Quicktime pro bellhousing question

wee04svt

Established Member
Just bought a quicktime pro bellhousing and was reading the instructions and it talks about using a dial indicator to check the alighnment between the housing and crankshaft but reading further into the instructions noticed it states they dont offer an offset dowl pin for alighnment corrections on the 4.6 or 5.4. The instructions are for all bellhousning in genenral ford, gm, chrysler ect. Was really wondering does anyone have any experience with this part and do i need to check the bellhousing alighnment still knowing there doesnt appear to be an alignment correction??? Dont really feel like taking the front cover off my trans to check.

Thanks
sean

oldmodman

Established Member
It's pretty easy to check if you have a dial gauge and a magnetic base. Lock the base to the back of the crank and turn the engine over by hand. Check to see if and how much the bellhousing is off center.

You want absolutely no more than five thousands, and you should shoot for zero.

I drilled out the bolt holes in mine (after it measured out a little over .005). Then bolted it back up to the engine and used a dead blow mallet to tap it until I got zero misalignment. Then welded the thick spacer/washers to the Quicktijme Bellhousing. I used a heavy drill prees to make sure the holes were exactly round and 90 degrees to the clamping plate.

Here is a nice two page discussion showing how to do it with attached pictures. This method is actually much more accurate that fumbling with adjustable dowel pins. You no longer are using pins at all. And the thick, machined washers will provide a much stronger and bigger mating surface for the bolts to clamp against. The only drawback is that the bellhousing will likely only fit perfectly on that one block.

Here is the link to the post with pics and the full two page discussion.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/187627-Tranny-is-Out!?p=1807537#post1807537

Users who are viewing this thread