Questions about purchasing a Lightning

Hye

Established Member
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a original owner 03 L with less than 30k miles.

The thing is, the L is not near where I live. And I do not have experience purchasing a vehicle far from where I live, especially a specialty vehicle like the L. I pulled a carfax and I never see records of fluids be changed, oil changes, service history, etc. In 2008 I see an EGR feedback valve & sensor being replaced, but that is it for the service history. I can also see an open recall for the fuel tank straps. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure if Carfax would show the entire list of service records. I spoke to the owner, he claims the truck has been regularly serviced, but can not provide receipts. This in and of itself threw up a red flag for me, but I don't want to be quick to judge.

I wanted to see (have not asked yet) if the owner would be willing to take the L to the local dealership and do a inspection of the engine and everything underneath the truck. If I purchase this L, I want to be made aware if I need to replace say; worn out bushings, motor mounts, shocks, fluids (trans, diff, supercharger, coolant, etc.) brake pads, rotors, and anything else I can't think of. I'm not too concerned with the exterior condition as a ding or small scratch is relatively easy stuff to find and disclose.

Does anyone have any advice for me for someone who's interested in purchasing a vehicle far from where they live? The reason why I'm so interested in this L is because it's a 1 owner with low miles.

Thank you!

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Where is it located? Has it been modified? Depending on the location, a local fellow Lightning owner would be an added benefit to have him/her check it out in person. If it has been modified, you live in California where they take no prisoners when it comes to being registered from out of state.

With 30 k or less, I doubt there would be more than 6 or 7 oil changes and the suspension, brakes, fluids should be fine. The main thing is unreported accidents and if it has incidental damage, parking lots etc. My 2002 has always been garaged and has no visible weather wear and tear.

Just some food for thought. If you have never owned an L before, do yourself a favor and read through the forums, past and present, these do require a degree of heightened awareness, kind of like a thoroughbred horse vs a plow horse.

Good luck

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are plenty of people that dont bother to keep the service receipts. I tend to keep mine while its under warranty just to cover my ass but after that...

depending on where the truck is there may be a performance shop that is more familiar with Lightnings that can look it over for common issues.

4a7191a

Established Member
Take a vacation and take a flight there. That's what I've done in the past and if she checks out, road trip or arrangement of a moving service.
Lightnings for the most part are super reliable trucks, even when modded. Unless it's far from stock and obviously pounded on it'll be fine.
Where's this thing location at ? Maybe a fellow lightning owner can help you out as well. Still when buying something I'd rather have my personal eyes and hands on it for such an investment. Lightnings barely deprecate so... It's an investment IMO.

Dusten

Established Member
Here are my suggestions

1) find a performance shop or ford dealer that will do a pre-sale inspection. These generally run about 100-150. Well worth the money. This will come out of your pocket usually.

2) The lightning isn't a specialty vehicle in regards to maintenance or such. Its very reliable, and 99% f-150 parts. It didn't require any special maintenance other than supercharger oil that a normal F-150 wouldn't.

The recall for fuel tank straps was only on rigs in the north, where's the truck at?

Hye

Established Member
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the opinions and advice.

Truck is located in PA. Owner told me it's 100% stock, and never modified.

As others have mentioned, I believe a a pre-sale inspection at a local ford dealership is best. Maybe I even take a trip out there.

Robert Francis

Established Member
If this truck is in PA, I'd be surprised he didn't have the fuel tank straps replaced. I live in Michigan and as soon as that notice came out I had mine replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread