Questions about something purchased online private sale

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Hi... I have a few questions regarding a purchase of a football jersey I was buying from someone locally.

The jersey had to be ordered, in which it was...

I paid for the jersey in full prior to picking it up.

I met the person to pick up the jersey and noticed that the jersey was fake. I refused the jersey I requested my money back and it was denied. I wasn't able to get onto paypal to dispute the transaction until a day later due to my work schedule.

I opened a case in paypal and called my credit card and canceled the payment.

Now I have the police department contacting me and im being told that the officer is conducting a criminal investigation.

Does it matter that the original transaction was taking place in a different town than what police department is contacting me from?

What should I do?

cbj5259

Established Member
I'm thinking there are some pertinent details being left out of this story...based on what you posted there isn't enough for any type of criminal case. So if you are the target of a criminal investigation, we are missing something here.

You didn't get the jersey and the seller didn't get paid? That's what I'm reading.
If there truly is a criminal investigation then your best bet is to retain an attorney.

Last edited:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
well I wanted to keep the story short without all the extra drama.....

The seller is up-charging me $500 for the jersey. I found this out right at the time I was picking up the jersey. I asked that he give me back some of the money. He refused, I refused the jersey. I didn't take the jersey.

He called the police because I stopped payment of the jersey through my Credit Card and Payapl. He is stuck with the jersey now. Normally I wouldn't do that to anyone , but he started harassing me and also was rude and very pushy prior to buying the jersey. He lied about where the jersey was coming from and just turned out to be a non trusting person. He was aware of my situation at home with money and tried to take advantage of me ..

The police are calling my cell now. I have not answered being that I am at work and work in a secure faculty where phone use is prohibited. The police left a message stating that they are investigating a criminal case with regards to the jersey ..

Im thinking how could it be criminal.. should I call the police back? or do i need a lawyer? sorry I dont know how to handle it other than saying i dont have the jersey... but how could they know either way it his word against mine and its what they want to believe..

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I would say print out your PayPal dispute claim and CC stop payment info and provide it to the police. If you don't have the jersey and he doesn't have your money, there is no criminal incident. Unless he is trying to say you didn't honor some type of binding contract to purchase, which is civil.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
I guess my question is. If I don't have the jersey how am I to prove I don't have it vs him telling police that I do have it?

There's no proof either way. I don't want to get stuck paying for something that I don't have based on what he's telling police..

My2003Mach1

Established Member
I would say print out your PayPal dispute claim and CC stop payment info and provide it to the police. If you don't have the jersey and he doesn't have your money, there is no criminal incident. Unless he is trying to say you didn't honor some type of binding contract to purchase, which is civil.

Good idea. I'll provide that to officers ....

oldmodman

Established Member
Contact the detective at once.

Give him all the information.

Stress that the seller has the merchandise and you have your money and that the matter is closed. Since there was no sale.

The next thing that "might" happen is that the seller attempts to sue you in small claims court. Where I seriously doubt that he will prevail.

I have quite a bit of experience with chargebacks and unsatisfied buyers and sellers. I have always been able to cancel a transaction if the merchandise was something other than what was represented.

And I have also sued buyers that kept the merchandise and got THEIR credit card companies to withhold the funds. I had to take this one buyer to small claims court to get satisfaction. I won and the buyer still would not pay.

Since they had a shop I got a Marshall to stand next to the register and collect my judgement in cash until I had been paid in full. The shop owner was PISSED!

Users who are viewing this thread