for GT500 Owners with Mods - I'm having issues

CopperSMD

Established Member
First, hello! This is my first post to this forum. I took delivery of a 2020 GT500 no carbon pack last month. I have 400 miles or so on it. I have an excellent mechanic that works on all my cars (American anyway). He installed a JLT CAI, Put on a mild 2.85 pulley (14lbs boost vs. factory 12), larger injectors (ID 1050X if I remember correctly) and a Palm Beach Custom Tune. Stock the car makes peak HP at 7,300ish RPM and peak Torque at 5K RPM and I loved it. I had a 2017 GT350 before the GT500 and loved it but hated it for street driving since you had to rev the snot out of it to get it to hit peak power. All the work was done, mapped it 4 times to send to PBT and got the car back this week. The power and torque at the low end is now flat, until you get over 6K and into 8K which they told me 8K is where peak power is now and they bumped the limiter about 400 RPM. It goes like stink at the top end but all the bottom is gone. No more punch. We have emails and calls in with PBT but I think with the holiday weekend last week a lot of people are on vacation so they have not responded just yet. I don't want more power for the sake of saying "I have a 900HP car" to impress anyone. I could care less. I want it to drive well and feel strong at lower speeds.

Anyway, I'm not happy with the way the car turned out and am considering going back to stock with the exception of the CAI since Ford uses a MAP on this car and will adjust with the added airflow. Stock, at say 2,500 rpm it would push hard and I loved it. Now you have to rev it hard in manual mode before it goes and at that point you are doing 80+ MPH which is not usable around town.

Anyone with mods similar to mine have thoughts on this? Do you think PBT can change the tune to put the power down closer to the stock settings or it is impossible to do with the mods? Anyone noticing the same thing or is there something wrong here? Thanks!

Attachments

• GT500.jpg
    GT500.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 187

MG0h3

Established Member
Something doesn’t sound right.

Are you making the appropriate amount of boost vs rpm?

Maybe they sent the wrong tune file that doesn’t have timing added in.

After you verify correct boost I’d expect it to be an error in the tune

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ask PBD what cai they are using. Are they using a JLT as well or a PMAS?
PDB is one of the top tuners with these cars, so they should be able to get you all figured out. Good luck and keep us posted.

CopperSMD

Established Member
They used JLT CAI as well. I just heard back from them. They also said something must be wrong. Want us to send the latest map after I drove it hard today so they can check to see what is going on. Yes, we turned on the boost gauge on the screen and it is making about 15 at even the lower RPMs so I'm not sure why that isn't translating to power. We are sending them the latest file in the morning and hopefully they can get it worked out I'd like to keep the stuff I had installed.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Sounds like they backed the timing off in the midrange to absolutely avoid popping your motor.

John24

Established Member
Are you still tuned on 93, because that might be your issue? I have a jlt intake, 2.65 pulley, heat exchanger, id 1100 injectors, and I’m tuned on e85. My car pulls like a freight train at all speeds, so something is probably up with your tune or timing. Unless your still on 93, then that might be your issue.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I was also going to suggest a " local " hands on tuner.
You have too much money invested in you car to be using a tweeked " canned " tune..

John24

Established Member
You might be limited with 93 honestly, but I 100% suggest getting it into a reputable shop instead of a canned tune as well. Let us know how it goes.

CopperSMD

Established Member
Update: PBT got back with us on the map file we sent after driving it hard and said it is only pushing 15 psi at all rpm ranges and should be more like 20 psi. Also the flat low end is an issue for sure. They don't know what is wrong but it's not the tune, something mechanical. My mechanic also works for the local Ford dealership and has run all the tests without any faults. No leaks anywhere, possibly the bypass valve is stuck open. It's going to take some digging to figure it out but at least PBT confirmed it is not the tune. Its a head scratcher for sure. Also, once he figures out the root cause, I did find a local Racetrac gas station that sells E85 so I'm going to switch to that as well.

My94GT

Established Member
I would go with the local tuner vs doing this remotely as it still sounds like the problem may be tune related. It’ll be a long winded guessing game with out someone there in person

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
If this was me, I would consider reverting back to all stock and trying it. If it runs perfect, then you can rest a lot easier knowing you haven't ruined anything mechanical.

Seems like you're getting lots of different answers right now, and there's "too many cooks in the kitchen" with regards to the mods and tune IMHO.

Good luck. Don't ruin it!

-

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I second going back to stock. If you go back to stock and still have issues it mechanical, if you don't have issues it was most likely tune related

CopperSMD

Established Member
I'm going to take it to a local tuner I know and get a dyno tune. If the car drives the same and they say this is just what the mods change, I'll go back to stock.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'm going to take it to a local tuner I know and get a dyno tune. If the car drives the same and they say this is just what the mods change, I'll go back to stock.

On 93, go back to stock and your wallet will thank you.

CopperSMD

Established Member
UPDATE: Fixed! The PBT was reloaded and a crank shaft neutral profile correction relearn was performed, drove it around for about 10 miles and everything is great now. It pulls at the low end now and it so much faster. I just filled with 93 since it was on empty, when I get down to almost zero tank, I'll switch to E85 next. This car was amazing stock and now with just a few mods its really unbelievable how much more power is on tap. At some point I'll take it to a local tuner and get a custom tune but for now it's great for me!

Users who are viewing this thread