Question for Mechanics

Intruder

Established Member
The Ford Shop is telling me it will take 3 hours to replace the rear shocks/springs on my GT500 and 2 hours for the front struts/springs. Stock - KR suspension.

Then a wheel alignment on top of that.

Does that sound reasonable or am I getting taken advantage of?

I'd do it myself but lack the tools and time. Admittedly don't know much about the front, but 3 hours for the rear?

Alloy Snake

Established Member
I installed the FRPP suspension which was shocks,springs,struts,and Swaybars with mounts in 2.5 hours.But at a dealership retail work is double actual tech time in some situations.Ask them to show you the times on Mitchell.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
The Ford Shop is telling me it will take 3 hours to replace the rear shocks/springs on my GT500 and 2 hours for the front struts/springs. Stock - KR suspension.

Then a wheel alignment on top of that.

Does that sound reasonable or am I getting taken advantage of?

I'd do it myself but lack the tools and time. Admittedly don't know much about the front, but 3 hours for the rear?

I dont know how different the older model shelbys are compared to the 2010's but it took me only 15 minutes to install my rear springs...and the shocks look they take the same amount of time...The fronts could possibly take up to 2 hrs but that is pushing it!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I changed a distributor on my '95 GT, which I had never done before, screwed up the timing, fixed it and was up and running again in 1.5hrs. The Ford place wanted 2hrs. That's how it works, so yes you are getting taken, like everyone else.

I think a good rule of thumb is their book tells them to charge double what it really takes, and that's conservative.

Last edited:

1930ford

Established Member
Does the rear labor include time to install an adjustable panhard and center the axle after lowering ?

wildride02gt

Established Member
I hate to say it, but that sounds about right by the book. The rear will have to re-aligned, and that is probably why it calls for 3 hrs. The front could take 2 hrs., plus the alignment. The book calls for how long it would take the slowest, dumbest tech to do the work, that's why it always quotes what seems like unreasonably long hours.

6-Speed

Established Member
Rear springs/shocks are much easier to install than the fronts ... 3 hours to me is excessive. BTW I'm not a mechanic, but I do my own wrenching.

Last edited:

Leonard 95

Established Member
Looking at our labor menu at the ford dealership, the rear springs/shocks together pay like 2.5, I think there should be some overlapping labor there so it should be less. The shocks take like 5-10 minutes to do, rear springs another 10 mintues, super easy. Front struts/shocks pay 2.2 labor, I can do these in 20 minutes easy. Also, alignment is a must, so technically by the book they are close.

Red10thcv

Established Member
Rear springs/shocks are much easier to install than the fronts ... 3 hours to me is excessive. BTW I'm not a mechanic, but I do my own wrenching.

If you buy some simple Craftsman tools from Sears, they will pay for themselves in a really short amount of time.
Also, look at the GT500 How to Section first when thinking about a mod.
:burnout:GT500: Enjoy the Ride:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread