Question on pillar pod guages

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
kylightning - There are couple of ways to hook the a/f gauge up. I opted to connect mine in up by the computer. It seemed like it was a better choice and less likely to cause a problem down the road. On the '00 you are looking for pin 87 on the computer connecter. Not sure if it's the same for the '01 but it shouldn't be that hard to find out. If you can get/borrow a toner (used to find a wire in a bundle) you could hook it up down by the o2 sensor and find the end up by the computer. Here is the info I used to connect mine.

Diagram1.jpg

Diagram2.jpg

PCMconnector1.jpg

Chart1.jpg

Chart2.jpg

Chart3.jpg

Please forgive the quality on some of these. They were scanned in and sent to me by a friend. Sometimes you have to work with what you got. :) Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Speedin Bob

Established Member
ky,

The best place IMHO would be where the plastic boost line enters the cabin. This is located at the upper left-hand side of the master cylinder and is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter.

you can pop it out toward the engine compartment, cut a small hole, reach through with a pair of forceps/needlenose pliers and pull the wires though.

Happy tucking... :cool:

OBTW, the boost is best connected by swapping the 90 degree fitting just under the dash for a "T" and adding a rubber boot to the autometer tubing. Easy easy. Make sure to soak the plastic tubing in HOT (not boiling) water for a few secinds as thsi will cause the tubing to straighten and will allow for ease in handling.

I have instructions for the boost gauge if you would like them.

shoot me a PM if interested.

no prob on the kph thang.. ;)

1PT21GW

Established Member
:eek: whoa !!!! whats this Rick about the 2 pod not right? Did i miss something? What was wrong with it ? I have the 2-pod is why I ask. Are you trying to convince me (and get me in trouble with the wife for wanting to change something I have already changed once) that I need to do the 3 pod? what possibly would the 3rd gauge be?

Sheesh, You guys just dont stop......... I dont know how long I can keep up with all of these mods. I have a 70 mustang and a 65 T-bird to restore. lol

Later,

FlaSVT

Established Member
I had one of the early ones and the fit was poor at best. I also had one of the later ones and while the fit was better it still wasn't stock quality let alone show quality. The 3 hole pillar is supposed to be a better fit. That would probably explain why they are still selling it and not the 2 hole model.

Good%20fit%20at%20top%20-%20Bad%20fit%20at%20b.jpg

A little wad of newpaper to hold the end in place
Hunk%20of%20newspaper%20makes%20it%20fit.jpg

Here's how it fit down at the dash by the door jam
Nice%20gap.jpg

Here's the gap at the top with a good fit at the bottom:
Top%20Gap.jpg

I have some more pics around here somewhere but you get the idea.

Last edited:

1PT21GW

Established Member
ahhhh, now i know what you mean.........

I ordered the painted 2 pod,

I didnt like the cheapy look and since there wasnt a way to attach it at the bottom, I hot glued a fastener on to the pillar pod to fit into one of the factory holes on the truck (the hole that is just below the gauge that is the lowest). Now it looks nice.

As far as the color I have several cans (due to many Ford vehicles that I have had with Med Graphite Interior) of matching grey paint for the interior and repainted it myself (again the wife thought I was cuckoo, and the question was "Then why did you order the painted one if you where just going to paint it yourself?")

Tip for anyone wanting to doing this that hasnt done it yet: Buy yourself a can of Med Graphite Interior paint and paint it yourself. Touch-ups will match perfect and you can use it for other applications.

I thought we were talking about something really wrong with them... like breaking . Thanks for the clarification Rick. Sorry jumped the gun there a bit.

FlaSVT

Established Member
Jason - The last one is still in my truck. It doesn't look the way I want but I haven't had time to swap it out for something else. I did order the OEM pillar trim for a 99 L to use. It doesn't have the holes in it for the grab handle. I'm probably going to get a two or three hole pod and mount it to the 99 trim piece.

gityousucka

Established Member
Hey Rick!

What was the part # for the air fuel guage?

i did get the lowtek pod in. Its not one of the earlier ones with the cheezy little pop in tabs. This one screws in and seems to fit real nicely. heck for the money you cant beat it. The stock pillar was far from stallar anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread