Question for Ngage mounting for 07-09 guys and MGW Knob feedback

PM-Performance

Established Member
2 part question:

1. I am mounting my Ngage into my driver vent. It just barely sits in there, so I am looking for ideas to get it more snug so it doesnt fly on launches. Are you guys just running double sided tape around the outer mount and massaging it in there and then snapping the gauge in? Or doing something else?
Worth wild to stuff anything in the vent to keep air from messing with the gauge?

2. I have an MGW gen2 I am installing. I think I want to go with the gripper just to make sure there is little to no chance of slipping off the thing in hard shifts in the sweaty summer.
I think I want to go with the cylindrical over the spherical for a possible easier shift, but concerned it may be pretty high.
Also can you do the full stainless for the weight in the cylindrical? Or is that only for the spherical?

Feedback from people maybe that tried both?

Harry08

Established Member
For your guage installation are you using a Roush vent pod to put the guage in or just inserting the guage into the vent opening?

PM-Performance

Established Member
For your guage installation are you using a Roush vent pod to put the guage in or just inserting the guage into the vent opening?
I was just putting it in the vent alone. Any of the pics of the Roush pod I saw were all smaller gauges.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have a vent pod, but I'm using the Speed of Sound 3 gauge pod on the A pillar. My Aeroforce gauges were fairly loose and what I did was wrap some electrical tape around the gauge where it would be thicker around for a snugger hold. Not sure how much thicker you need, but you can fill a pretty good void doing that. I would never give up my A/C vent FWIW. You may be in a cooler climate.

On the MGW question, I have the gripper and it does seem a bit too high with the longer shaft, but I also have washers under the boot that can be removed. That's just the way it looks. I don't have any driving time with it. If it is, I also have the shorter shaft to try. I'd probably use it before removing any of my washers. The washer helps fill out the top of the boot under the shifter.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I am not putting in a gauge pod that sticks out anywhere. I purposely with with this so I didnt need to have gauges all over. I wanted all in one in a mounted out of the way place I could see.
I can try some electrical tape, but I was looking for people that mounted here to see what they did besides the common stuff.

You have the cylindrical gripper?

Islandcat

Established Member
I have an 09 and I set my nguage up in the vent you are talking about. Put electrical tape and it fits snug now for over two years. I kinda wish I would have put it in left center vent cause of the glare on passenger window at night. Besides that it looks pretty good where it is, the only thing is I couldn’t fit the trim ring over it so it doesn’t look as clean as I would like.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You have the cylindrical gripper?
No, ball. I have an older version of the race knob they no longer produce, which is somewhat shaped like the cylindrical. Because of the pedestal on the ball version, I'm not sure it's a whole lot shorter. The photos on their website make it look shorter than it is. Let me know, I can get a better mounted side shot if it helps.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I have an 09 and I set my nguage up in the vent you are talking about. Put electrical tape and it fits snug now for over two years. I kinda wish I would have put it in left center vent cause of the glare on passenger window at night. Besides that it looks pretty good where it is, the only thing is I couldn’t fit the trim ring over it so it doesn’t look as clean as I would like.

So the glare is more an issue at night? I thought when everyone complained about glare it was in daylight.
Hmm maybe I’ll try that other spot then. I figured if the trim ring doesn’t fit it would be better out of the way instead of in plain sight.

Dinosgt

Established Member
My Ngauge is mounted in the same spot on my 14. Used electrical tape around outer circumference of gauge to snug it up a bit. Been that way for several years - no issues.

In fairness my car is garaged most of the time so I don’t know how high heat from sitting in car baking in sun might affect the tape.

Only gripe is the Ngauge washes out in sunlight. Wish we could get more brightness out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PM-Performance

Established Member
2 rungs of electrical tape was enough. I was thinking it wouldnt be, but I tend to overthink sometimes. Yea i see about the washout now and the car is even in the garage. lol. I may need to angle it.

Now I just gotta figure out which shift knob I wanna go with

Islandcat

Established Member
I wouldn’t say it’s an issue for me at night. My gf bitches about it though when she drives it. But women bitch about everything so........

And yea in daylight sometimes it’s hard to see, but it’s not too often that happens to me.

Just on some hot summer days I wish I had that vent blowing on me and the center left one blocked. It’s no big deal but sometimes I wonder if it would have been better in the other vent.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I wouldn’t say it’s an issue for me at night. My gf bitches about it though when she drives it. But women bitch about everything so........

And yea in daylight sometimes it’s hard to see, but it’s not too often that happens to me.

Just on some hot summer days I wish I had that vent blowing on me and the center left one blocked. It’s no big deal but sometimes I wonder if it would have been better in the other vent.
I cant say I have ever had the upper vents on me at any time. I hate direct air on me in cars. Shit my other Mustang doesnt even have AC. lol

Islandcat

Established Member
Lol thats good then just put it in whatever one you like, but it should be sble to be made to fit with electrical tape in any of the vents.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Lol thats good then just put it in whatever one you like, but it should be sble to be made to fit with electrical tape in any of the vents.
I did end up running 2 rungs of elec tape in there and fits nice and snug. Im gonna try that location for a bit to see how I like it. Side note i did end up ordering the cylindrical MGW gripper. I couldnt find a single person running it, so I decided to go with my better judgement and try this one

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the cylindrical is fairly new, at least for the Mustang. I know it wasn't available when I ordered the spherical some time last summer.

PM-Performance

Established Member
well hopefully I like it. lol. I think i will though. I always liked more tear drop billet knobs in other cars, this one just looks wonky and more tall from the pictures they show. i called MGW and they said this one was 3" tall while the spherical was 2.75". So it may not be as drastic as the pics show.

scotp71

Established Member
I have the nguage mounted in the a/c vent with just a couple small pieces of double-sided 3m tape. I was a little concerned about condensation building up behind it during really hot days when the a/c was on, but I've never had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread