R.I.P. SSA John Capano, ATF

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
RIP brother. That would be a very difficult thing to live with.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
RIP brother. That would be a very difficult thing to live with.

It would be tough to handle but not as tough on John's family. When I heard this story last week it was relayed to me by the Sheriff's deputy who is in my usual courtroom, who is a retired NYPD Sgt. He brought up some interesting things about retired NYPD carrying concealed. Also, initially he thought it was another NYPD officer shot.

Then, I heard this story from one of my best friends who is a Supervisory ATF agent who knew John really well.

It is a sad situation all the way around.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
RIP.

Thoughts and prayers out to everyone involved in this.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
RIP
I grew up one town over and still live locally. Robbing drug stores for Oxycontin has become epidemic around here and not the first that has resulted in a death.:nonono:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Read about this one... Can't imagine what that guy is going through right now..

RIP and I hope the other officer involved can eventually come to grips with what happened and not let it eat him. :(

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Read about this one... Can't imagine what that guy is going through right now..

RIP and I hope the other officer involved can eventually come to grips with what happened and not let it eat him. :(

It is yet to be determined if the retired Lt. Met the requirement for concealed carry by retired LEOs. The other off duty NYPD officer shot the actual criminal.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
It is yet to be determined if the retired Lt. Met the requirement for concealed carry by retired LEOs. The other off duty NYPD officer shot the actual criminal.

Ouch I must have misread the info on that... :( Thanks for pointing that out.

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
VERY sad thing that happened to John... I am not sure about the details, all I know is what I saw in newsday so I won't make any judgements on what exactly happened right or wrong... My prayers go out to his family. RIP our brother in arms SSA Capano.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Agent Capanos' brother posts on another forum I am on. They just had another death in the family as well. Their mother I think?

Searched on ODMP. 3 of 8 friendly fire shootings (in which a PO was intentionally shot and killed by another) nationwide since the beginning of 2011 were in New York. NYPD was involved in all three. All 8 officers/agents killed were in plainclothes or off duty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread