Questions about swapping the flywheel on my 5.0 coyote crate motor

AKDMB

Established Member
So, I couldn't find that much info regarding swapping flywheels on a coyote and I have a few questions on the topic.

I'm going to have to swap the flywheel on my coyote crate motor. I don't know too much about this topic so please bear with me lol.

The removal and install seems rather simple, remove the 8 bolts holding on the flywheel, swap flywheels, torque the 8 new bolts to spec, good to go(brand new crate motor, so replacing the roller pilot bearing shouldn't be needed).

Now, I have heard from what seems like a lot of people that whenever you remove the stock flywheel you need to do a crank position relearn, from either a dealer using IDS or with an SCT X4 under special functions otherwise you will have

pretty bad misfire. To me it seems like you wouldn't disturb the crank position sensor at all during the install, meaning no worries, but as we all know s*** happens. I can't believe that among all the stories that I have heard that someone

successfully didn't disturb it. Has anyone swapped a flywheel and not had to do a crank position relearn? How easy is it to disturb the crank position sensor/trigger (honestly don't know the correct term)? What's the best way to avoid this? It

seems almost inevitable when toqueing the flywheel bolts down. I just want to make sure I don't have to do it. Especially considering I have a crate motor which uses a different PCM, of which I have no idea if it even supports a crank position

relearn or if it can even be done on a crate motor PCM with IDS or an X4. I'm calling FRPP techline tomorrow about this and see what they say.

I haven't seen too many pictures, but I'm assuming this is what the crank trigger looks like with the flywheel removed?

Crank Trigger thingy (1024x498).jpg

As always, Thanks in advance, SVTP rules :rockon:

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Yep, that's the trigger wheel. It has an alignment stamping on the crank side, like a dowel. It has a degree or two of movement in the alignment dimple in the crankshaft, so a flywheel change might end up with it moved slightly.

Regardless a new motor needs a crank learn done anyway. Never had an IDS on a control pack pcm, but I bet the Pro-cal can do it too.

AKDMB

Established Member
Yep, that's the trigger wheel. It has an alignment stamping on the crank side, like a dowel. It has a degree or two of movement in the alignment dimple in the crankshaft, so a flywheel change might end up with it moved slightly.

Regardless a new motor needs a crank learn done anyway. Never had an IDS on a control pack pcm, but I bet the Pro-cal can do it too.

I haven't heard that a crate motor needs the relearn whether you touch the flywheel or not. I know a local shop that's done at least 3 coyotes in kit cars. They mentioned that ford racing speed dial was needed to get everything running right,

but not a crank position relearn. I would have thought that that would have only been nescessary if installing a new motor in a 2011 - 2014 Mustang, but that makes sense, seems like I would have heard more people mention it by now after

reading up on all the coyote swaps.

Users who are viewing this thread