raced my pullied cobra for the first time!

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
so i took the cobra out and raced it for the first time ever last night. i went to famoso raceway in bakersfield, ca. i'm not sure as to whether i should be happy with these times or not...my goal was to hit 11's and it didn't happen

my first run wasn't awful for my first time...i've never launched a car on drag radials before so i didn't quite know what to do since the car actually hooked up, lol. i ran a measly 2.02 60' and managed to pull out a 12.38 @ 115.8

the next run was my best of the night...i launched the car much better, but the damn nitto dr's spun out of the hole pretty good...it looked like this...

R/T - 0.669
60' - 1.87
330' - 5.27
1/8 - 8.00
MPH - 91.54
1000' - 10.31
1/4 - 12.25
MPH - 116.48

the last run was a complete nightmare...i spun out of the hole again and my car did something weird at the top of first and second, almost like the traction control was trying to come on? (i have it tuned out )...and on top of all that i missed 4th, lol. 13.03 @ 90.7

i really wanted 11's tonight, but my lack of experience and not getting the nittos to hook up well didn't help at all. i kinda thought my car would trap 118+ with the mods i have??? does this seem slow to you guys? or is it about right? oh well...overall i had a lot of fun and will be going back soon! :beer:

Last edited:

Rock SVT

Established Member
I would say your times are probably about normal even though that's not much of what your going to see on here. Keep going back and you'll get better and the car easily has 11's in it. Work on your shift points to get your trap speed up a little bit. You'll get it. :beer:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I've raced at Fomoso and it's a weird track, when I went heads up with three random cars, they all said they ran like .3 slower than normal, I mean I ran a 14.0 @ 106mph with a 1.9 60ft, something doesn't seem right lol.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
I've raced at Fomoso and it's a weird track, when I went heads up with three random cars, they all said they ran like .3 slower than normal, I mean I ran a 14.0 @ 106mph with a 1.9 60ft, something doesn't seem right lol.

so i did the math and it said the DA last night was 2154'. famoso is at 635' elevation. i don't know too much about da, but i assume that isn't very good? :??:

BIGWHUP03

Established Member
the last run was a complete nightmare...i spun out of the hole again and my car did something weird at the top of first and second, almost like the traction control was trying to come on? (i have it tuned out )...and on top of all that i missed 4th, lol. 13.03 @ 90.7

I think I know what you're talking about. Its like its missing almost and the blower has a different sound to it?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
did u do a PPRV delete? those are very decent times for your mods. a lil more seat time and get rid of the nittos for the track and you'll get that 11.xx

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
did u do a PPRV delete? those are very decent times for your mods. a lil more seat time and get rid of the nittos for the track and you'll get that 11.xx

no i haven't done the pprv delete yet, im waiting till i install a whipple in a few months and am getting a fore hat. if you're referring to my car feeling like it was cutting out, it didn't feel like pprv hesitation because it wasn't in between my shifts? :??:

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I know the exact hesitation you are talking about. The car sputters and the blower sounds totally diff. Almost like something is holding the car back. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I loaded the stock tune back in, fired it up and then reloaded my pulley tune. I reset the ECU for good measure and once it cooled down it never did it again. What was the temp at the track? It went from usually 60-65 to 93 degrees during a weird heat wave so I think that had something to do with it for me. I thought it might have been limp mode due to the high IAT's as I was passing a car in 3rd when it happened and I lost power. Did not throw any codes though. :shrug:

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
Good numbers! my first track visit ended up with a 12.2 @ 120 w a 2.0 60. I am going to go back on et streets and give it hell.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
I know the exact hesitation you are talking about. The car sputters and the blower sounds totally diff. Almost like something is holding the car back. It happened to me a few weeks ago. I loaded the stock tune back in, fired it up and then reloaded my pulley tune. I reset the ECU for good measure and once it cooled down it never did it again. What was the temp at the track? It went from usually 60-65 to 93 degrees during a weird heat wave so I think that had something to do with it for me. I thought it might have been limp mode due to the high IAT's as I was passing a car in 3rd when it happened and I lost power. Did not throw any codes though. :shrug:

it was about 85 degrees where i was at. it happened on my very last run after the car had been sitting in the staging lanes for about 2 hours. when i came up to the line, my intake charge temps were between 120-130 degrees and the coolant temp was about 183 degrees. mine didn't throw any engine codes either and didn't act up on the drive home whatsoever :shrug:

musclefan21

Established Member
gap your plugs to .28 to .30 first. if that doesnt fix it then replace the FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor)

good runs, you will get your 11 sec slip. keep trying!

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
very similar to my first outing in my 2.93 upper only car. i ran 7.99@89 1/8th very first pass. it was the only clean pass i got off as the next i missed a gear. im going back on slicks to see what i can do.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
the hesitation from not having the pprv delete will happen right after u shift then step into the throttle again, not while in between your shifts. this is what it sounds like to me but i could be wrong.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Not bad man...I ran a 8.3 at 86mph which was my best of 3 times the 1st time out on slicks the other week. I'm going back this weekend and hoping to get in the 7's.......practice makes perfect everyone keeps tellin' me...

Users who are viewing this thread