Question...

deec73

Established Member
Whats about the "norm" mph increase from 1/8th to 1/4 for a upper/lower Ported eaton Cobra?

Reason I ask, is my car ran 100.5 1/8th mile but only 122 1/4 mile time. Seems like I read somewhere before, peoples cars usually pick up 25-28mph on the big end.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Whats about the "norm" mph increase from 1/8th to 1/4 for a upper/lower Ported eaton Cobra?

Reason I ask, is my car ran 100.5 1/8th mile but only 122 1/4 mile time. Seems like I read somewhere before, peoples cars usually pick up 25-28mph on the big end.

Mine usually sees an increase of 25-28. 2.93/4lb lower. Do you ice down the intercooler box and let the car cool down?

deec73

Established Member
It has the stock IC reservoir and stock H/E on it. I did let it sit a hour or so between. Few runs and I also hot lapped it 4 times in a row. It didn't matter. 22mph was the biggest gain between 1/8 and 1/4.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
It has the stock IC reservoir and stock H/E on it. I did let it sit a hour or so between. Few runs and I also hot lapped it 4 times in a row. It didn't matter. 22mph was the biggest gain between 1/8 and 1/4.

You at least need a larger IC tank to give it a better chance to back half more mph imo. My car did what yours is doing now or it was a hair better until I finally put the IC tank in the trunk. Without at least doing a larger one you'll never have a chance unless it's 40*'s outside.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Agree with Posi. My average difference in 1/8th mile to 1/4 mile MPH for the last 20 passes I had with my 03' was 28.94 MPH. I hit a 30+ MPH difference on 9 of those 20 runs. Really spent a lot of time on icing strategies and it appears to have helped........

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
You at least need a larger IC tank to give it a better chance to back half more mph imo. My car did what yours is doing now or it was a hair better until I finally put the IC tank in the trunk. Without at least doing a larger one you'll never have a chance unless it's 40*'s outside.

Killer chiller ftw on this... haha. I had the stock he, stock ic tank, 130 iat2 / 85 water temps when I started the car in the stages, literally 30 secs later iat2 95 ic water temp 60, another 30 sets and me doing the burnout, ic temp was in the 50's and iat2 was 80... made my pass and end of pass iat2 was upper 90's with ambient being mid 70's. I was worried like you said about not being cool enough on the back end, wasn't an issue thankfully.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Agree with Posi. My average difference in 1/8th mile to 1/4 mile MPH for the last 20 passes I had with my 03' was 28.94 MPH. I hit a 30+ MPH difference on 9 of those 20 runs. Really spent a lot of time on icing strategies and it appears to have helped........

Willing to share some strategies that you have found to work well??

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

Run only when it's cool out if you can. Say 80*'s or colder and only run when the car is all the way cooled down. Then you should at least have an aftermarket IC resevoir to drain down to about an inch deep with water. Next pack it completely full of ice and head to the staging lanes. Once there shut the car off and if you start it wait until there's 4 or 5 spots ahead so you don't start it and move 1 spot. Or push it if you can. Then when you do a burnout use 2nd gear and keep the rpm's around 4,000 or just enough to make sure the motor doesn't bog. High rpm's only builds extra heat. Now you're ready to run.:beer:

I simply use a cheap invertor that's piggybacked on my trucks battery and use 2 box fans to cool the engine. In 85* weather or so I can be ready to run in 30 minutes with the car properly cooled down.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Thanks Brian, do you use a relay or switch to your intercooler pump to run fluid through while the car sits between runs? Or just use the box fans infront of the car?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Thanks Brian, do you use a relay or switch to your intercooler pump to run fluid through while the car sits between runs? Or just use the box fans infront of the car?

I'll let my IC pump circulate sometimes after a run for a few minutes (have a switch in the cup holder) but other than that I don't use the IC fluid much to cool anything.

The box fans get put on top of the motor and set on the very corners of the Eaton (1 on each side) so some of the fans air hits the blower and cools it down too.

Doing it like this it's actually pretty easy. I just start my truck periodically to charge its battery back up.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Absolutely! Here is a writeup I did awhile back for the underhood aftermarket ice boxes. I was getting ready to install a BLW03 ice box which has twice the volume and goes where the stock battery sits, but sold the 03' before getting around to it.

