Questions galore!

dlaude

Established Member
Ok I've read ALL the threads in this forum (shoutout/apology to my boss! haha) and others (that I just copied into the 'copy' thread) and am doing much research, but I have a question. And, I'd guess I might not be the only one. Anywho, I can get a bit wordy and over-informative, but I'll work on brevity here.

Want to go twin screw and e85. I look at that as two large purchases: blower and fuel system. Also saving for a house so I can't do it all at once. I'm hoping I can do one in a few months, and the other 8-10 months later...hoping being the key word. First question is, if you could only do one now, which would you do? I'm THINKING the fuel, so I can run e85, but I'm not positive, as I'd guess the blower would provide a bigger boost than e85 alone. This is where you guys come in. Suggestions? Though the title is "questions galore", they are multiple step questions, each based on the answers of the previous questions! Thus I can't ask them all just yet until I figure out whether I want to do fuel or blower first. ha. Thanks.

For reference, I'm looking at this: Lethal Performance SN95 Triple Pump Return Style System [LP-SN95TRIPLERETURN] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs I've read, IIRC, that all I'd need (fuel-wise) is that system and some 80s. Truth or myth? Thanks.

Dave

EDIT - if you guys have your ESP turned off, I guess I should list my (performance) mods. JLT CAI, prochamber, and borla stingers. Stock pullies, no port.

Last edited:

lguizar12

Established Member
Hey Dave I'm installing bap, 60lb injectors, 4 lbs lower on my Pullied cobra. I should be tuned in the beginning of jan with e85. I'll keep you posted on how it does with that simple setup.

I am also saving for a twin screw to run with my e85 setup

dlaude

Established Member
Sounds good, thanks! I'm trying to ask and learn now, cause as much as I'd want to just get what'd get me by now, I want to get what I'd need for a ts! I'd love to do exactly what you're doing, but then I don't want to have to sell it all to upgrade later, that's not in my budget. I think, though I'm not positive, some of the stuff for just pullied cobras (ie - mafia, bap, etc) are not necessary if you do the entire fuel system, that's why I'm asking before I do anything. I don't want to buy that stuff just to sell it later. If a new fuel system would also prevent me from needing to do the pprv delete kit, I'd also save there, too.

lguizar12

Established Member
Yea I am not patient at all! But hey little by little I'll get there ;).

04 sleeper will chime in! Hes helped me tremendously!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey Dave I'm installing bap, 60lb injectors, 4 lbs lower on my Pullied cobra. I should be tuned in the beginning of jan with e85. I'll keep you posted on how it does with that simple setup.

I am also saving for a twin screw to run with my e85 setup

Why not just go 80lb injectors?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
At first I was going to suggest the blower first then fuel system and E-85 later.
Then I remembered all the driveability issues that the PPRV valve in the tank gave me.
I had installed the Whipple first with 60#s and a BAP and made significant power increases over my pullied Eaton but was not able to take advantage of the power because of the PPRV.

It wasn't until I installed a complete triple Fore return system and 80#s, which gave me all the fuel I needed and totally eliminated the PPRV, that I was able to enjoy the increased power of the ts.

In retrospect I may have been better off going with the complete fuel system first, getting that out of the way. Then later going with the ts and installing 80#s when I did the blower upgrade in preparation for E-85 instead of the 60#s first and having to remove the blower for the 80#s later. Plus your only dropping the tank once for the fuel upgrade and eliminating the PPRV at the same time.

Just my two cents. I'm interested to see what 04 sleeper thinks about that. Kevin am I on track there? If Kevin disagrees with that plan then do what he tells you cause IMHO he's a freekin' genius!

Ray H.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Dave,

First off welcome! :beer:

Sorry for the late response as I have had a sick wife and have been spending time on my clutch install.

I believe Ray has the right idea by doing the fuel system first and then going twin screw later.

I would go with the Fore Triple Return system (like yu have linked) and only hook up 2 of the 3 pumps for now. You can leave the 3rd pump in the tank but only run 2. Leave the wires unhooked until you get the twin screw.

