quick question

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
what happens if i buy an 03 in some other state and then the car happens to brake? do i have to take it back to the same dealership that i got it from or can i take it to any dealership in my state? i am really looking forward to getting an 03, but i dont want to pay much/if anything over msrp. i also dont wanna be stuck with a car that vibrates and pulls to the right without the opportunity of having it fixed. Getting an 03 for msrp seems pretty hard in CA. thanks for your imput.
As of right now i am waiting for a dealership to call me as soon as they recieve a sonic blue coupe. Only problem is they want 5k over msrp..i'll try to talk them down, if i can't i'll just have to keep on waiting.
thanks

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
You can buy the car out of state and have it serviced where you live. Your warranty will still be honored at any Ford dealer.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
If you live in California you have much bigger issues to deal with. Don't know for sure but you may have difficulty getting the car registered in CA if you bring it in from a non smog state such as michigan. The package for emmisions is different in CA and a car from Michigan would not be certified for use in CA.

As far as warranty goes any Ford dealer can provide warranty work although you are best off going to an SVT dealer for powertrain issues.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
damn... i completly forgot about the emmission laws in ca.:cuss: :fm: :mj: :gt: . i can start forgeting about the 03 untill next year anyway..

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by hoodedsnake
If you live in California you have much bigger issues to deal with. Don't know for sure but you may have difficulty getting the car registered in CA if you bring it in from a non smog state such as michigan. The package for emmisions is different in CA and a car from Michigan would not be certified for use in CA.
Negative. You should have no problem bringing a new car into CA from out of state.

SVTyballz

Established Member
I doubt there would be an issue. I don't think that there is a separate Calif. emissions model. Correct me if im wrong but I think they are all 50 state compliant.

gary

forced03

Established Member
I think all the cobras, CA included, are identical per svt hotline. Although you might have an issue bringing one in from out of state because I think CA bound Cobras have a little different paperwork. Also, heard from a dealer, could be true or not, but he said an out of state car must have x amount of miles before it can be registered in state.

Keep calling around. You can find one at msrp. I got one and found several others too.

03DOHC

Established Member
Negative. My '97 Cobra came from out of state to CA. ZERO problems with registration or smog.

03DOHC

Established Member
Not to mention I almost purchaced my 2003 Cobra from a dealer in Washington State and we talked long about this deal, but I found one semi-local so I didn't have to get it from him. They were going to have it shipped straight to my local dealer from Detroit.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
If you look at the order information for the '03 Cobra you'll see that there are codes for cars meant for shipment to California, New York, Washington and other smog rules states with regs similar to California Law. Cars that meet mileage and age requirements are allowed in if they pass the smog test. As far as new cars it states right in the order guide that shipment of a car built for a non smog state to a smog state is a violation of state law.

Not to nitpick, hell I disagree with this government intervention on almost every level but the build codes and the smog rules are out there. Regardless of any anecdotal opinion to the contrary.

svt-tmleader

Established Member
03 Cobras (and all fords for that matter) are not 50 state legal. There is a code for CA emmissions. If you are a resident of CA, you can buy a car out of state, but only if it is equipped w/CA emissions (code 422).

hoodedsnake

Established Member
Thank you teamleader, I read the code on my order info but couldn't remember the number.

Only the feds and the peoples republic of CA could make this stuff up. Not us.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
oh well..i guess i'll continue my search...
thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by svt-tmleader
03 Cobras (and all fords for that matter) are not 50 state legal. There is a code for CA emmissions. If you are a resident of CA, you can buy a car out of state, but only if it is equipped w/CA emissions (code 422).
What is on a CA 2003 Cobra that isn't on a 49 State model?

griffined

SVT driver
I'll guess it's just a sticker under the hood. That's what the DMV here will look for(and the VIN) when you register an out of state car. My 03 is scheduled to be built at the end of the month, so I can't look. I think in past years there might have been a difference in the number of cats, but I don't think that was the case on the 01's.

If your car is less than so many years old, and has less than so many miles on it (7500 I think) and NO CA emissions cert, you CAN NOT register it in CA.

It's my understanding that if you want a 03, you need to either makes sure it has the milage on it already, or has the emissions certification for CA, in order to register it. Kinda puts a crimp in internet shopping across the US for a better deal than the local dealers.:smmon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread