Question for Mechanical Engineers

aaandht

Established Member
I'm graduating with my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in the spring and need some advice. Quite a few of my classmates are going to take the FE exam after graduation, and I'm sort of feeling peer pressured into it. I always thought of the FE exam(and PE exam) as something Civil engineers or Mechanical Engineers looking to get into structural engineering would take. Have any ME's on here taken their FE exam, is it worth it? I know any little edge helps, but I would like to hear some opinions.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Take it while you still remember anything. I've never heard of it being a structural affiliation (we are talking Fundamentals of Engineering right), and there are many in the oil field with their PE licenses. It's always a good thing to have.

aaandht

Established Member
It's probably because I meet very few ME's with their PE. And I have always considered the FE the stepping stone to a PE.

Formula51

Established Member
The FE is a stepping stone, requirement, for the PE. You are correct that in most cases an ME does not need a PE. The exception might be working for a small company. At the larger engineering firms, most ME's do not have a PE and the one's who do never stamp anything. Structural basically requires a PE and they stamp many drawings and calculations.

All that said, take the FE now while you remember everything and it is easy. This is what I did and passed the first try with very minimal studying. If you ever want to get your PE, then atleast you are all setup to study your arse off and try to pass the test. The PE can get you a raise, help get you hired, or look good for a promotion (even if you never use it).

2010 Red&white

Established Member
Take the FE while the info is still floating around in your head. It is better to take the exam now and not need it vs not taking the exam and needing it later ! The FE portion is the part #1 of the PE. The second part is after (4) years of experience in our state.
I tell all the young Engineers to take it in my business.

BlownAway05

Established Member
Definitely take it, and take it now while you remember all the general engineering stuff. My brother is a Mechanical Engineer, and he took the FE right after he graduated, and is now a PE and signs both mechanical and electrical documents.

I took my FE while I was still in college (required to take it to graduate, but not required to pass - I am a Civil Engineer). Fortunately, I passed it the first time. I couldn't imagine having to take it now, and trying to recall all the Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical, and basic engineering stuff that I haven't dealt with in quite awhile. I just finished my PE exam a week ago, looking forward to getting my PE license, it's definitely a nice goal for any engineer to obtain.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
What industry to do want to work in? Construction/civil/structural engineers are the only ones that its really useful for.

For most other industries its a total waste of time. And you will be lucky to even find a registered P.E. to get a apprentenchip under. Taking the test does nothing if you don't get the 4 or 5 year appenticeship. Hell most of the professors that teach mechanical engineering don't even have a license. And i know plenty of PhDs, in the industry that don't have them and could care less.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
What industry to do want to work in? Construction/civil/structural engineers are the only ones that its really useful for.

For most other industries its a total waste of time. And you will be lucky to even find a registered P.E. to get a apprentenchip under. Taking the test does nothing if you don't get the 4 or 5 year appenticeship. Hell most of the professors that teach mechanical engineering don't even have a license. And i know plenty of PhDs, in the industry that don't have them and could care less.

If you work at a big company there are usually plenty of PE's that can be used for your approval to take the test. I agree a PE is not usually needed though.

PressurEngr

Established Member
The industry is very competitive and you would be crazy not to get your FE and PE. It has nothing to do with signing drawings since most P.E.'s do not sign drawings.
BUT your billable hours as a consultant/designer is over double a ME without a P.E. hence you are a much more valuable asset to your company.

Users who are viewing this thread