Since you mentioned that you did not want to buy and resell parts, I feel this is the better way to go. You will save on the BAP and PPRV. The MAFIa you will need either way.

I know this will be overkill on the fuel system with the stock blower, but it will be ready as soon as you bolt on the twin screw.

You could at least put an upper pulley on in the mean time and have some fun while you save for the TS.

This is what I would do.

Hope this helps, Kevin

dlaude

Established Member
At first I was going to suggest the blower first then fuel system and E-85 later.
Then I remembered all the driveability issues that the PPRV valve in the tank gave me.
I had installed the Whipple first with 60#s and a BAP and made significant power increases over my pullied Eaton but was not able to take advantage of the power because of the PPRV.

It wasn't until I installed a complete triple Fore return system and 80#s, which gave me all the fuel I needed and totally eliminated the PPRV, that I was able to enjoy the increased power of the ts.

In retrospect I may have been better off going with the complete fuel system first, getting that out of the way. Then later going with the ts and installing 80#s when I did the blower upgrade in preparation for E-85 instead of the 60#s first and having to remove the blower for the 80#s later. Plus your only dropping the tank once for the fuel upgrade and eliminating the PPRV at the same time.

Just my two cents. I'm interested to see what 04 sleeper thinks about that. Kevin am I on track there? If Kevin disagrees with that plan then do what he tells you cause IMHO he's a freekin' genius!

Ray H.

Ray,

Thank you, that's some good stuff there. I was thinking that about the PPRV, that's why I was leaning towards the fuel system first. Did you get the fuel system I linked to above?

Dave,

First off welcome! :beer:

Sorry for the late response as I have had a sick wife and have been spending time on my clutch install.

I believe Ray has the right idea by doing the fuel system first and then going twin screw later.

I would go with the Fore Triple Return system (like yu have linked) and only hook up 2 of the 3 pumps for now. You can leave the 3rd pump in the tank but only run 2. Leave the wires unhooked until you get the twin screw.

Since you mentioned that you did not want to buy and resell parts, I feel this is the better way to go. You will save on the BAP and PPRV. The MAFIa you will need either way.

I know this will be overkill on the fuel system with the stock blower, but it will be ready as soon as you bolt on the twin screw.

You could at least put an upper pulley on in the mean time and have some fun while you save for the TS.

This is what I would do.

Hope this helps, Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for this, this is also good stuff. I'm glad you guys agree with what I have been thinking. I also realize that the Fore Triple Return system would be overkill, but when I finally do get the TS, it will be just right. Will the stock injectors be ok until I get the ts or should I get the 80s with the fuel system?

So with all that being said, here is what I'm thinking:
round 1
fuel system
2.76 pulley
idlers
MAFia
tune for E85

round 2
TS
80s
re-tune

What about plugs? Round 1 or 2 and what do you guys recommend? I believe the BF idlers are the most common, but do you guys think they are the best performing?

Thanks again.

Dave

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Kevin,

Thanks for this, this is also good stuff. I'm glad you guys agree with what I have been thinking. I also realize that the Fore Triple Return system would be overkill, but when I finally do get the TS, it will be just right. Will the stock injectors be ok until I get the ts or should I get the 80s with the fuel system?

So with all that being said, here is what I'm thinking:
round 1
fuel system
2.76 pulley
idlers
MAFia
tune for E85
You will need the injectors now.

round 2
TS
80s
re-tune
OK, but you already have the injectors from round 1.

What about plugs? Round 1 or 2 and what do you guys recommend?
Go with the NGK BR7EF plugs gapped right out of the box for both setups.

I believe the BF idlers are the most common, but do you guys think they are the best performing?
Thanks again.
Dave
I had the Billetflow idlers and switched for the Metco Double Bearing Idlers. I like the Metco's better.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
dlaude. Yes the triple Fore system you linked to is the one I'm running. It is a return style with the rails and 80# injectors. I've been very happy with it so far. My '03 is in storage right now but I was able to put a few hundred miles on her before putting her away. The advice I got from Kevin was first rate also. he know's what's up when it comes to E-85 and what works with our cars.
Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Ray H.

dlaude

Established Member
You will need the injectors now.

