question for the 2011 owners..clutch ????

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
do you guys also feel like when power shifting it does not feel smooth. mine grinds a bit. not sure if its the clutch or just need a aftermarket shifter.. what shifter is everybody using????:beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
sorry, it is neither, it is the tranny itself

2010 and 11 have this issue

no tsb yet on it, some have taken it to Ford and had rebuilt, some with good luck some with horrible luck

the 07-09 cars have clutch problems and the 2010-11 have tranny problems

Ford needs to have much better quality control on their flagship 50k plus cars

chuckstang

Established Member
got ya.. i guess i will just beat on it and see what happens..lol..:banana:

There is a guy on teamshelby that had a list of internal parts replaced in his tranny and all was good. I would hold out until there is an official tsb or something. But def log it with Ford so its on there record (for warranty reasons down the road)

I hate how all the gt500s built have either had clutch or tranny problems or both like me :nonono:

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
I really believe its a pressure plate problem..after driving today and experimenting if I slam the clutch in very hard it shifts perfect. meaning harder than usual.lol..i am going to replace the pressure plate and see if that does the trick. These stock clutches are very soft anyway....i will keep you guys posted..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
sorry, it is neither, it is the tranny itself

2010 and 11 have this issue

no tsb yet on it, some have taken it to Ford and had rebuilt, some with good luck some with horrible luck

the 07-09 cars have clutch problems and the 2010-11 have tranny problems

Ford needs to have much better quality control on their flagship 50k plus cars

you forget ford didnt build the tranny, Tremec did, its there poor build quality.

chuckstang

Established Member
true true but Ford should put more pressure on them to fix it

Or offer an auto.

There are plenty of autos out there that will support 500+hp

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
A th400 or 4l80 would be a nice option from the factory

Yeah, Ford should put an out dated GM tranny in a 50k Mustang, especially one w/o overdrive lol. The Ford OD trans' can hold power too, maybe not the 5R55, but the 4R70/100 will.

I think it's a clutch problem too. These guys want super soft clutches, and sometimes there will be slight trade off's. Our 2010 felt like that sometimes with the stock clutch, in went the McLeod, and it shifted like butter.

Last edited:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
10k miles on my 09 with no problems but I always slam the Clutch to the floor on every shift on every manual vehicle I have ever owned... No powershifting...

Makes for slow shifting buy a happy clutch and syncros...

And I'll do the occasional double clutch on high rpm down shifting / rev matching but I always heel toe rev match on every down shift/ braking.....

I learned the hard way on an old AWD turbo Mitsubishi I had...

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
got ya.. i guess i will just beat on it and see what happens..lol..:banana:

How many miles do you have on this clutch? How many city miles did you put on it before you started "beating on it"?

As for Chuck's blanket statements, no, not "all" of the cars have clutch or transmission problems. Sometimes the "problem" is in the driver's seat... :poke:

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
How many miles do you have on this clutch? How many city miles did you put on it before you started "beating on it"?

As for Chuck's blanket statements, no, not "all" of the cars have clutch or transmission problems. Sometimes the "problem" is in the driver's seat... :poke:

Well I will start by saying it had 100 miles on it and if I can't power shift the car right off the show room floor there is a problem.:shrug: I have had many performance cars and never broke them in and they have always ran better than the average. I will do the same with this car. If it needs a clutch a clutch it will get. I have plans for this car and looks like I will start with a clutch and shifter first..:beer:

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Well I will start by saying it had 100 miles on it and if I can't power shift the car right off the show room floor there is a problem.:shrug: I have had many performance cars and never broke them in and they have always ran better than the average. I will do the same with this car. If it needs a clutch a clutch it will get. I have plans for this car and looks like I will start with a clutch and shifter first..:beer:

I've had quite a few performance cars myself. You won't go wrong giving a clutch a chance to break in properly and "seat". Same holds true for brakes. But not everyone agrees with that idea, which is fine. After reading about the "issues" on the earlier models, when I got my '08, I made sure I put several hundred true city miles (stop and go traffic) on it before I let it fly. That car, while it had that "stiff" feel, it shifted perfectly and I made around 65 1/4 mile passes with it and never had a "grind" problem. On my '10 I have done the same thing, I let it get some miles on it before I started hitting it hard.
You do seem to have a good attitude though, you sound like you'll beef it up where you think it needs it. :rockon:

chuckstang

Established Member

um ya and I guess that TSB and probably thousands of affected cars all have poor drivers?

This is not most owners first rodeo with a car like this and I am no different.

I think its combo of poor tranny quality with a poorly designed clutch and poorly trained techs to operate these tsbs! :idea:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
true true but Ford should put more pressure on them to fix it

Or offer an auto.

There are plenty of autos out there that will support 500+hp

chuck if you want an auto just have one built to handle the power. i would think getting one of the new 6speed autos from a new auto 5.0 an having it built would work well for you. also im sure ford has been trying to work with tremec but since all the new mustangs use the 6speeds im sure your gonna get some good ones an bads once since it mass production now

A th400 or 4l80 would be a nice option from the factory
no way, waste of money for a street car. sure if you want a Drag only car. but why waste the money when you could get a cobra jet C4 now that bolts right in.

Yeah, Ford should put an out dated GM tranny in a 50k Mustang, especially one w/o overdrive lol. The Ford OD trans' can hold power too, maybe not the 5R55, but the 4R70/100 will.

I think it's a clutch problem too. These guys want super soft clutches, and sometimes there will be slight trade off's. Our 2010 felt like that sometimes with the stock clutch, in went the McLeod, and it shifted like butter.

i kinda agree that the R100 has proven to be a very strong an tough tranny, its just heavy an not the best MPG for a street car or DD in the GT500. also agree i think the clucth is still an issue, made for a DD, but not for the Drag strip an power shifting

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think its combo of poor tranny quality with a poorly designed clutch and poorly trained techs to operate these tsbs! :idea:

im gonna agree with that statement because it has been a hit an miss with the TSB. some have had it done an the car ran 100 times better than ever an never had a problem after. some have had it done more than once an still cant get it right

barstoolman

Established Member

Yeah right :bash:..........that must be the reasoning behing Ford issuing TSB's for the very problem. BTW, 3 revisions to the original Clutch Drag/Flywheel problem to the '07's and '08's..........they still haven't gotten it right. My car is waiting for its clutch and its my fault right????

barstoolman

Established Member
um ya and I guess that TSB and probably thousands of affected cars all have poor drivers?

This is not most owners first rodeo with a car like this and I am no different.

Right on Chuck!!!! There are a lot of Ford apologists on this Forum who think Ford can do no wrong....they are always blaming a problem on someone or something else........its the supplier's problem, its the driver, etc. I'm old enough to remember when the name Ford was not a well thought of brand and a symbol of bad American quality and engineering.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Right on Chuck!!!! There are a lot of Ford apologists on this Forum who think Ford can do no wrong....they are always blaming a problem on someone or something else........its the supplier's problem, its the driver, etc. I'm old enough to remember when the name Ford was not a well thought of brand and a symbol of bad American quality and engineering.

yes that is SAD to hear. :nonono: im not proud of everything ford has done but, im still a ford fan. still make good stuff. just gotta make sure they do the right thing when there is a problem. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread