R12 to R134a, need some help

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
Iv searched and talked to some shops and people about this. Half of them say use the $50~ kit at autozone and half of them say don't. I need to get my ac working again so has anyone used the conversion kit or have any other way to convert it? As far as i know its nothing but o rings, oil, and R134a.

big dad

Established Member
First of all replace all the "O" rings. Secondly, drain as much of the R-12 oil out as possible. Then replace the accumulater assembly which also comes with the suction hose. You should get the R-134a line adapters with the kit.
When I did mine I only installed the low side adapter because you can evacuate and recharge on the low side, and the high side was leaking, so I just eliminated that possibility.
Install 7oz. of the PAG oil that is supplied with the retrofit kit.
You will need 36oz. of R-134a. That is approximately 85% of the R-12 charge which is what you want. 3 cans of R-134a should do the trick. This should get you on the right track.

99BlownVert

Established Member
When I got my car all of the r12 had leaked out so all I did was buy the r134 kit from napa for 50 bucks and converted it myself. I charged it up just fine without doing anything else besides putting the adapters on. It blows ice cold, colder than any other air I have ever had lol, has to be in the low 40s easy I love it.

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
Thanks for the replys.

I was getting ready to buy a bunch of stuff to convert it when i noticed it already had the little r12 to r134a adapters on it. Then i looked at the accumulator and noticed it is not Ford and has a sticker saying either r134a on it so apparently its already converted lol. I will still flush it and and do O rings though.

Users who are viewing this thread