OK, but you already have the injectors from round 1.

Go with the NGK BR7EF plugs gapped right out of the box for both setups.

I had the Billetflow idlers and switched for the Metco Double Bearing Idlers. I like the Metco's better.

Awesome, thanks.

dlaude. Yes the triple Fore system you linked to is the one I'm running. It is a return style with the rails and 80# injectors. I've been very happy with it so far. My '03 is in storage right now but I was able to put a few hundred miles on her before putting her away. The advice I got from Kevin was first rate also. he know's what's up when it comes to E-85 and what works with our cars.
Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Ray H.

Sounds good, will do. Unfortunately this is going to be a very slow process for me. I am just gathering as much data as I can now because with the holidays around the corner, my loved ones will be getting me something (ie - pulley/idlers), but nothing too pricey (ie - fuel system).

Fore Triple Pump fuel system I'm given 5 options with that purchase. I assume fuel rail finish is a preference thing, correct? Do you guys have a preference there? The rest, I believe are a bit more important decisions (can you tell I know very little about fuel systems? haha). Would you recommend an OEM Fuel Level Sender? An Aeroquip AQP Hose Upgrade? An OEM Replacement Gasket? And which Fuel Filter option? Thanks, and don't worry, I believe after these answers I will be satiated for a while haha.

dlaude

Established Member
To update you all: I have in my possession the 3 pump return fuel system (my original post link), a 2.76 pulley, idlers (well, most of them), and 80lb injectors. All I need is one 100mm black bf pulley, MAFia, plugs, and a trip to the tuner! My plan is calling Tim Barth from Mr. Norms Garage up in BUFU, IL (somewhat near Rockford)...I've heard all good things. I'm letting him do the install (aren't I nice?), so he'll have it for a few days. I plan on calling him soon and setting up an appointment for mid/end of March. I'm pretty...nay, VERY excited. Heck I'm excited just to take the cover off her and re-connect the battery haha.

Thanks for all your help, you guys have helped greatly. This was touched on above, but not really directly answered, but in a year or so down the road when I get bored and upgrade to a TS (which is really the goal - this step I'm doing now is just a means to an end), all I'll need is JUST the blower...and then a re-tune? Man, I love a small parts list! Well, by small I mean the amount, not the cost haha.

dlaude

Established Member
Oh yeah, that's something I'll need to know right when I do the blower swap, huh? Hm so if I do that it'd have to be with the blower. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the reminder!

dlaude

Established Member
Dropping off the Cobra on Friday!!!! Picking it up the 26th!!!! He said he'll strap it to the dyno on saturday so I can take a couple videos, even though he'll already have the tuning done. VERY stand up guy! Look forward to meeting him AND even more so, getting the cobra back!!!! Will keep posted.

dlaude

Established Member
Yup, thanks! And thank you for all your help, all you guys! I'm sure it'll be just about 5-10hp more than a regular 93 tune for 2.76, cai, mid-pipe, and catback, but I'm fine with that!

dlaude

Established Member

Ray H.

Ray,

I never put much thought into the boost overlay until recently, and I found your posts. Had no idea that it was you that make the overlay for us! Visited the site and just purchased mine! Got the big boy cause I'm planning on doing the blower swap in the (hopefully near) future. Cobra is at the shop now, but I'm picking it up Saturday, and if I have my overlays by then, I'll be putting them on! So excited! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about LFP, too, I'll spread the word about their shadyness.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Ray,

I never put much thought into the boost overlay until recently, and I found your posts. Had no idea that it was you that make the overlay for us! Visited the site and just purchased mine! Got the big boy cause I'm planning on doing the blower swap in the (hopefully near) future. Cobra is at the shop now, but I'm picking it up Saturday, and if I have my overlays by then, I'll be putting them on! So excited! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about LFP, too, I'll spread the word about their shadyness.
Here is a "How To" I did that might help you with your install.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ton-high-boost-overlay-install-lots-pics.html

Users who are viewing this thread