Ice Box Strategies
1) It is possible to get a IAT2 cooling benefit from the PFab, LFP, True Forge style intercooler reservoir if used correctly. Certainly having a larger capacity tank in the trunk can have big advantages, but for the majority of us, the expense and hassle of this setup does not merit the limited track opportunities where it will come in handy. Plus, it weighs more!!! (even though the weight is at least over the rear wheels.....).
2) Obviously cooler days in the 50's and 60's will help here, but this is where you're going to have the best opportunity to set PR's with Terminators anyway. We race for fun in the summer and for records in March, April, October, and November! It will certainly help in the heat, but not to the same degree.
3) Track rentals or uncrowded/short wait track days, where you do not have to wait long in the staging lanes, is a big benefit.
4) You need to cool down the intercooler/supercharger as much as possible after you arrive at the track or make a run, by draining and adding ice in the pit area and letting the IC pump circulate for 20-30 minutes. Make sure your battery is good to go here! Do this immediately after you return to the pits. Sometimes I'll go thru 2 iceing cycles here, but one good one will usually cool it down pretty well.
5) Recommend a 45 to 60 minute wait between runs.
6) To maximize your iceing strategy, the last thing you do before leaving for the staging lanes is drain the reservoir tank again and then add 4-5 "blocks" of ice, (see pic below), into your reservoir tank, topping it off with typical bag ice chips. Your IC pump will be off at this time. You can just use regular chip ice, but it will probably be gone during your run in 2nd gear or so, while the blocks can possibly last through 4th gear.
7) Advance to the staging lanes and keep your car off as much as possible while you're waiting in line. This will conserve your ice and keep your supercharger cooler.
8) Make your run and watch your ET/MPH potentially improve to new records!

I fill 25 or so of these with water, (about 2/3rds full), the night before going to the track, and right before I leave for the staging lanes, pull 4-5 of them out of the cooler, tear the cup away from the ice block and drop the block into the tank.

Use this setup to "jumper" your IC pump in the pits:

ICjump.jpg

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^I took a cooler full of those suckers to the first Terminator Shootout we had.:thumbsup:

deec73

Established Member
How beneficial is a Dual Pass Heat Exchanger? Thanks for the info btw guys.

Im still gonna datalog it and see if its pulling timing.

mustang john

Established Member
Absolutely! Here is a writeup I did awhile back for the underhood aftermarket ice boxes. I was getting ready to install a BLW03 ice box which has twice the volume and goes where the stock battery sits, but sold the 03' before getting around to it.

Ice Box Strategies
1) It is possible to get a IAT2 cooling benefit from the PFab, LFP, True Forge style intercooler reservoir if used correctly. Certainly having a larger capacity tank in the trunk can have big advantages, but for the majority of us, the expense and hassle of this setup does not merit the limited track opportunities where it will come in handy. Plus, it weighs more!!! (even though the weight is at least over the rear wheels.....).
2) Obviously cooler days in the 50's and 60's will help here, but this is where you're going to have the best opportunity to set PR's with Terminators anyway. We race for fun in the summer and for records in March, April, October, and November! It will certainly help in the heat, but not to the same degree.
3) Track rentals or uncrowded/short wait track days, where you do not have to wait long in the staging lanes, is a big benefit.
4) You need to cool down the intercooler/supercharger as much as possible after you arrive at the track or make a run, by draining and adding ice in the pit area and letting the IC pump circulate for 20-30 minutes. Make sure your battery is good to go here! Do this immediately after you return to the pits. Sometimes I'll go thru 2 iceing cycles here, but one good one will usually cool it down pretty well.
5) Recommend a 45 to 60 minute wait between runs.
6) To maximize your iceing strategy, the last thing you do before leaving for the staging lanes is drain the reservoir tank again and then add 4-5 "blocks" of ice, (see pic below), into your reservoir tank, topping it off with typical bag ice chips. Your IC pump will be off at this time. You can just use regular chip ice, but it will probably be gone during your run in 2nd gear or so, while the blocks can possibly last through 4th gear.
7) Advance to the staging lanes and keep your car off as much as possible while you're waiting in line. This will conserve your ice and keep your supercharger cooler.
8) Make your run and watch your ET/MPH potentially improve to new records!

I fill 25 or so of these with water, (about 2/3rds full), the night before going to the track, and right before I leave for the staging lanes, pull 4-5 of them out of the cooler, tear the cup away from the ice block and drop the block into the tank.

Use this setup to "jumper" your IC pump in the pits:

ICjump.jpg

This works GREAT, with the large cups of ice i can make a run and after i still have little ice cubes and the fluid is still cool to the touch. Glad this came up, been wanting to thank IronTerp for the idea!

Only thing i changed was i use plastic cups instead of paper cups and i add 7-9 and very little ice chips in the box before each run.

Last edited:

deec73

Established Member
The DA was 808ft, so thats not to bad at all. It was 62 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread