Question for those that have removed the exhaust baffles

Supernova

Established Member
I'm curious to know how much louder it is vs the stock exhaust with the baffles in. It's very hard to really tell just from watching YouTube videos... I'm really looking for a subjective number like 20% louder, 50% louder, twice as loud, etc. Is it significantly louder than, say, a typical aftermarket cat-back/axle back exhaust? If anyone has any actual decibel level comparisons, that would be great, too. Thanks for the help!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'd say it's significantly louder, but keep in mind it's also affected by where the sound is coming from; it seems louder than it is because the sound is coming from closer. Loudness is subjective. I think it's spot on perfect; I don't have a problem with noise on the highway and I've never set off a car alarm in my parking garage, but I can definitely hear it and it sounds awesome. I've only heard a stock Boss once and it was nearly silent.

MrBonus

Established Member
It's a lot louder but isn't obnoxious under 3500 RPMs. It takes all of 5 minutes to remove the plates so go ahead and try it yourself.

cobra1718

Established Member
I would contribute that with the baffles out its 50% louder almost as if you have two sets of exhaust. Just for shits and giggles I put my plates back in again it was much quieter expecially at highway speeds,

Supernova

Established Member
It's a lot louder but isn't obnoxious under 3500 RPMs. It takes all of 5 minutes to remove the plates so go ahead and try it yourself.

I would, but i don't actually have the car yet! I'm planning on getting a 2013 GT, and thinking about adding the quad exhaust along with GT500 mufflers.

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

AZBOSS

Established Member
I could barely hear the exhaust with the stock mufflers and baffle plates in, with the stock mufflers and plates out it sounds "right" for a car like this. Add in a set of aftermarket mufflers...GOOD TIMES.

LostPony

Established Member
I took mine out today and it is too loud for me. I will run it without at track events, but I like to be able to carry on a conversation with others in car when driving. I guess I'm just getting too old!

MikeTO

Established Member
For those that have removed them, any issues with the local law so far, noise-wise? I had mine out yesterday when I had the track key programming done.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I took mine out today and it is too loud for me. I will run it without at track events, but I like to be able to carry on a conversation with others in car when driving. I guess I'm just getting too old!

Definitely...I have no problem talking with the windows up or down with the baffles out :shrug:

For those that have removed them, any issues with the local law so far, noise-wise? I had mine out yesterday when I had the track key programming done.

Nope. Hell, mine doesn't even set off car alarms in a parking garage - and I tried!!

RTD

Established Member
I took mine out yesterday (I've had the car for a week). It's a little louder at idle, moderately louder at cruise, and way way louder when you get on it.

hori

Established Member
It sounded really good outside, however inside I found it bothersome on long drives and took away from engine sound. I`m gonna try 1/2 and 3/4 discs sometime.

MikeTO

Established Member
I ordered the 1/2 and 3/4 plates from Scott as well; so that will give me some options if I decide full open is too much.

LostPony

Established Member
I ended up making my own 7/8 discs using a hole saw and the factory plates. Sounds great! Long drives are no problem noise wise, and the sound when passing on 2 lane roads is awesome.

SaleenTom

Established Member
Whatever you do don't lose those baffles ! Box them up and put them away, 30 years from now someone that is restoring one of these cars back to original will be paying handsomely for these Boss 302 specific parts !!! I should know I have restored 2 1970 Boss 302's, and you pay out the @ss for these parts.:bash:

DRock9

Established Member
I just bought a 2012 CO Boss and took the baffles out today. I would say that it is around twice as loud.

I do have a quick observation and question though. When I took them out I undid the clamp on one side and the hanger bolt on the other side to see which was easier. Both times though I noticed that the exhaust was hanging lower than before so I loosened the bolts a little and pushed the pipes up close to the floor of the car. Now when I drive I get a harsh resonant drone at a certain RPM and when I go over bumps I hear the pipes bouncing off the floor.

What I think happened was I pushed them up too high so they are resting lightly on the floor and it creates that harsh noise and bangs when I go over bumps.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't taken a look yet so this is just a guess...I am going to fix it tomorrow.

El Jeffe

Established Member
I took mine full out 2 weeks ago and it sounds great....loud but not overpowering inside.
Did notice some reverb that sounds like its coming from the passengers side window or in that area, esp in the lower 3 gears and much more of a bit of a jake breaking feel when you let off the gas quickly when you are on power.....but everyone says it sounds awesome. The reverb is a bit annoying though.....cant seem to find exactly where thats coming from.....

86Fbody

Established Member
I took mine full out 2 weeks ago and it sounds great....loud but not overpowering inside.
Did notice some reverb that sounds like its coming from the passengers side window or in that area, esp in the lower 3 gears and much more of a bit of a jake breaking feel when you let off the gas quickly when you are on power.....but everyone says it sounds awesome. The reverb is a bit annoying though.....cant seem to find exactly where thats coming from.....

Check to see if the pipe on the pass side is tightened all the way, also make sure it isn't touching anything under the car, could be where the reverb is from.

GottaBoss

Established Member
I took mine out yesterday (I've had the car for a week). It's a little louder at idle, moderately louder at cruise, and way way louder when you get on it.

This is a good description IMO.

My son bought me a set of QTP electric dump valves (may have something to do with my taking him to Boss Track Attack). I installed them along with a set of '11/'12 GT500 mufflers. The GT500 mufflers are louder with a deeper tone which balances the sound out more. Being able to open and close the valves is great, I use them all the time depending on my mood and where and when I'm driving. The difference in sound between completely closed and wide open is huge, especially when accelerating and decelerating, and the same holds true between slightly open (like stock) and completely open.

Friends of mine who have heard the sound 'demonstration' always ask for it when they see me in the car. In other words, open the valves and rev it up so they can hear what a real engine sounds like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread