Question on Magnaflow Cat Back Clamps

jeffsavage

Established Member
I just got my Magnaflow exhaust in the mail. Good deal by the way off ebay, $340 shipped! Anyways, quality looks really good. Question on the clamps though. They are the band type. Back when I had the Lightning some L cat backs came with these type of clamps and everyone complained about them, that they didn't hold pipes together very well, even if you totally cranked them down tight. Are the band clamps with the Cobra Magnaflow system any good, or should I go to the hardware store and buy some "normal" C clamps? Thanks!

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I had band clamps with my bassani and the car started throwing P0153 codes, turned out to be a leak on one side. I cranked it down but it just wouldnt seal right. I ordered the dynomax 3" wide band clamps and put em on last night, they are the shiznit! I highly recommend them. They will work for butt or overlap joints. Bout $8.50 each.

StangD281

Established Member
I have the U-clamps on mine, only problem was when one snapped when torquing the bolt. $2 fix at Autozone. Other than that, so far so good.

03DOHC

Established Member
Used the clamps that came with the maggies on mine. No slip so far for almost 9000 miles. Worked OK for me.

juicedgt02

Established Member
Clamping the tips was the hardest part on my magnaflow as the clamps wouldn't hold so the guy welded in few spots, just touched it up. works great now no rattle:nono:

GreySnake

Established Member
U clamps here as well, got the exhaust off of E-Bay probably from the same vendor. Haven't had any issues with them at all. Installation was a breeze already having known about bending the hangars in the back to line up the tips. I read some folks saying to get them welded and I was planning on it in the future, but I haven't felt the need to so far! :shrug:

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
My steeda came with the band clamps. I used them on my Lightning with a bassani cat-back, within the first hour the cat-back went shooting off the truck. I did use the band clamps again but have had much better luck with them on the cobra. A few thousand miles with no movement.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Originally posted by GreySnake
U clamps here as well, got the exhaust off of E-Bay probably from the same vendor. Haven't had any issues with them at all. Installation was a breeze already having known about bending the hangars in the back to line up the tips. I read some folks saying to get them welded and I was planning on it in the future, but I haven't felt the need to so far! :shrug:

By U clamps, you mean the ones you can buy at the local hardware store? I might just try the band ones that came with the kit, as a couple of you have stated they seem to work fine. Please fill me in on the bending of the hangers though... haven't heard about that before? Thanks!

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by jeffsavage
By U clamps, you mean the ones you can buy at the local hardware store? I might just try the band ones that came with the kit, as a couple of you have stated they seem to work fine. Please fill me in on the bending of the hangers though... haven't heard about that before? Thanks!

Apparently, the rear hanger has to be bent to keep the tailpipe from melting the bumper. I don't know which way.

Users who are viewing this thread